Cruising with iPhone

TiogaCruiser

I have a cruise (around the horn) booked in Spring, which includes several precruise touring days. Just stopped by AT&T to check on roaming package options and have the following questions for those who have done this with an iPhone.

1: With a cellular package that includes voice calls, I understand that a person in the US only calls your normal number (no additional country codes). But what if a vendor based in Argentina needs to call you? or you need to call them? in both circumstances, do you add the "target" phone's country? (What settings should be used on iPhone?)

2: For those who have placed Wifi (VOIP) calls from the ship (using ships wifi only), how successful was the call? (due to limited reception or bandwidth)

3: Is there cell service around Iguazu?

I am finding the cellular package (which i would use only on land- to avoid the ship's cell tower and $$$$$$$$$) is running anywhere from $40 to $50 depending on the per minute voice copayment chosen, and unlimited text.

Thanks!

~TC

We have cruised around South America with T-Mobile and Simple Choice. Free data and text and .20 per minute voice.

The easiest way to call a local number while in a foreign country is to add it to Contacts on your iPhone. Use the + sign before the country code. To call, just choose the contact and let your phone figure it out. We have had great success with this- as opposed to trying to call a foreign number using the + sign and country code. I know it should work either way but we have trouble dialing and good success from Contacts. The wonder of travel we always say.

As to your other questions- wifi was pretty good on the Zaandam but not strong enough for voice calls. In ports was fine.

Have a wonderful trip- have done it twice and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have cruised around South America with T-Mobile and Simple Choice. Free data and text and .20 per minute voice.

The easiest way to call a local number while in a foreign country is to add it to Contacts on your iPhone. Use the + sign before the country code. To call, just choose the contact and let your phone figure it out. We have had great success with this- as opposed to trying to call a foreign number using the + sign and country code. I know it should work either way but we have trouble dialing and good success from Contacts. The wonder of travel we always say.

As to your other questions- wifi was pretty good on the Zaandam but not strong enough for voice calls. In ports was fine.

Have a wonderful trip- have done it twice and loved it.

Thank you. Zaandam is the ship I'm on. You are confirming our concern that wifi calling (VOIP) is too "packet heavy".

So if I put -for example- the hotel phone number in contacts, my iPhone handles it as far as country code goes? And a local vendor does the same, or adds the US code?

Yes- that has worked for us in many countries. We tried just dialing the correct number with the + and country code but does not work all the time. Easier to add as contact with + and country code.

As for people calling you- just give them your number and that it is a US number. We have found people in the hospitality industry know how to call us with that info.

Good luck. We love keeping in touch even though we know not everyone feels that way. We have used our iPhones exclusively with wifi on ships In recent years and it works very well. Just not for voice calls via wifi while onboard.