Tui Discovery cabin selection

Hi all, we have just booked our first Thomson cruise; although it will not be our first cruise, it'll be the first time we have cruised with our 1 year old :eek:

As this isn't our only holiday this year, to try and keep the cost down, we opted for the "standard" cabin which is an inside cabin on deck 2 or 3 (12m sq). However, since booking I am wondering whether we should have upgraded.

The options would be to an:

Outside on deck 2 or 3 (this would automatically give us more space - an extra 1-2m sq but knowing our luck if we booked this we'd have a small porthole (which is pointless!) and I don't really want to be seeing the waves splashing the window!! - guess I could close the curtains haha)

OR

Inside plus on deck 7 or 8 (this would give us an extra 2-3m sq).

Neither sound a lot of extra space, but am wondering if it is worth paying a bit extra given we will also have a cot in with us. Also I believe there are some advantages of being on a lower deck for less motion?

Would really appreciate hearing your views, especially anyone that has travelled with an infant.

Also, what are the chances of a free upgrade?!

Many thanks in advance.

As a previous cruiser you should be aware of the pitfalls of location. Have you chosen your cabin yet? Is it handy for the facilities you need with a one year old for moving around the ship.

It would be headlines on Sky News if TUI gave you a free upgrade.

It will be a new experience for you with the little one and you will learn from it. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone for your replies. No we haven't chosen our cabin yet - they said we would be told at embarkation, or we could pay £45 to choose one - that would be on top of possibly upgrading to a bigger/higher deck cabin. The cost just seems to mounting :o Guess it's a decision we'll have to make, especially as it sounds they don't give upgrades (as the previous companies I've cruised with have).

Thanks again

Grrrr (it says £45 online but I'll soon find out when I ring!). They did try to charge me £30 for the privilege of booking direct with them!!

I still have a "dilemma" though - we've decided to pay for an inside plus on deck 7 or 8 - the ones on deck 7 are forward (I've only ever been midship or aft and always on a higher deck) so concern me a little, and the ones on deck 8 are all below the swimming pool areas (I've been advised to avoid this due to dragging of sunbeds, and not just in the daytime either)!!

As this isn't our only holiday this year, to try and keep the cost down, we opted for the "standard" cabin which is an inside cabin on deck 2 or 3 (12m sq). However, since booking I am wondering whether we should have upgraded.

The options would be to an:

Outside on deck 2 or 3 (this would automatically give us more space - an extra 1-2m sq but knowing our luck if we booked this we'd have a small porthole (which is pointless!) and I don't really want to be seeing the waves splashing the window!! - guess I could close the curtains haha)

OR

Inside plus on deck 7 or 8 (this would give us an extra 2-3m sq).

Neither sound a lot of extra space, but am wondering if it is worth paying a bit extra given we will also have a cot in with us. Also I believe there are some advantages of being on a lower deck for less motion?

Would really appreciate hearing your views, especially anyone that has travelled with an infant.

Also, what are the chances of a free upgrade?!

Many thanks in advance.

We booked late and no deck 3 available so we opted for 2026 (this was the nearest to midship we could get). The cabin was a good size and had a bigger window than we had on other Thomson ships. It was also quiet apart from the air con which I guess you would get in all cabins. The bathroom was good but the shower was small. The bed was very comfortable. We were a little unsure when we booked, but it turned out to be great especially when leaving/returning to the ship as the gangway was only 1 flight of stairs below. Can't imagine you would ever get water splashing the window. Hope this helps

We had an inside on deck 6 (6537) just a few cabins along from the Atrium. Thought we might get noise from Atrium but it was very quiet. We always sleep using earplugs so do not hear aircon. Excellent location for lifts and restaurants and coffee shop.

Worth paying premium for selected cabin if you are worried about where you might end up. Personally we have only paid for TA cabins and taken pot luck other times.

Discovery is a big step up from other Thomson ships you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For part of our second week we were on deck seven and in cabin 7007.

I don't think that this was an inside plus but it seemed a bit more spacious than the cabin we had had on deck 2 -2001.

Maybe because of the layout things might have been more spacious ?

Other than air conditioning noise there was little other noise in this cabin and it was fairly near to a lift.

Also because of its situation there wasn't much foot traffic. We didn't seem to feel any great amount of ship movement.

Looking at the inside plus cabins that are available on floor seven I'm not so sure that any of them seem any better situated from each other so may not be worth the extra to pre-choose one.

It's difficult to know what to do sometimes ....