just back from May 24 Summit

catspaw1

Hi all,

We just returned from the Summit yesterday and had a great trip. We thought Celebrity was very good and we signed up for another cruise to get the discounts.

We upgraded to the premium beverage package and felt it was worth it for us. We waited till the second day based on advice here on this forum but wish we had done it on day 1. We loved the Martini bar.

Since I learned a lot from this forum, I am happy to answer any questions.

Glad you had a great time! I am leaving this sunday. what dining plan did you take? we have the anytime and was wondering if it really works with minimal waits? How was the food overall ? Did it feel crowded? I was on summit 10 years ago to Alaska and loved it.

Edited by dugxfresh

How was check in ? I was planning on arriving around noon or so.

It was a breeze!

I think we may have gotten there a bit before noon?

We were in Concierge class and literally did not wait in a line. There wasn't one. I don't think there was much of a line for the "everyone else" passengers, either.

Glad you had a great time! I am leaving this sunday. what dining plan did you take? we have the anytime and was wondering if it really works with minimal waits? How was the food overall ? Did it feel crowded? I was on summit 10 years ago to Alaska and loved it.

The food was very good overall. There was a few misses but in feeding so many people I can understand it. It only happened a few times. The veal had a lot of fat on it. We each had the beef wellington & lobster tail & both were very good. The short ribs were to die for!

We had select dining also & made reservations before the cruise for 6:30pm. We never waited more than 5 minutes any night. Had we known the show was going to be at 9pm, I would have made the reservation for 7pm. We liked select dining but it does get tiring meeting new people at dinner every night asking the same questions- what do you do? where are your from? Have you sailed on Celebrity before? On all other cruises we have been on, we had fixed dining so liked seeing the same people & having the same waiter every night. However, 6pm was too early & 8:30pm too late for us so we would choose select dining again & make reservations for 7pm before the cruise. On the last night we just ate at a table for 2. Be aware that most of the tables for 2 are very close together so it's not intimate.

The ship was booked & I felt the crowds at the pool area looking for a lounge chair- especially in the shade. The chair hogs put their stuff on chairs early in the am & leave it their the whole day even though they rarely come to sit on it. I wish Celebrity would address this.

The good shows get crowded so we started arriving about 15 minutes before the show to get a good seat.

We had a great trip & are planning on going on another cruise next year.

How was check in ? I was planning on arriving around noon or so.

We drove to the port & arrived at 10am. We were on board the ship at 10:40am & there was just a very short line. Disembarkation & CBP clearance was fast also.

We drove to the port & arrived at 10am. We were on board the ship at 10:40am & there was just a very short line. Disembarkation & CBP clearance was fast also.

just to clarify- we were "normal" passengers with no priority for check in.

We are sailing on Summit on Sunday, June 7. What was the cost per day to upgrade to Premium Beverage Package? Do you know if tax is charged if the upgrade is done before sailing?

It was $10 PP Per day plus 18% gratuity= 11.80. For us it was definitely worth it as we had all the premium alcohol and had no hangovers despite a lot of drinks. I know the price is increasing for the next year cruises. We used our OBC so if you upgraded ahead of time you would have to pay for it. It's easy to upgrade at any bar or beverage place & they have all the premium restaurants & bar upgrades as you walk on the ship. I would wait till you get on board. We loved the specialty martinis especially the chocolate ones.

if I had a complaint, it would be how aggressively the upgrades were pushed on Day 1. You won't have a problem figuring out how to do it! We didn't upgrade, as everything we wanted was covered, with the exception of the zero-cal Vitamin Water lemonade I wanted to try just for a change from Sprite Zero and Coke Zero. Not that important.

if I had a complaint, it would be how aggressively the upgrades were pushed on Day 1. You won't have a problem figuring out how to do it! We didn't upgrade, as everything we wanted was covered, with the exception of the zero-cal Vitamin Water lemonade I wanted to try just for a change from Sprite Zero and Coke Zero. Not that important.

I agree about the aggressive push.

Plus they did not explain what is on the classic package & I hated asking the bartender every time I ordered the drink if it was on the classic package. We did enjoy the Martini bar & San Pellgrino water so it was worth it for us as we had OBC. We liked the premium beer too. They definitely lost money with us! We upgraded the second day of the cruise. Next time we will do it on entering the ship using OBC.

I have the premium beverage package and am more of a beer drinker. Does the package include the pub ? Can you have the beers in the pub ? not sure if all the bars drinks are included -- thanks

Not sure what "pub" you are talking about. You can get the beers at all the pool bars & the buffet. We never went to the wine bar as those wines weren't included in the premium package.

The premium beers were stella artois, blue moon, sam adams, dos equis. We never had a problem getting a beer but we usually only drank these at lunch & then switched to mixed drinks when by the pool.

I brought a collapsible cooler bag with me to bring to the beach & use in the room so we just had the steward bring us ice. I always liked beer & san pellegrino for the room.

Liked the lobster tail and the cream brûlée was outstanding. Short ribs were good.loved the stuffed chicken.

