just back from May 24 Summit

catspaw1

Forget the negative reviews. We have sailed the Summit 4 times (last time You will love Captain Leo (be sure to go to the Liars Club night.)

Captain Leo is not on Summit. The current Master is Anastasios Lekkas. Not sure when schedules change.

We were on the Summit 5/24 sailing as well. We had a nice time and felt all was okay. Yep. Okay.

Normandy was excellent the second night we went. Still feel price is too high though.

In reference to the beverage package, I had premium and my husband had classic. I would not do premium again as I do not have specific liquors I really prefer. If I did, I would do premium. Oh and the Rum Swizzles were all delicious but once. Varies by bartender. They were also included in classic package. Lots of mixed drinks were. I am more of a wine drinker and it was difficult to find a rose other than White Zinfandel at the bars so no premium wine when I was out and about.

Back to Princess for next two sailings. Sure wish they had a beverage package deal...

We were on the Summit 5/24 sailing as well. We had a nice time and felt all was okay. Yep. Okay.

Normandy was excellent the second night we went. Still feel price is too high though.

In reference to the beverage package, I had premium and my husband had classic. I would not do premium again as I do not have specific liquors I really prefer. If I did, I would do premium. Oh and the Rum Swizzles were all delicious but once. Varies by bartender. They were also included in classic package. Lots of mixed drinks were. I am more of a wine drinker and it was difficult to find a rose other than White Zinfandel at the bars so no premium wine when I was out and about.

Back to Princess for next two sailings. Sure wish they had a beverage package deal...

I would definitely do the premium package again. We loved the Martini bar & went before dinner & after the show nightly. I loved the chocolate martini's. I am not a martini drinker at all but still loved the martini's. I also loved the San Pelligrino club soda & drank several bottles daily. I would never buy it at home due to the cost. We also liked the specialty coffees at Cafe al Bacio. We would never consider cruising again without a beverage package (we got it included when I booked) & if you have OBC it's worth the upgrade. We drank 4 martini's daily that more then made up for the price increase. We really felt we got our money's worth. We also liked with the premium booze we had no hangovers- not so with cheap liquor. BTW I would never drink grey goose at home due to costs- I usually drink Absolut.

• 3 weeks later...
Captain Leo is not on Summit. The current Master is Anastasios Lekkas. Not sure when schedules change.

The schedule must have changed. Captain Leo was on our cruise and the cruise before us and I believe the rest of the Bermuda cruises and then NE/Canada cruises.

We were on this cruise 6?14-6?21. No...we didn't' think the Summit" is "worn". We had the basic beverage package and we were never told, "no...that's not included" other then any and everything in the "wine bar". We did "anytime" dining and once we had a 5 minute wait. Other then that we were seated immediately. We love cruising to Bermuda and in the past 35 or so years, this is our 20-ith or so cruise to the island. The only thing that would have made our trip more enjoyable would have been if the "Breakaway" did not arrive/depart in tandem with the "Summit". There's like a gazillion people on the "Breakaway". Dining was wonderful. So much so that we saw no need to dine in any of the sur charge restaurants. We had a "regular" cabin and were not aqua or concierge class. However, at check-in, the person directing you to which line to queue in said "go there". There was a concierge class only sign, but staff took care of us and we were on the ship in 5 minutes. The new terminal in Bayonne is a gazillion per cent better then the old. No tents, no long lines, no waiting, no shuttle bus for the 200 ft ride to the ship that you wait 20 minutes for a 90 second ride. And upon return SOOOOO much better!!!!!!

Edited by marco

The schedule must have changed. Captain Leo was on our cruise and the cruise before us and I believe the rest of the Bermuda cruises and then NE/Canada cruises.

Yes, they did change right after our cruise. Too bad. I love Capt. Leo. Maybe I will see him in September.

