Advice please on Transatlantic b2b

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi all, At 85 years young my mother loves Cunard, but due to her having COPD, she is not very mobile, therefore cannot really enjoy port intensive cruises. I am thinking of booking a b2b in 2017 which will enable her to enjoy the ship experience without the need to worry about port stops. I am very flexible about dates but have seen there are two of these b2b sailings in May. Just wondered if anyone had advice on the best time to book b2b cruises to get a reasonable deal, for example is it advisable to book early or should I wait until nearer the time? Thanks!

Hi all, At 85 years young my mother loves Cunard, but due to her having COPD, she is not very mobile, therefore cannot really enjoy port intensive cruises. I am thinking of booking a b2b in 2017 which will enable her to enjoy the ship experience without the need to worry about port stops. I am very flexible about dates but have seen there are two of these b2b sailings in May. Just wondered if anyone had advice on the best time to book b2b cruises to get a reasonable deal, for example is it advisable to book early or should I wait until nearer the time? Thanks!

Whenever you book I hope you and your mother have a wonderful time x

I bought my back to back cruises a month out as guarantees and got what I think were very fair prices.

We did need to change cabins, but that is nothing to worry about. They move everything for you.

Typically it is less expensive to book this as two segments rather than one cruise.

Room what I could see watching fares, the least expensive categories tend to stay available for booking and the grills sell out.

I was recovering from a broken hip, which is why I did the back to back. It's a great idea for your mother!

As mentioned.....we have been able to get good fares by booking in segments...but in the same cabin. I would highly recommend to stress that you want a cabin that is available for both segments. It is still an inconvenience to change cabins even though they help you. First......they are excessively busy on turnaround day and it makes more work. You still have to be out of your cabin by 8:30 and your new cabin has to be cleaned before your things can be moved. Sometimes it's easy...sometimes it's a hassle.

We have crossed many times in April-May, and really enjoyed it. Have a wonderful trip.

Hi SaladMuncher. Great liberator, taking a cruise where you don't desire a port intensive cruise. Any round trip cruise/voyage will do - just stay on board and enjoy the ship. Pick a cruise that fits your schedule and price. The more flexible you are the longer you can wait to book for the best deal.

Best wishes,

Salacia

P.S. Not doubt your mom has told you that you are a very thoughtful person because you are :)

Iif you "insist" on the same cabin you may not be getting a good value, or the best locatons, as it is unlikely the price and booking levels are identical for both sailings.

We were able to book a P2 guarantee for a reasonable price, one way.

In any event, check out your options and do what is best for you.

With eight days each way and no ports packing up was not a deal breaker for me. Had this been say a Mediterranean cruise with long hot port days, I can see the exhaustion factor playing in..

as always Your mileage may vary.

I’ve done BtoB's serveral times on QE2 and QM2; they are a wonderful way to get away. The advice about separate segments is wise; I have found that the rates are better-particularly in the late fall and winter seasons. I also have a great TA who has often gotten me a reduced fare when prices have dropped before I make final payment-and once or twice before!:D

We (happily) book inside cabins, which are the most economical choice of accommodations --any time of the year :) Some of the inside cabins are larger and wheelchair accessible---if this is helpful information for your planning.

Have a wonderful time with your mother! I agree: she is fortunate to have such a thoughtful daughter!

Jimmybean

We have crossed many times in April-May, and really enjoyed it. Have a wonderful trip.

We're booked for our 1st TA in April on Celebrity. In your experience how are the seas at that time? I know that the QM2 travels mostly between England & NYC. We will be starting in Miami then Bermuda to Lisbon before going north to England. This will take us on a slightly more southern crossing. Not sure if that will make much of a difference.

It makes a lot of difference on your Celebrity ship, try doing the same route (on your Celeb) that the QM2 does, and you'll be tossed around and sure to experience a lot of movement.

I'm afraid there's only one way to cross the North Atlantic. ;)

I know you said you were thinking about doing the BTB Transatlantic next year, however on the Cunard website, they are offering an inside room for £839 and a balcony £999 for the BTB Transatlantic 14 days on 5th November 2016.

Many thanks for this info, however, I am away with my hb in Ecuador/Galapagos 26 Oct to 13th Nov so this trip is not possible for me! Also my mother prefers to travel in the late spring so the weather is a little better. Cheers!

It makes a lot of difference on your Celebrity ship, try doing the same route (on your Celeb) that the QM2 does, and you'll be tossed around and sure to experience a lot of movement.

I'm afraid there's only one way to cross the North Atlantic. ;)

Thanks....... Judging by your screen name of Bell Boy, can I assume you are a fellow fan of The Who?

We're booked for our 1st TA in April on Celebrity. In your experience how are the seas at that time? I know that the QM2 travels mostly between England & NYC. We will be starting in Miami then Bermuda to Lisbon before going north to England. This will take us on a slightly more southern crossing. Not sure if that will make much of a difference.

We've sailed the Southern route on RCL twice. Me personally, I think it makes a big difference. I feel safer going the Southern route while on a "cruise ship". Both trips were in April and except for rainy days, the weather was fine with no rough seas whatsoever. We sailed from Miami with stops in the Caribbean and the Azores. Loved it. Have a wonderful crossing.