Some of the food in the MDR was very good, but overall thought it had been better in the past. Didn't think the beef wellington was very good or maybe it was because we weren't served until 10:10 PM that evening.

There was really no excuse for us getting our entrees so late.

Not sure what "pub" you are talking about. You can get the beers at all the pool bars & the buffet. We never went to the wine bar as those wines weren't included in the premium package.

The premium beers were stella artois, blue moon, sam adams, dos equis. We never had a problem getting a beer but we usually only drank these at lunch & then switched to mixed drinks when by the pool.

I brought a collapsible cooler bag with me to bring to the beach & use in the room so we just had the steward bring us ice. I always liked beer & san pellegrino for the room.

only the wines in the machine weren't included. There were lots of wines by the glass and premium beers that were included in the premium package.

Hi all,

Since I learned a lot from this forum, I am happy to answer any questions.

Hi catspaw1... I saw from the 11th May daily information sheet that the first formal night's dress code extended into the theatre. Do you remember if the same applied on the 24th May sailing? Also, was the iHollywood show in the theatre on the second night of the cruise?

I'm sailing on Summit 9th August, and would like to take my mentally disabled brother to iHollywood. He's actually kind of a savant for movies, but getting him dressed up can be a stressful thing.

thx... --bruce T.

Glad you had a great trip.

My DH and I are going to Bermuda in August. I was just reading other reviews from the Summit that weren't that great and I was getting disappointed. Is the ship really worn down? The last celebrity cruise we went on was the Eclipse and it was incredible. We were hoping for the same on the summit.

We are planning on seeing the comedian, Imagic (normally don't care for, but people said it was a really good show, so willing to try)----

What songs were done at I Hollywood- movies, show tribute, etc.? What did you think of it? We will be on June 21 sailing..

Hi catspaw1... I saw from the 11th May daily information sheet that the first formal night's dress code extended into the theatre. Do you remember if the same applied on the 24th May sailing? Also, was the iHollywood show in the theatre on the second night of the cruise?

I'm sailing on Summit 9th August, and would like to take my mentally disabled brother to iHollywood. He's actually kind of a savant for movies, but getting him dressed up can be a stressful thing.

thx... --bruce T.

not sure what he ihollywood show is. Having a handicapped dad who just passed away recently, I always look at handicapped accommodations & it definitely was good. There was a number of people in wheelchairs. My brother has a disability also so I sympathize with you & admire your bringing him on the trip. You both deserve it & hope you have a great time.

We always continued our dressup at the shows but a number of people who did not. One of the things i didn't like was how sloppy some people dressed up for the MDR on formal night. I think if you don't dress up given the circumstances no one who say anything & I certainly understand your situtation. Just do it! No One will say anything but perhaps just alert the cruise line in advance.

My brother has a disability also so I sympathize with you & admire your bringing him on the trip. You both deserve it & hope you have a great time.

Thx! I always tell people he's a pain in the *ss, but he's MY pain in the *ss... and they can't have him!! :D

He's become quite the accomplished traveller with me since our parents passed away in 2010 (2 days apart). Lots of quality time traveling with and/or visiting our aunts (all of them on this cruise with us).

Celebrity already knows about him - the special needs desk was exceptional with their response. I may bring him to the show, but sit in the back of the theatre. I'll just need to keep him from announcing the name of the movie and stars for each song. :)

Thx agn... --bruce T.

Thx! I always tell people he's a pain in the *ss, but he's MY pain in the *ss... and they can't have him!! :D

He's become quite the accomplished traveller with me since our parents passed away in 2010 (2 days apart). Lots of quality time traveling with and/or visiting our aunts (all of them on this cruise with us).

Celebrity already knows about him - the special needs desk was exceptional with their response. I may bring him to the show, but sit in the back of the theatre. I'll just need to keep him from announcing the name of the movie and stars for each song. :)

Thx agn... --bruce T.

have a great trip & enjoy! Sounds like he is lucky to have a big brother like you- kudos to you!

Glad you had a great trip.

My DH and I are going to Bermuda in August. I was just reading other reviews from the Summit that weren't that great and I was getting disappointed. Is the ship really worn down? The last celebrity cruise we went on was the Eclipse and it was incredible. We were hoping for the same on the summit.

Forget the negative reviews. We have sailed the Summit 4 times (last time in Feb)and have 2 more booked, one in Oct and right before dry dock in Feb. You will love it. The Summit usually rates first in customer satisfaction on the fleet's surveys. The crew is outstanding, the food is great and the atmosphere wonderful. The ship is very clean and well maintained. Dry dock assures the ship is maintained in top condition before there are problems. I am sure if you look hard you may find a frayed carpet or slightly worn upholstery somewhere but I never spend my time seeking these out. You will love Captain Leo (be sure to go to the Liars Club night.) So far the Summit is our favorite X ship. We are hoping to sail to Bermuda next year for our 35th anniversary. Just know the M class ships have a cozier feel than the S class ships. However, the thalassotherapy pool more than makes up for it.

Edited by Champagne Cruiser
Typos