Alcohol Policy on DCL (OLD POLICY, SEE STICKY POSTS FOR NEW POLICY)

Host Mick

The original file is HERE

Q: May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A: While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as your "larger rolling luggage" fits through the airport carry on type x-ray machines in the terminal (must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension) you are all set to go.

Otherwise you need to check your luggage at the curb and have it delivered to your Stateroom, and in which case no alcohol in your checked baggage, you need it in your carry on.

ex techie

I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but when you check in for a cruise, you check your suitcases with the porters, and they get to your Stateroom later that evening.

Your carry on's are the only ones allowed onboard as per the dimension's I posted earlier.

Think of it like checking in on an airline, big bag's meet you at the other end, small ones within the dimensions are allowed.

ALL except, DCL wan't your large liquids with you in your carry on when checking in!

All alcohol and water you bring with you needs to be in the carry on so that it doesn't get squished or broken enroute to your Stateroom.

Concealed large liquids may be confiscated and returned at the end of your cruise.

Also, if your liquids damage others suitcases and clothing and DCL can attribute it to you, you may be liable for their cleaning and or replacement costs.

You CAN carry ALL of your baggage and luggage OFF the ship with you if you choose to.

Other wise you leave it out on the last night and you can reclaim it in the baggage hall before Customs the next morning.

Sorry if there is any misunderstanding and you knew this already. :)

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

• 3 months later...

How does Disney remove items from your bags? My bags will be locked with TSA locks! Do they keep them in a storage hold area and notify you to come and claim like other cruise lines do?

The Disney rules seem odd to me so I may accidentally pack something "illegal" and not realize it! :(

Edited by cruislovin

• 2 months later...
How does Disney remove items from your bags? My bags will be locked with TSA locks! Do they keep them in a storage hold area and notify you to come and claim like other cruise lines do?

The Disney rules seem odd to me so I may accidentally pack something "illegal" and not realize it! :(

Defeating a TSA lock is child's play. all those locks do is tell people you might have something they want

Do a YouTube search

Edited by Carolla5501

• 2 weeks later...

The same way the TSA locks can be removed in the event the bag needs to be searched before flying.

That said, if you decide to ignore the rules (not sure what seems "odd" - what is and isn't allowed is pretty straightforward IMHO) and your smuggled beverages break and leak and damage someone else's luggage, you WILL be required to pay for at the very least cleaning and at the worst a clothing replacement allowance for those whose luggage you damaged. One of my cruises there was a kerfuffle in the hall as a couple of the ships' officers went to a cabin down the hall where the person was trying to smuggle alcohol in their bag and it had broken and damaged others' luggage. He was told in no uncertain terms that he would be required to reimburse for the damage or he would be removed from the ship.

• 1 month later...
The original file is HERE

Q: May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A: While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

You might want to change the first post of this sticky since corking fee has increased to $25 as shown in your link above. And mention that there is a most restricted limitation on carry on alcoholic beverage items.

Edited by wdrl

One aspect of Disney Cruises that we like is the family orientation (we have no kids) and consequently I find that cruisers might act differently with the kids around. While most of us go with the flow and cause no problems others have lost control. As with everything in our society, laws and regulations are more for those who can't exercise self control than the rest of us.

I don't need to know why Disney made the changes but it's a company that is detailed oriented and very guest experience focused. The changes won't affect us too much as the biggest change is the banning of spirits. The restrictions on where you carry alcohol, how much, etc. seem pretty much the same.

I don't think that people appreciate how alcohol can contribute to dehydration. Alcohol acts like a diuretic so the more alcohol you drink, the more you will be peeing. If your cruise is through a hot and humid area of the world dehydration can be the ruin of your cruise. Limiting alcohol and drinking lots of water are well advised. Extreme dehydration can be fatal and heat stroke can just sneak up on you if you are not paying attention.

A nurse whom I know was telling me about a cruise she took through the Panama Canal. So many people became dehydrated that the doctor was run off their feet trying to keep up with the number of people coming to the medical area. I am sure that it was not all involving alcohol consumption but it was a cautionary tale.

Anyway sorry to sound preachy (I worked in mental and addictions for 30 years)