We were on this cruise 6?14-6?21. No...we didn't' think the Summit" is "worn". We had the basic beverage package and we were never told, "no...that's not included" other then any and everything in the "wine bar". We did "anytime" dining and once we had a 5 minute wait. Other then that we were seated immediately. We love cruising to Bermuda and in the past 35 or so years, this is our 20-ith or so cruise to the island. The only thing that would have made our trip more enjoyable would have been if the "Breakaway" did not arrive/depart in tandem with the "Summit". There's like a gazillion people on the "Breakaway". Dining was wonderful. So much so that we saw no need to dine in any of the sur charge restaurants. We had a "regular" cabin and were not aqua or concierge class. However, at check-in, the person directing you to which line to queue in said "go there". There was a concierge class only sign, but staff took care of us and we were on the ship in 5 minutes. The new terminal in Bayonne is a gazillion per cent better then the old. No tents, no long lines, no waiting, no shuttle bus for the 200 ft ride to the ship that you wait 20 minutes for a 90 second ride. And upon return SOOOOO much better!!!!!!

UGH! I thought that was going to be the case! So was the wait for buses & ferries hellish w/ all those people?

That Wednesday morning (when we arrived) there was a LOONG line waiting to buy the bus/ferry tickets. Then the line for the ferry to St George went on and on. We were about 50 people from the cut off (ferry was full). We were given priority to get onto the Hamilton ferry and then take the bus from there to St Georges. Worked out OK, and the bus ride is really a very picturesque ride. Spent a good part of the day in St Georges and took the last ferry back to the dockyard. It was full-ish, but no one was turned away. We've been to Bermuda many, many times and used public transport. This was the first time there was always only SRO on the buses and a few times the driver did not stop to pick up more passengers because the occupancy was at capacity. We cruise every couple of years to Bermuda. If they are still sailing, we will take HAL out of Boston as their ship is small enough to dock in Hamilton, and it's the ONLY ship docked there. Between the "Summit" and the "Breakaway" both do Sunday to Sunday sailings. I wish one would do Saturday to Saturday, so on at least the first or final day, there would be only one or the other in the Dockyard.

Between the "Summit" and the "Breakaway" both do Sunday to Sunday sailings. I wish one would do Saturday to Saturday, so on at least the first or final day, there would be only one or the other in the Dockyard.

Other cruise ships are docked there when Summit and Breakaway aren't. RCCL's Liberty is going there through the Summer and Fall and NCL has a ship from Boston, MA calling there. They leave Boston on Friday's get to Bermuda on Sunday and are docked there until Tuesday afternoon. Summit and Breakaway arrive Wednesday morning. Not sure of Liberty's exact schedule.

That Wednesday morning (when we arrived) there was a LOONG line waiting to buy the bus/ferry tickets. Then the line for the ferry to St George went on and on. We were about 50 people from the cut off (ferry was full). We were given priority to get onto the Hamilton ferry and then take the bus from there to St Georges. Worked out OK, and the bus ride is really a very picturesque ride. Spent a good part of the day in St Georges and took the last ferry back to the dockyard. It was full-ish, but no one was turned away. We've been to Bermuda many, many times and used public transport. This was the first time there was always only SRO on the buses and a few times the driver did not stop to pick up more passengers because the occupancy was at capacity. We cruise every couple of years to Bermuda. If they are still sailing, we will take HAL out of Boston as their ship is small enough to dock in Hamilton, and it's the ONLY ship docked there. Between the "Summit" and the "Breakaway" both do Sunday to Sunday sailings. I wish one would do Saturday to Saturday, so on at least the first or final day, there would be only one or the other in the Dockyard.

We've been before as well and have scene the buses not stop for pick up. It was always a scary thought that stuck w/ me so we make sure we don't travel too far on our final day. I agree it would be nice if one or the other bigger ship would do a Saturday to Saturday sailing. It was always very busy w/ two ships in port at the same time but now that the Breakaway is essentially two ships itself I'm not looking forward to dealing w/ those crowds. I guess it'll have to be taxi's for us!:cool: