Bridge - the card game

zentraveler

I found only one thread on this and it was 10 years old. Can I expect to find bridge games on board the Quest on a 21 day sailing? If so, any experience or knowledge about how they are set up (e.g. drop in? need partner? experience levels? ..... )

I found only one thread on this and it was 10 years old. Can I expect to find bridge games on board the Quest on a 21 day sailing? If so, any experience or knowledge about how they are set up (e.g. drop in? need partner? experience levels? ..... )

On a recent 20-day Sojourn voyage, there were regular bridge lessons in the morning, and duplicate after that...

Lessons in the morning, ACBL rated duplicate in the afternoon, but only on sea days. Players ranged from near beginners to life masters. I thought the tone of the games was fairly serious...not a lot of laughter. There were one or two single players paired up by the Director, but most players were couples.

Glad to hear that there will be some games on board, although I was hoping for something a little looser (haven't played duplicate in years), and more like what was described in a 2006 post:

"Bridge is always a fun time on all ships... It is a game where folks play, who do not have the time nor desire to play at home. The director will work with all players to make it a fun game... With the smaller ships, games should run 4-8 tables & one develops relationships with all of the kindred players. However, if the games start at 2PM, you are committed to play the entire game.. The game should end around 4 PM."

But I will see what evolves and imagine whatever happens will be fun. I haven't played in a long time (but am brushing up!) and the at sea days seemed like a great time to enjoy playing again. Will hope there are other players on the Quest November Antartica sailing!

We play duplicate and will be on the November Quest to Antarctica. You will be OK as long as you play basic bridge. You may want to play a couple of duplicate games at your local club before the cruise.

Am happy knowing there will be some bridge at all. Spouse does not play but imagine I will not be the only solo player. See you on the cruise!

We did not play bridge on our 68 days on board the Sojourn, but 2 of our very good friends on board dedicated themselves to learning the game and they had a terrific time as newbies. And we met many of their fellow bridge players and they were a fun convivial group. They all seemed to worship the two folks on board who organized the games and taught. Very impressive. And yes, sea days were the active time.