Luggage under Viking beds

hawkeye65

We've been advised by river cruising veterans that pax store their luggage under the beds. Is there ample room there? Specifically, does the new hard-sided luggage fit? Do the large suitcases (what used to be called Pullman size) fit? We know we're restricted by airlines as to the weight. Do we need to restrict the size by under-bed space?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We have very large hard sided luggage and it always fits. Worst case senario, you can push one case under each side of the bed open so it is half as tall as normal - but we've never had to do that.

PS: Get a portable luggage scale because European airports are much more strict about baggage weight than in the US, otherwise you might find yourself having to repack in the airport. Also, remember, only 1 carryon per person on the return flights from Europe and these must be the small size carryon bags - not roll aboards. My husband ran into this issue, after I warned him about it and I wound up having to check my carryon as he had a backpack full of camera equipment and a briefcase with his computer equipment.

Also, remember, only 1 carryon per person on the return flights from Europe and these must be the small size carryon bags - not roll aboards.

Carry-on limits are the same outbound as they are on the return if you are on the same airline, and that is typically one carry-on and one personal item (plus extra allowance for medical devices) ..

Different airlines have different limits of course but there is no general ban on roll-aboard cases ex-Europe.

What you will find is that even with USA based airlines, most of them have reduced the allowed size of the carry-on cases to 22"x14"x9"..

So just check the allowance for the airline and class you are traveling in and stick to that....

Do the large suitcases (what used to be called Pullman size) fit? We know we're restricted by airlines as to the weight. Do we need to restrict the size by under-bed space?

Generally speaking if your bags are within the airline limits the odds are they will fit under the bed just fine.

Most airlines are working on a 62" size limit (length+width+depth) so check your particular airline as some are a little more generous, but there will definitely be a size limit not just a weight limit.

Carry-on limits are the same outbound as they are on the return if you are on the same airline, and that is typically one carry-on and one personal item (plus extra allowance for medical devices) ..

Different airlines have different limits of course but there is no general ban on roll-aboard cases ex-Europe.

What you will find is that even with USA based airlines, most of them have reduced the allowed size of the carry-on cases to 22"x14"x9"..

So just check the allowance for the airline and class you are traveling in and stick to that....

Not true, outbound from the US from DFW, my husband was allowed 2 carryons. But the airport in Barcelona would only allow him 1 carryon for the flight back which is why I had to check my carryon.

Not true, outbound from the US from DFW, my husband was allowed 2 carryons. But the airport in Barcelona would only allow him 1 carryon for the flight back which is why I had to check my carryon.

I'm sorry, but this is nothing to do with the fact you were returning from Spain and everything to do with the allowance on the airline you were on and the size of whatever it was he was trying to bring onboard... :)

You will find that EU airports are better at enforcing the allowances, but the allowances are not different between ex-USA and ex-EU

I'm sorry, but this is nothing to do with the fact you were returning from Spain and everything to do with the allowance on the airline you were on and the size of whatever it was he was trying to bring onboard... :)

You will find that EU airports are better at enforcing the allowances, but the allowances are not different between ex-USA and ex-EU

He had a normal size briefcase and a small camera backpack both of which he was allowed to carryon for the Iberia flight from the US to Barcelona. When we checked in for the return flight (in Barcelona as well) they specifically told him he could only have 1 carryon and would have to check the other. His briefcase contained his work computer and his backpack contained about $30,000 in camera equipment. I also had a small carryon - the hard shell kind that is so small an IPAD would not fit in it as it is primarily meant for makeup and medicine (and that's what I had in it). I did not have a purse as I don't carry a purse in Europe. I checked my carryon and carried on his briefcase and he carried on his camera equipment in the backpack. So it had nothing whatsoever to do with the size of his carryons. It had to do with the fact he was only allowed 1 carryon and I was only allowed 1 carryon.

It sounds like you had 3 items there which which were all too large to be considered as a 'personal item'.

This is no different to the rules at the USA end of the flights, just that the rules are a lot less strictly enforced (unless the GA knows the FAA are watching).

You get one carry-on and one personal item on pretty much all US based airlines, the trick is making sure the 2nd item is small enough to be counted as a 'personal item'.

Which airline was it?

Even Iberia allow a small briefcase as the personal item...

I've not found European airline personnel more stringent or difficult than US counterparts. European airlines are likely to have a weight limit for carry on bags and they will weigh them and mark them OK. I've had bags over a bit and not had a problem getting them checked without moving stuff around.

It sounds like you had 3 items there which which were all too large to be considered as a 'personal item'.

This is no different to the rules at the USA end of the flights, just that the rules are a lot less strictly enforced (unless the GA knows the FAA are watching).

You get one carry-on and one personal item on pretty much all US based airlines, the trick is making sure the 2nd item is small enough to be counted as a 'personal item'.

Which airline was it?

Even Iberia allow a small briefcase as the personal item...

He had a small soft sided briefcase to carry his laptop which is a thin and flat type of laptop, but he brings along a separate mouse and mouse pad. His camera backpack is also not all that large. He can put the briefcase and camera backpack on top of it in the overhead storage bin or put either under the seat in front of him and the other in the overhead storage bin - so it wasn't that these would take up extra storage in the cabin. The larger of his items was the camera backpack which is 18 inches by 12 inches by 8 inches. My carryon was the makeup bag - about 12 inches by 12 inches by 5 inches - it fits easily under the seat in front of me, even in economy. I've been traveling internationally for 5 decades now, so I knew to have a very small carryon. At any rate, it was my carryon that was checked. They didn't have any issue with the size of my husband's carryons, only that he had 2 and even though I had a very small handbag size carryon, they required me to check it in order to carry on his briefcase. It was Iberia, btw.