River Cruise Excursions

Kryssa

Hydrokitty,

I think that it should work anywhere you have cellular data available. I suspect that cellular data service in the wilds of western Canada may be hard to come by. You might find some coverage maps online somewhere. The advantage on your cruise would be the ability to use it when you're not on the ship.

Janetcbl, TEP claims to be secure. You can look at the website and judge for yourself what that means.

FuelScience

LOL...I live in the 'wilds of western Canada'. When we drive through the Rockies between our home on the west coast and my family home in Calgary, we have cell coverage the whole way. Might depend on your carrier...we use Rogers with 4 G.

Thanks--wife has a Samsung Galaxy, will have to play with that app!!

I have the Galaxy S 5 and according to the book I bought, "Teach Yourself Visually, Samsung Galaxy S5", the Map App that comes pre-loaded operates off GPS and will provide walking, driving, public transportation. It seems pretty easy to use...but I have to take it out today and try it. I'll report back.

Thanks--wife has a Samsung Galaxy, will have to play with that app!!

Ok Sharkster here's what I learned in a crash course from my son this morning. Samsung Galaxy with 4G is best android available today. BUT my Verizon coverage is only good in continental USA and if I try to use the phone outside of US, in Canada or Europe, I will get hit with what he describes as "potentially staggering charges". So, before I leave I will call Verizon and extend my coverage to include Canada, which will cost roughly $20 per month until I cancel it, and when I'm not using the phone I will put it in airplane mode so it doesn't keep trying to find a signal. Apparently I can use the maps when I'm somewhere that I need to find a walking route or public transportation route, but for everything else I will use my Kindle Fire because as long as I get free wifi (hotels, etc.) I can facebook and e-mail (but not text, who cares) and if phone is in airplane mode I can play games and read books but not do anything that requires a wifi server. Now, I'm not swearing to the accuracy of what I just said because I really don't understand it, I'm just repeating what I was told! :D

LOL...I live in the 'wilds of western Canada'. When we drive through the Rockies between our home on the west coast and my family home in Calgary, we have cell coverage the whole way. Might depend on your carrier...we use Rogers with 4 G.

Well you Canadians are just so much more sophisticated than us:D When I visit son in Denver and we go up into the mountains coverage is spotty at best. I use Verizon, which is pretty reliable, at least on flat ground!! :D

My husband uses an app on his cell phone called CityMaps2Go. We've used this in Italy, Greece and Puerto Rico. We've checked the ports for a river cruise we will be on in Germany and most of the towns were available. There is a trial of 5 places and then he paid $4 or $5 after he saw he liked the app.

+1

For $5 (free version has ads) I downloaded onto my wifi iPad all the maps I needed for a month in France and Italy last April. Plus there is a wealth of info including attractions and hotels.

As for phone plans, T Mobile currently offers a two line plan with unlimited talk, text and data for $100. Unlimited international data and text is included, talk is .20 per minute. They do have single line plans as well.