Seaside dilemma, which would you choose?

houseofduck

We are a party of 5 and currently have an Aurea grand suite booked. The only one they will give our party of 5 is 13001.

According to the website, the specs for 13001 are:

Surface: 398.27 Square feet

Balcony Size 220.66 Square feet

We could also choose one of the Aurea suites with whirlpool. The specs for these suites are:

Surface: 296.01 Square feet

Balcony Size 75.35 Square feet

Our cruise will have 3 sea days. My concern is that the grand suite (13001) is a forward, center one. I'm afraid the balcony will not be usable. The whirlpool suites, while smaller, are on the side of the ship and the balcony would be usable.

Would you give up the space of the grand suite for a usable balcony in a whirlpool suite?

You say that you think the balcony won't be usable... I don't understand the reasoning behind that.

I think I would want more space with 5 people. You can use a hot tub somewhere on the ship.

13001 is a forward-facing, center suite. While I have never been in one of those suites, I have read that while at sea, the wind makes a forward-facing balcony unusable. We could care less about the whirlpool in the whirlpool suite. That's not really a draw for us.

13001 is a forward-facing, center suite. While I have never been in one of those suites, I have read that while at sea, the wind makes a forward-facing balcony unusable. We could care less about the whirlpool in the whirlpool suite. That's not really a draw for us.

Aaaahhhhh thanks for that information. I was actually looking at another thread and someone else mentioned the forward balconies are basically unusable. I've never been in a forward balcony, aft yes and it was great. Sorry can't really help on this one but I'm sure you'll get an answer. On the other hand your post enlightened me.

We once had a forward-facing YC cabin on Splendida - never again! We had no sea view on the balcony due to the ship's hull and the wind rattling the balcony door at night made it almost impossible to sleep. We had bad weather on that particular cruise, though.

We once had a forward-facing YC cabin on Splendida - never again! We had no sea view on the balcony due to the ship's hull and the wind rattling the balcony door at night made it almost impossible to sleep. We had bad weather on that particular cruise, though.

That's what worries me, especially since it is a center suite. Ours would be a Caribbean cruise. Maybe, it wouldn't be that bad???

That's what worries me, especially since it is a center suite. Ours would be a Caribbean cruise. Maybe, it wouldn't be that bad???

I would find it hard to imagine that MSC would not have wind screen glass across the entire front of the ship like Fantasia Class ships have, the balcony would most definitely be unusable while at sea without it.