Baltic Discovery 25th June (St Petersburg)

We are doing St Petersburg in July and have booked a 2 day Grand Tour with Alla Tours. We wanted a small group from our own ship, the Celebration, and by posting on Cruise Critic Thomson Roll Call found others from this ship had booked with Alla, we had originally been in touch with SPB Tours who also seemed very good, but needed to be with our own passengers. Alla also give discount to Cruise Critic members.

Don't worry if no one answers your post immediately, I started mine early January and have only just seen any action.

Alan

You'll likely know this, but if you book independently I think you have to ensure the visas are included.

When you book through the cruise line they see to all that - however I believe trying to DIY for visas in Russia is not straightforward.

• 1 month later...

We are on this cruise our tours in Russia we booked through Thompsons seem reasonably priced and no hassle with visas .Hope to meet up with CC members but not many threads for this date.

Only problem with Thomson Tours in St Petersburg is they are no where near as comprehensive as Alla Tours or SPB, most are just a visit to one attraction, Alla & SPB are two day Grand Tours, our thinking was we are unlikely to visit St Petersburg again so we wanted to see everything possible while there.

You'll likely know this, but if you book independently I think you have to ensure the visas are included

That isn't quite right - cruise passengers do NOT need visas as long as they are using a registered (ie approved) tour company/guide.

What you do need is the tour company booking in order to get through Russian immigration.

The relevant bit on the FCO site says:

"According to Russian law, cruise or ferry passengers can stay in Russia for 72 hours without visas only if they have booked tours through the companies officially licensed by the Russian government. These companies will supply you with a tour ticket, which is called a blanket visa or booking confirmation, and let you pass the customs/immigration offices without any other documents except your valid passport and the migration card that you will be given onboard.

This visa-free exception applies only to those who travel within an organised group and who don’t intend to explore the cities on their own. Cruise passengers are free to use any authorised local travel agencies (not only cruise ship tour companies) for visa-free shore tours."

Quite right Terry, we booked with Alla Tours and we have the tickets/visa via e-mail already, all sorted. Roll on July 15th. Alla Tours send us updates via email, for our peace of mind - just great.