Are Characters around ship while in port?

BarbGar

Looking at several different Disney cruises with 7 grandchildren. Was wonder if the characters were around while in port, should a particular day we decide to stay on board?

Are there activities with the characters while in port?

Thanks so much.

At Castaway Cay, there are characters on the island. At other ports, there are typically not character appearances scheduled on board while the ship is docked. There IS a full kid's program which may include some character activities. Usually the character appearances start again right after the ship sails. You may see isolated characters while in port, but not the scheduled meet and greets. They would just be strolling around the ship and playing with guests, which is really fun....but this cannot be predicted.

Thanks for the info. I really thought the characters would be all over the ship, wasn't sure about days in port.

Does anyone know what are the ages for the children's program? And what is the time frame of the program? Did your children enjoy it? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Any particular ship you would recommend over another?

Kid programming for ages 3-17 is included in the cruise fare. Under 3, there is a nursery available for $9 per hour per child (there is a slight reduction for more than one child in the same cabin). But under 3s pay a lower cruise fare, so it rather evens out.

3-12 are in the Oceaneer's Club (little kid area) and Lab (bigger kid area). They can mix as they see fit--long ago there were set ages, but no matter where the lines were drawn, there were unhappy parents.

11-14 Edge "tween" program

14-17 Vibe teen program.

Club and Lab are generally open 9 am - midnight. Meals are served in the programming area, but kids are not made to sit down and eat. SO, if you are planning an adult dinner and want to be sure the kids eat, either tell the CMs that they need to eat in the area or feed them before you take them. Edge has similar hours. Kids in the Edge MUST be able to come and go as they please. If your kid needs to be signed in and out, the Lab is the place for them.

Vibe generally opens about noon and stays open till 1-2 am.

You've probably noticed the overlap in ages. Kids in the overlap area and their parents can decide which programming level is more suited to them. For example, a 14 year old may be more comfortable in the teen (high school type) programming or the tween (more middle school oriented) programming. No, the programs are not like school, but you get the idea.

There are also "open house" hours in the various programming locations.The kids in secure programming are moved to another area during this time. During open house hours, kids of any age are welcome in any area WITH THEIR PARENTS/guardian, adult supervisor. This is a great time for little people to take big brother to show him/her what they have been doing, etc. It is also a time when "under 3s" can play in the Oceaneer's Club.

Which ship sort of depends on what age kids. The newer ships have more to do for the older kids. There is plenty for younger ones on all of the ships. The newer ships are more high tech. But...my favorite is the Magic, which is the first ship DCL launched. I like the smaller ship compared to the bigger Fantasy. Now, if I had to compare Dream and Fantasy, it would be Fantasy (at least until Dream gets some of the improvements at her dry dock). But in reality, it is a matter of where the ship is going when I am free to cruise.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks for the info. I really thought the characters would be all over the ship, wasn't sure about days in port.

Does anyone know what are the ages for the children's program? And what is the time frame of the program? Did your children enjoy it? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Any particular ship you would recommend over another?

You'll find the entire experience is more classy and elegant than you might expect with Disney and characters and the focus on kids. All of the ships are beautiful and very much early 20th century style. It's definitely not a theme park, cartoony experience.

Kid programming for ages 3-17 is included in the cruise fare. Under 3' date=' there is a nursery available for $9 per hour per child (there is a slight reduction for more than one child in the same cabin). But under 3s pay a lower cruise fare, so it rather evens out.

3-12 are in the Oceaneer's Club (little kid area) and Lab (bigger kid area). They can mix as they see fit--long ago there were set ages, but no matter where the lines were drawn, there were unhappy parents.

You've probably noticed the overlap in ages. Kids in the overlap area and their parents can decide which programming level is more suited to them. For example, a 14 year old may be more comfortable in the teen (high school type) programming or the tween (more middle school oriented) programming. No, the programs are not like school, but you get the idea.

There are also "open house" hours in the various programming locations.The kids in secure programming are moved to another area during this time. During open house hours, kids of any age are welcome in any area WITH THEIR PARENTS/guardian, adult supervisor. This is a great time for little people to take big brother to show him/her what they have been doing, etc. It is also a time when "under 3s" can play in the Oceaneer's Club.

[/quote']

Thanks for the detailed explanation Moki's Mom.

A quick question - does a 10 1/2 year old have to be signed in and out of the Club by a parent? (She's the oldest of 3 and SUPER responsible!) Also, will she be allowed to bring a 2 1/2 year old to the Club during open house hours?

Thanks!

Any child, 8 or over, can sign themselves in and out with parental permission (which will be noted on the youth activities computer.) I really don't know if a 10 year old will be allowed to bring a 2 year old to "open house" hours. I do know that you must be 12 to be permitted to sign a sibling out of programming--a 10 year old cannot sign out a 7 year old.

Of course, policies change on a regular basis, especially in youth activities.