Oceano Genoa to Venice with walking problems

silversurf

We are looking at this cruise as my friend would like to see Venice and she has a BIG birthday during this time.

We both use a walking stick and are very slow.

Which P and O excursions in each port would be best for us?

We are only in Venice for the afternoon and overnight. How would we easily get from the ship to St Marks Square if we wanted to go on our own? Where does she dock?

We were recently on this cruise and it was lovely. We were due in Venice approx 12.30pm and were told to be in place for the sail in by 11am as there would be a commentary all the way in. We made sure we had a good viewing spot early as there is lots to see on both sides of the ship but the best side is Starboard when getting near, as you sail past St Marks Sq. It was a beautifully clear day and the commentary was so interesting. Various islands were pointed out and we saw the new sea defences being put in place. Then you sail past St Marks and into the Guidecca canal - fantastic. You can see right over Venice. We left the ship and there was a shuttle bus to take us to the people mover and then onto the Grand Canal where we took a vaporetto to St Marks Square. However, it you have difficulty in walking I don't think I'd recommend this as there were quite a few steps and a fair bit of walking.

When you get off the ship you can walk towards the port exit, on your right there is a kiosk selling tickets for a boat to take you from the dock straight to St Marks Square. This was cheaper than the cruise ship tickets which were probably for the same boat. Enjoy your trip:)

Hi, we were on this cruise in April and though we can not suggest excursions we did notice that there were many people who were struggling re walking who were going on a variety of excursions. P&O do seem to do a good selection of excursions for people with limited mobility and this will be listed on the excursions site.

Have to admit, one of my favourite memories was watching a very, very elderly couple in Kotor returning to the ship using walking frames, having a laugh and a joke after what must have been a good day out. It was quite touching and I remember thinking just what a fabulous experience that cruise was for people of all ages and abilities

Am not saying that you are very, very old :-) but am sure that you will find something that suits you.

If you do find an excursion you fancy please post - we can tell you what not to do as we did P&O excursions in each port.

Re Venice - just use the ship's shuttle as it isn't too far to walk once you get to St Mark's Square

Hope that this rambling makes sense :-)