What do you average spending per day onboard? (Dream)

Laurba99

Drink of the day will cost you about $7. Others a bit more. And then there is the 15% automatic gratuity. When you see that "additional tip" line on the receipt, remember that you've already tipped 15%.

We have done cruises where we spent essentially nothing beyond cruise fare and tips, but then we've done others where we treated ourselves to a spa villa for two, etc.

The choice is yours. You can have a great cruise on a very low budget or you can spend a small fortune on board. DCL likes the guests on short cruises as they tend to spend more on a "per day" basis than on longer cruises.

The places where it is easy to spend include spa, photos, gift shop, and alcohol. People ask what others spend on excursions...again, totally up to you. Float or tube on Castaway,$6...Dolphin trainer for a day, Nassau, $400. Stay on the ship in Nassau, your choice as to what you DO with that time on board.

Some days we spend nothing and others $$$, most of our spending is in Palo/Remy and the gift shops at night.

Don't do pictures. I'm in the wellness business so don't bother spa treatments either. Don't drink during the day around the ship unless it is at brunch or a tasting, so no outlay there. Don't like coffee so don't have to worry about specialty coffees either.

We took some booze onboard and will do this again next time although just champagne and beer for us now, so no more "decent" cocktails on the balcony for us.

So it is up to you what you spend I don't think there is a text book answer to this one.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I never buy photos or spa (rarely). I bet the spending will be my mother in law buying photos and stuff for my son at the gift shop. If I spend it may be a drink or two here and there. There is no pricey game room/arcade right? That stuff is in kids area and free?

I never buy photos or spa (rarely). I bet the spending will be my mother in law buying photos and stuff for my son at the gift shop. If I spend it may be a drink or two here and there. There is no pricey game room/arcade right? That stuff is in kids area and free?

The arcades are being removed any day now so you may or may not have to worry about that depending on when you sail. Being replaced with "pay for" candy and ice cream.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

There is no pricey game room/arcade right? That stuff is in kids area and free?

Everything in the programming for kids is free--even things that would have a cost if done outside of the programming. For instance, if they have a smoothie party, every kid present gets a free smoothie. This is more applicable to older kid stuff though.

There is an arcade, but there is no reason to take your child in there. He can play computer games in the programming area at no charge. Rumor is that the arcade is being removed from the Dream, but as with all things, we'll know it when it happens! And since you said you are cruising in a few days, you'll miss the installation of a "pay extra" ice cream station. The current ice cream station is included in the cruise fare.

On our sailing on the Fantasy last year (7-day Eastern Carib), my family's only expenses were a wine package at dinner ($150?), a ziplining excursion in St. Thomas for the three of us, and brunches in Palo and Remy (champagne pairings) and dinner at Remy (wine pairings and Port course) - and the daily service charge (obviously). I think our bill at the end of the day was around $12-1500.

Edited by Maddysdaddy

That sounds higher than we have ever paid but good to know.

The only "have to" in my book is the suggested tips, which total $12 per guest per night of cruise, so $36 per person on your 3 night cruise.

Anything else you spend on is a choice. We make a cruise budget and stick to it....so if we spend it on excursions it isn't there for wine (or photos or spa or whatever). You can go thru a lot of money very quickly, but there is no need to do that to have a great cruise. Especially on a 3 night cruise, there are plenty of "included with cruise fare" things to do.

Laura, you've made several comments asking if there are things to buy in various locations, etc. You can fritter away a lot of money with those "little" purchases.

I don't know when you are flying in (if you are flying), or any of your travel plans, but there are some things that might make a difference. The food court at MCO has a lot of options. If you are flying in the morning of the cruise and taking DCL transportation, there is no reason that you can't make a stop at the food court before you check in for the bus to the port. That can supply some reasonable food and drink that should be able to tide over the entire gang until you are on board. It would also take up some time that wouldn't be spent just sitting around the terminal if you are arriving early.

If you are coming by car, there are many places near to the terminal where you can purchase snacks, soft drinks, or whatever to bring with you. You are welcome to carry beverages into the terminal (thru security). It isn't like an airport. Saves money, better selection than at the terminal.

