Fire on board Black Watch

comcox

There was an engine room fire on board the Black Watch yesterday and the ship is currently limping into Funchal, Madeira--due in at 17.00 hours today (Saturday). FO has chartered a plane to take all the passengers back to the U.K. According to FO's website they "hope" the 8th July cruise will still go as planned. Updates are appearing on FO' website and on their Facebook page.

I see on the Facebook page that someone is asking what happens with passengers who cannot fly for medical reasons. It would be interesting to find out what they do in these circumstances.

There was an engine room fire on board the Black Watch yesterday and the ship is currently limping into Funchal, Madeira--due in at 17.00 hours today (Saturday). FO has chartered a plane to take all the passengers back to the U.K. According to FO's website they "hope" the 8th July cruise will still go as planned. Updates are appearing on FO' website and on their Facebook page.

It was good that there were no casualties on board. I am certain that Fred. Olsen will look after the repatriation of passengers with skill and efficiency. Perhaps those who are unable or unwilling to fly can hit ch a lift one of the many other cruise ships calling at Madeira!

Posted on FO's website last night:

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines can confirm that Black Watch arrived in Funchal at ca. 4.30pm yesterday afternoon [saturday 2nd July 2016].

Captain Henrik Mattsson has been keeping guests fully informed with regular updates and Mike Rodwell, Managing Director of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, joined the ship yesterday afternoon [saturday 2nd July 2016], with a support team of senior executives. Mr. Rodwell has circulated a letter to guests’ cabins on board the ship this afternoon [sunday 3rd July 2016], and has fully briefed guests on board, advising them of the latest situation.

In spite of the challenges of securing aircraft from Funchal, Madeira at late notice, Fred. Olsen has organised three private charter flights back to London Stansted and London Gatwick airports, which will depart on Monday 4th July 2016.

Special arrangements have been made for those guests, who are unable to fly for medical reasons.

Fred. Olsen will be assisting with arrangements for the transfer of guests to their onward destinations, as necessary.

Fred. Olsen appreciates guests’ understanding and co-operation with these new arrangements. In recognition of the inconvenience caused, Fred. Olsen will arrange compensation as follows:

- 100% refund of the whole of the cruise fare, to arrive with guests shortly after their return home. Fred. Olsen will also be refunding guests any reasonable out of pocket expenses connected with the curtailment of their holidays

- In addition, Fred. Olsen will also offer guests a future cruise voucher of up to 50% of the fare paid for this cruise, to be used within Fred. Olsen’s current cruise programme

An advice desk for guests has been set up in the Guest Services area of the ship for guests to be able to request further information, and we have made the cabin telephones available free of charge to guests to enable them to contact relatives.

On their Facebook page, some peole think it's a good response, one tho is having a right moan about their offer and help.

I am surprised at this as my thought on reading the compensation being given was that no one could possibly complain about that. More than fair I thought.

I am surprised at this as my thought on reading the compensation being given was that no one could possibly complain about that. More than fair I thought.

I think a few peoples' concerns were for those passengers with health issues, especially those that cannot fly, and that this situation presented a fairly serious issue.

Also I have read there have been other issues with the ship such as power failures recently as well, so there are concerns about the overall "fitness" of the ship and whether it should be still sailing.

And for a few of us it's worry about what will be happening in the next week or so as the Black Watch is due to sail again on July 8th and July 17th. I'm booked on the latter cruise which will take us to the North Atlantic/Arctic Circle region far from land at times.

I think a few peoples' concerns were for those passengers with health issues, especially those that cannot fly, and that this situation presented a fairly serious issue.

Also I have read there have been other issues with the ship such as power failures recently as well, so there are concerns about the overall "fitness" of the ship and whether it should be still sailing.

And for a few of us it's worry about what will be happening in the next week or so as the Black Watch is due to sail again on July 8th and July 17th. I'm booked on the latter cruise which will take us to the North Atlantic/Arctic Circle region far from land at times.

Yes, I can see why you are concerned and one does have to wonder if this ship is now too old to be viable.

The compensation being offered is the same as was offered when Boudicca had a fire last year, so no real surprise there.

More concerning is the fact that Boudicca and Black Watch are sister ships of similar age, both have had engine fires in the last twelve months,food for thought me thinks!

The ship is still alongside in Funchal. Fortunately its quiet season for cruise ships in Madeira, so it shouldn't be in the way!

I know its a loved ship, but it is showing its age. Maybe its time to tow it out to sea about a mile and scuttle it. The sea is thousands of feet deep and every ship deserves a good send off.

From everything I've read, FO has been very fair with the compensation offer and have dealt with the situation properly.

Let's hope all the passengers get home safely and as promptly as possible.

We've been on Black Watch on 2 occasions (both long cruises) and have some lovely memories of those trips..

I hope she can continue in service, but I wonder whether that might not be an option.

wft