Seabourn Odyssey spring 2018 transatlantic

suewheldon

The last time I was on Seabourn was on the Legend in the Caribbean. We are thinking of booking the transatlantic on Odyssey. A few questions I have a) I haven't done the crossing on a small ship, how does Odyssey fair? b) as we don't have a huge budget, what is the lowest category of cabin that would be comfortable? c) is it value for money? Already there doesn't seem to be many cabins left so I have to make a decision. Many thanks :cool:

Our experience on the "O" class ships is that the ship rides beautifully. Spring crossings are normally pretty calm anyway. We prefer a V1 or higher suite so we can sit on the balcony, read and watch the ocean sail by. But if that's not important to you, an A1 is fine, and often less expensive. We get a guarantee booking and have never been sorry. We are usually assigned just what we paid for, but sometimes we get an upgrade, not that there's much difference between V1 and V6. We feel that the crossings are among the lowest per diem cost and the cruise is much more laid back and relaxing and it's easier to meet other pax. But if you like the port visits, then avoid a crossing.

The ocean can vary from trip to trip (or day to day!), so it is hard to make generalizations. Our first experience was an east-bound transatlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam (80,00 tons), which was like a lake. Last December we did a west-bound TA on the Odyssey. We cannot say if it was the smaller 30,00 ton ship, a rougher ocean, the fact were "upgraded" to a deck 8 forward V4, 807, or our own physical state, but we felt the ocean much more. We wore seabands most of the time, but did not get much relief. Oh, by the way, we race sail boats at home. One would think we could have handled this situation better. Starboard bound to North America meant no sun and when we opened the curtains, we wanted to close them quickly. The waves and lack of sun was too much. We survived and had a great time!:cool:

All that being said, we are booked on the April 2018 Odyssey transatlantic. We have booked an oceanview mid-ships, and plan to try some meds.

We are booked on the Quest in an A1 to Antartica Nov-Dec, so we can tell you how our Drake passage was when we meet on the TA. :)

We agree with Shellback that transatlantic cruises are among the least expensive per diem, and we think are great value. The interior space in the oceanview and veranda suites is the same, and we think they should be equally comfortable. The veranda would be nice, but we are willing to forgo it to be able to have a mid- ship location on a low deck. There is plenty of space to sit on deck, close to the next drink, and look at the ocean.

We also were on the Legend in the Caribbean. We have sailed on the Odyssey twice, and think the Seabourn "feel" is the same as on the Legend, with more public space.

Peter & Ann

We were in 519 for Canada New England after previously being mid ship deck 6 and were not disappointed with the cabin. The window is huge and sitting watching the water go by was extremely relaxing. Although my next is deck 7, I would not hesitate to get a cabin around 519 again.

Having just done Quest's TA this past April, I can tell you that you will have a superb time. The O ships are a good size for crossing. Ours was nearly glass smooth the whole way. Captain apologized one day for a bit of a roll, but to me it was barely noticeable.

As one fellow put it on our trip: There are "crossers" and there are "porters" when it comes to cruises. We've decided we are definitely "crossers", and will do it again sometime.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the reminder Sue. We have been intending to start a roll call for this cruise, and will do so tomorrow, unless you start one before then.

Starting a roll call is not difficult. Go to the Seabourn Odyssey page, and post a new thread, with the date in the title.

We are on the 18 day crossing starting April 7, and will probably try to combine a roll call for both the 7 day Caribbean portion and the 11 day crossing. Hopefully, that does not create confusion.

Peter & Ann