I certainly understand if you are getting up early that morning for the flight that you might have a hungry child. Feed him before you are in a "controlled by Disney" situation for the better prices and choices. But if you are coming in a night before, which I always recommend, you can enjoy a huge complimentary breakfast at most hotels...go toward the end of the breakfast times and again, arrive at the terminal a little later. And agree that you will have lunch on the ship as soon as you board, so no need for any snacks in the terminal.

Snacks outside the theatre--go to the pool deck and get them at no charge! There is nothing special about a server in the theatre bringing you a coke vs. carrying it in yourself other than the $3 charge on your KTTW card.

I'm not saying to not have a good time. But if your goal is to not blow the budget on this trip in order to save for spring break, there are lots of ways that save money without reducing enjoyment.

And yes, I've done it both ways. On our European cruises, I spend a lot more on excursions knowing that the places we go are not "been there, done that" locations. On the other hand, we view Caribbean cruises as a time to enjoy the ship as we've been to most of those ports multiple times. There is no right or wrong, but there are lots of money saving tricks on the ships.

Thanks! We

Always make it a point every single

Time to fly in the night before. As you can see I would be way too nervous to fly same

Day! We will be at the radisson I think so hopefully they have a decent breakfast and since we don't have to rush we should be able to eat well and then take shuttle over. I'm

Not worried about buying snacks although you are right. Little purchases do add up! I assume plush Disney toys are the same

Price all

Cruise?

The Radisson is not my favorite hotel, but it does have the best pool. Unless your package specifically includes breakfast, there is a charge for it at this hotel. There are packages that include it. There is also a McDonald's across the street if that suits your little guy better.

Unless an item shows up on a clearance rack, it will stay the same for the entire cruise. And if it does show up on clearance later in the cruise, bring in the item and the receipt and they will match the new price. Plushies are rarely discounted, so I'd plan on them staying the same for the entire cruise.

I like both the Country Inn and Suites and the Renaissance Inn (both in the same area) better than the Radisson--they are newer and breakfast is always included with a stay. Both also offer shuttle service.

The Radisson is older and the last time we were there, was badly in need of some "spiffing up." The hallway smelled bad but the room was OK. Also, the front desk staff seemed quite tired and not wanting to be bothered with guests checking in.

For a single overnight, you'll be fine. We were. But the breakfast was not worth the $20 they wanted to charge. We had a car, so went elsewhere!

That sounds higher than we have ever paid but good to know.

Given that my wife and I are so busy with work, life and with being personal assistants/butler/maid/chauffeur for our tweenage daughter that we 'maybe' go on a date night once every six months, we were ok splurging on ourselves at Remy and Palo.

To break down what we spent on the Fantasy last year: dinner at Remy with the wine pairings, Port course, and tip, was $500 even. Brunch at Remy with the champagne pairings and tip was $200. Brunch at Palo with an extra drink (or two) and tip was $125. Add in the cost of the zipline excursion ($375) and the daily service charges and extra tip for our room attendant, and we may actually have been over my $1500 guesstimate.

I compare this with our first cruise on the Magic back in 2011, and the only extra charges we had were for dinner at Palo and the daily service charges (and I think $50 for bingo one day). So it is possible to sail without having to spend very much on board.

You can get by without spending much on the ship. In my family's first cruise (3-nighter on the Dream), we had a total bill of just under $20. My wife got a glass of wine one night, my kids got a bucket of popcorn in the theater (Frozen), and I had a couple dollars of WiFi costs. We didn't fret about spending or try to be cheap. Most of what we wanted to do was included.

We've been back a few times since. The bill has never again been just $20, but I've yet to be unpleasantly surprised by stateroom charges. There's no need to spend a bunch more to have lots of fun. Once you've paid to board the ship, you truly can be set for a great vacation. (I am leaving out gratuities, but those are known in advance and part of getting on the ship in my eyes.)

(I am leaving out gratuities, but those are known in advance and part of getting on the ship in my eyes.)

You would be surprised by the amount of people that do not realize gratuities are not included in the cruise fare, and then they usually either say they prefer to pay the tips in cash (so they may not), or get defensive about the cost and feel it is right to deduct a night if they do not eat in an MDR and eat elsewhere.

$12pp per night on DCL at the moment, but that will most likely rise up given the other changes they have made to bring them in line with "industry standards"....

ex techie