Formal Attire

vrogers

We are planning a cruise on a Brittania in August 2016 and would like to know how formal is formal attire. Could my DH get away with shirt and trousers or would a suit be required in dining room. Why I ask is that we will have limited luggage availability as we will be travelling independently prior to boarding Brittania. Would dining in the speciality restaurants be an option for us on formal nights? Any advice would be grateful....cheers V

If you want to dine in the MDR for your evening meal on formal nights it will have to be a dinner jacket/black tie or dark suit and tie. You might get away with a lighter coloured suit but a tie must be worn and the same standard of attire is applicable for all speciality restaurants the only place where casual attire would be applicable is the buffet restaurant.

Edited by majortom10

On smart-casual nights my husband wears chino type trousers/dark jeans with shoes (not trainers) and an open necked shirt with a collar. Formal nights as answered by Major Tom. The buffet tends to be slightly more casual and formal attire is not necessary. Hope this helps.

Oh and the Limelight Club is smart casual even on formal nights but there is a cover charge of 22pp (worth it though imo) - that may be the answer to your problem.

Edited by Florry

Only 2 modes of dress for evenings now. Evening Casual or Black Tie (Formal).

Smart Casual is no more.

I call it smart casual but it is officially evening casual [emoji1] it's semi-formal they are phasing out, so that doesn't exist on Britannia but does exist (for now) on Arcadia and possibly other ships.

Edited by Florry

I call it smart casual but it is officially evening casual [emoji1] it's semi-formal they are phasing out, so that doesn't exist on Britannia but does exist (for now) on Arcadia and possibly other ships.

That was the whole point of my reply, the question was about Brittania, not the smaller vessels. And it is smart casual that is being removed. See link

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

Edited by mkh999
link added

That was the whole point of my reply, the question was about Brittania, not the smaller vessels. And it is smart casual that is being removed. See link

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

I think we are saying the same thing, 'smart jacket required' used to be called semi-formal at one point. The reason I mentioned the other ships was to be helpful for anyone reading the thread that may be interested. I am on Arcadia soon and was under the impression Semi-formal was discontinued but I was surprised to find that there is one semi-formal on that cruise.

I think we are saying the same thing, 'smart jacket required' used to be called semi-formal at one point. The reason I mentioned the other ships was to be helpful for anyone reading the thread that may be interested. I am on Arcadia soon and was under the impression Semi-formal was discontinued but I was surprised to find that there is one semi-formal on that cruise.

We were initially told there was one jacket required on our next cruise on Oceana but I checked my CP yesterday and it was no more. :D. Now we've only got 7 formals and 28 Evening casuals!!

We were initially told there was one jacket required on our next cruise on Oceana but I checked my CP yesterday and it was no more. :D. Now we've only got 7 formals and 28 Evening casuals!!

I checked and it's still there, I think my husband will wear his dress suit twice as it's not a particularly fancy one :) 35 nights sounds fabulous! Have an amazing time!

From next year across the P & O fleet there will only be two dress codes casual and formal dress. This is already on the bigger ships but as I said this is changing.

Kerry

Yes wish they would hurry up!

Just returned from 14 days on Azura, dress rules appeared non existent. I was amazed at the number of men who wore "beach" shorts, t shirts & flip flops even on formal nights. Times they are a changing !!!!

I just struggle to understand why people go on a cruise and don't want to get dressed up !!! That's the whole point of cruising !!!

Just returned from 14 days on Azura, dress rules appeared non existent. I was amazed at the number of men who wore "beach" shorts, t shirts & flip flops even on formal nights. Times they are a changing !!!!

Yes there were passengers in beach shorts etc. On formal nights but they weren't in dining rooms or any of the venues we were in. As an aside, I was concerned about cruising on Azura but we had a good time. The entertainment was good & the MDR food was v good. One area that was a bit disappointing was the daytime activities, with the exception of 1 shuffleboard, 1 quoits & afternoon cricket it was all 'social' e.g sort it out yourselves. I gues this is due to the relatively small nets team aboard Azura.

BTW. Check in went fine. We parked the car ( had to wait & pay for 2 hours parking because of a delay in 'debarking' ( don't get me started!) previous passengers but had a quick walk into town, then moved the car to CPS went into the terminal (Mayflower) were given a code letter ( which was then replaced with a different one) got on board by about 12:30 had lunch & cabins were ready by just before 2:00.

Red Arrows entertained us before sail away

Edited by Ranchi

Yes there were passengers in beach shorts etc. On formal nights but they weren't in dining rooms or any of the venues we were in. As an aside, I was concerned about cruising on Azura but we had a good time. The entertainment was good & the MDR food was v good. One area that was a bit disappointing was the daytime activities, with the exception of 1 shuffleboard, 1 quoits & afternoon cricket it was all 'social' e.g sort it out yourselves. I gues this is due to the relatively small nets team aboard Azura.

BTW. Check in went fine. We parked the car ( had to wait & pay for 2 hours parking because of a delay in 'debarking' ( don't get me started!) previous passengers but had a quick walk into town, then moved the car to CPS went into the terminal (Mayflower) were given a code letter ( which was then replaced with a different one) got on board by about 12:30 had lunch & cabins were ready by just before 2:00.

Red Arrows entertained us before sail away

I've noticed the daytime activities are mostly money spinners these days, not really entertainment. They try to entice people with a glass of champagne but you have to sit for an hour listening to drivel to get it lol then when you get the glass it's only half full. Not what you want to be doing on holiday!