B2B: off and on routine?

Canuker

How does Cunard handle passengers who are at the end of one cruise and the start of another, please?

We are booked NYC - So'ton - NYC, returning the same day we arrive in So'ton (August 19).

We have technically booked 2 one-way cruises, not one return trip.

We are treating So'ton as a 'port day', and want to get off the ship ASAP for our own 'excursion' and make the best of the time we have ashore. QM2 docks at 06:30 and sails at 18:00.

Cunard, at our verbal request, have very kindly placed us in the same cabin for both journeys (even though we booked through 2 different travel agencies), so we only unpack and pack once while on board (hint for others who might be wondering).

1. When we check in in NYC, can we also 'check in' for the second leg, or must we 'check out' in Southampton and then line up to 'check in' again later in the day?

2. On our 'port day' we want to get off the ship ASAP (7:00 am) to make the most of our day (timed tickets for Buckingham Palace); what is the earliest time we can expect to do this? Will we have to line up with everyone else who are disembarking and again at immigration? And the reverse coming back to the ship? Or can we hop off and on, just like a mid-cruise port-of-call? Perhaps a word with the outbound Purser's office might be helpful?

Any experience / advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Canuker

You don't need to do anything ! The Pursers department will know who their guests are in transit.

You will be receive a letter, delivered to your stateroom about a day or two before ( it 'may include' a new key card or you'll be asked to collect one the morning you arrive into Southampton)

You will have already cleared UK immigration some days before 'onboard the ship'

You walk off the ship as and when you can ,and you 'hand in' your old key card (it may be handed back to you ,but 'keep it separate' from your new key card)

You embark the ship on your return from London using the new key card.

Your outbound onboard account will be closed and a second account will be opened for your return voyage.

Just to add; When checking in at New York you don't need to mention you are returning thy are not interested, the pursers department takes care of all guests in transit.

Edited by Bell Boy

Many thanks to you, Cruiseluvva and Bell Boy.

You were both right.

Ain't Cruise Critic wonderful?!

I've just called Cunard and

1. Yes, the 2 cruises need to be "linked", per Cruiseluvva.

Turns out they already are.

Good.

2. The rep advised me to let the NYC desk know that we are doing linked back-to-backs. This info, apparently, is conveyed to the on board Purser, who I go see (just as you said, Bell Boy) before the end of the cruise and - hey presto they give us our second set of cards for the second crossing.

No immigration (done on board, as you rightly mentioned). No need to wait for the luggage-laden hoards leaving the ship permanently - just walk off, like a mid-cruise port-of-call.

Presto!

Perfect.

This is good to know. I was hoping it would all be a simple affair - I've got b2b on QE in Dec. Very happy I was able to secure the same stateroom for the whole 25 nights.

Is it worth doing any of the Cunard in transit excursions out of Southampton? If I recall there are several offered. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm already doing a day trip to Bath and Bristol the day before I board for the 25 nights.

Cunard doesn't seem to offer much in the way of tours out of Southampton. They are all tours into the countryside and most time will be aboard a bus getting to and fro.

If it's any help, as an alternative, here is the text of a suggested walking tour of Downtown Southampton that I put together in answer to a request on my Roll Call thread.

The focus is on shops and pubs, as this had been requested by the originator. But it has other focuses, too. Anyway, the price is right!

As one who used to live in Southampton, I think I can help:

- Exit the port (north of the Ship) at Dock Gate 4 (there will be a park across from the Gate).

- Walk West along Platform Road (which morphs into Town Quay Road) to the High Street.

- Take High Street north. You will pass the Red Lion pub on the east side of the street. Lovely Tudor decor inside. Feel like Henry VIII! The grand old buildings that still remain along here were once headquarters of import/export merchants, shipping lines, banks and maritime insurance companies, who dominated the local economy until air traffic made it virtually all redundant. There is a maritime souvenirs store called Oceans at 160 High Street; all sorts of knick-knacks and they will store left luggage, too! The High Street has a few shops at the northern end, towards the iconic "Bar Gate" (as does East Street off to the right). Further north, past the Bar Gate (explore inside if you like) you will find a pedestrian precinct with lots of shops.

- Then walk west along short Portland Street. At the end is Portland Terrace, where you'll see an indoor, multi-storey mall called West Quay. Lots of stores in here, too. National brands and a good bookstore, called Waterstones.

- South on Portland Terrace runs into Castle Way. Take Hamtun Street one block west to Bugle Street. One block south on Bugle is the Titanic Public House, with lots of memorabilia. There are all kinds of little back streets to explore in this area, if you wish, which used to be the merchant and financial hub of the City, in its golden days as an international port (now it's mainly container traffic). You'll spot parts of the old city walls that date back to Roman times.

- Further south on Bugle (past the Tudor House museum - well worth a visit) is The Duke of Wellington, my favourite pub in this area. Lots of local beers and a little street patio too. Decent food (local fish is good).

- Walk further south on Bugle Street and you're back at Town Quay, just west of where you turned up the High Street, where the ferries leave for The Isle of Wight. If you have time, nearby is Mayflower Park, with excellent views of the docks areas (including the QM2) and the Mayflower Monument, from where the Pilgrim Fathers set out to seek the New World.

- Head East on Town Quay, back to the dock gate and the ship and you'll be an expert on the old part of the city of Southampton!

It sounds like a lot, but in terms of the basic street walking the furthest from the ship will be about 1.7 km (approx. 1 mile) so you're never too far and it should allow you the time to stop off here and there along the route. A print from Google Maps should help, at: atGoogle Maps

Any day but Sunday you should be able to mingle with the locals, especially around lunch time.

They're a friendly lot.

Best,

Canuker

PS, another suggestion: another 'excursion' could be as a foot passenger on either the Isle of Wight ferry (take the lazy ship, not hydrofoil; around 60 minutes each way, about every hour). Or take the Hythe ferry (about 10 minutes, every half-hour), both leaving from Town Quay. Great views of the docks and Southampton Water if you missed the show coming in that morning, or you just like messing about in ships. And a great way to get that special 'outside' photo of the QM2.

Canuker, thank you for the comprehensive list of things to do in Southampton. I stayed there a few days once before, but mostly went out of town. I did get to see the maritime museum - it was quite good.

The pubs sound like good options for lunch.

It seems the smarter option than travelling into London for the day (especially as I'll have four days there before I travel back down to board QM2).

Glad it helps.

Speaking of lunch, if you'd like something a little different, there's a gatropub, across that park outside the dock gate, on Oxford St (about #30 I think) called The White Star Tavern. Not cheap but good. High-end British. Less than 5 minutes walk from the cruise terminal.