Encore

Frank5

I received a Seabourn brochure that included the stats for the Encore. According to this brochure, the cruising speed is only 15 knots versus 19 knots for the three three Odyssey class ships. Does anyone know if this correct? If it is correct, it gives me the impression that they added the additional deck and increased the gross tonnage from 32,000 to 40,350 without increasing the power of the engines used in the Odyssey class. 15 knots strikes me as a little too slow.

I don't know about the 15 vs 19 knot figure and I hope that someone who is closer to the action will respond. A google of seabourn service speed shows Quest at 19 service 25.5 max from wiki.

About what the Encore is and is not, it is a new design and not an Odyssey class ship with another deck bolted on. It is a longer and wider ship and significantly heavier. While its layout is similar to the Odyssey class ships (bear in mind that the Odyssey class ships have a layout similar to the small sisters), there are many differences. No, the engineering for a new class of ship represented by Encore and Ovation will surely be different and so I would expect them to deliver the speed standards now in operation.

Let's see what follows.

Happy sailing!

If the 15 knot info is correct that would preclude the ship from sailing in pirate-prone areas. While on our recent Sojourn cruise of the Middle East we were told that the number one tactic employed to prevent pirate attacks is to maintain a cruising speed of 18 knots.