Cruise with an 8 month old?

UNDCruisers

Hello! Our family recently went on our first Disney cruise (Fantasy) and LOVED it! DH and I have cruised many times, but this was the first time on Disney and first time with our kids. Our kids are 7 and 3 and LOVED it as well. We are one month out from the cruise and they still talk about it every day and ask when our next one will be!

So, to my title question. We are considering cruising Disney again April 2016, BUT will have a new member of our family by then who will be 8 months old.

Looking for advice on cruising with an infant as we have always avoided this in the past! Thus the reason our kids' first cruise was when they were 7 and 3!

Thanks in advance!

Well, this means you'll need a 5 person cabin. They are more readily available in a variety of categories on the newer ships. On the classics, the only 5 person cabins are cat 4s and concierge, which are quite costly.

The baby will be less work on board than at home--your stateroom host will set up and take down the Pack and Play crib per your directions, empty the diaper genie twice daily, etc. The nursery is there when you want it--make your reservations in advance or take your chances with availability at a time you want to drop off. Remember that the hallways are not for storage of your stroller--it will need to be in your cabin. It can be stored under the bed, in the closet, or in the tub depending on size, etc. Large strollers are available on loan from guest services, so a small one is often preferable on the ship (borrow a big one if needed for excursions). Pack diapers, wipes, etc. OR rent a car to get to the terminal and make a stop at Wal-mart on the way....or if your cruise stops at Key West, there is a CVS that will have all your supplies. The ship carries a limited number of diapers, wipes, and other baby supplies and they may run out of your size or not have your brand. Besides price, you can't count on them having what you want...and when they have it, it is costly. Guest Services can supply a bottle warmer. The dining room will puree food for you, cook it salt free or whatever you need.

Characters are trained not to approach children unless the children make the first move. Some babies are terrified by furries, some love them. You just have to see how it goes.

What specific questions do you have? Kids under 2 can fly free in your lap. Personal opinion--you won't put them in a vehicle without a car seat, why would you hold them on your lap on a plane? Your arms can no more protect the in a plane crash than in a car crash. Most car seats are airline approved, but if you put them in a seat with the car seat, you pay for a ticket. Kids under 3 ride the DCL bus free, again without a seat counted for them. THey may have a seat if there is an extra, but if the bus is full, they are lap kids. No seat belts. Many private services will supply car seats, some charge extra for this.

We are cruising with our 8 month old this weekend! I will be sure to update when we get back! My son took his 1st cruise at 20 months so this will be a little different, dealing w/ bottles, etc. But overall, as long as she sleeps okay, I think all will go well! I am bringing this travel dry rack that also fits a small container of dish soap

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Travel-Drying-Bottle-Brush-/dp/B00AA7O4CS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430240409&sr=8-4&keywords=travel+baby+bottles

at 8 months, my daughter is eating a lot of regular food so I'm just bringing some puffs for when we're out and about. A few teethers. Some infant tylonol. Thermometer. I've gotten some good tips here and other boards and blogs, so if you have specific questions, post away!

Thanks Moki'smommy - that helps a lot. I don't have any specific questions right now, just more generally "Am I crazy to bring an 8 month old or not?" :)

Thanks tbag124! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

The cruise is obviously not for the 8 month old.....but your other kids will love it, as will you. And you'll have some great photo ops. 2 parents with a 8 month old, I question (sorry). But with the other kids, it makes sense.

Took our first cruise back in 2013 with our then 8-month old. It was with Celebrity which wasn't as infant friend as Royal and Disney are, however, what does an 8-month old really need. Here is my review. It is lengthy but you my find a few tidbits in there that you'll find helpful to you and your situation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1794896

Thanks Moki'smommy - that helps a lot. I don't have any specific questions right now, just more generally "Am I crazy to bring an 8 month old or not?" :)

Thanks tbag124! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Youre not crazy. I know my 5 yr old will have a great time just like your older kids. Some people will tell you youre crazy but only you know how your kids are and what youre willing to handle and what your expectations are. I'm personally planning on being very open to things going off course and if a nap is needed, or we miss an "planned event" so be it. It'll all work out and we'll be having more fun onboard then at home. We feel the same way when we go to WDW. no need to try and do it all.

I took my (crawling) 6 month old on Disney Dream back in September. She definitely had a limit for how long she would stay in the nursery (and wouldn't really sleep there), but she did enjoy being there with the other kids and toys. She also enjoyed the kids club open house -- so much to explore! -- and a special little ones playtime in an open space by one of the dining rooms where a staff member brought some rattles and balls and things for the under-2s.

Also...cutest pirate ever!

She never made it through dinner, so I was constantly coming late, running her to the nursery in the middle, etc. The Wave Phones were great -- I would call my order in to my parents and then arrive to hot food. (Also, baby liked to teeth on them -- ugh.) You can order purees in both the main rotation restaurants and the buffet, but alert them in advance.

They have strollers to borrow on Castaway Cay, which can handle the sand, and we got a nap in that way. Baby really liked the Caribbean water, but make sure you have infant-appropriate sunscreen.

Happy cruising!

The only advice I can offer is good luck and I hope it all goes your way.

Make sure you have very comprehensive travel health insurance!

Personally I would wait. 24 month's at a minimum to cruise. There are too many variables with them at that age IMO, and you can only get some rest some of the time with the nursery and you breast feeding, so not really a vacation for you.

Outside of the nursery there is very little to entertain the baby or keep them occupied at that age.

And it can affect the others in your family if you or they are are stressed with a very young baby, so I would personally wait until the little one is older.

ex techie

We cruised twice with an infant with us, first cruise when DD was 9 months old on Celebrity, second DD 3.5 and DS1 on NCL. I found that it was a perfect family vacation: no cleaning, cooking, dish washing, driving (and fighting that comes with it to latch the baby in carseat!). Just having fun with the kids and having a chance to eat at the restaurant every night without all the organization it takes back home! If baby is tired or need a diaper change, you're never more than a short walk away from your room: one parent can stay with the oldest at the activity while the other parent takes care of the baby. One a my best memories is breastfeeding on the balcony! As excursions we preferred choosing either to stay close to the ship to be able to board back quickly if needed - or we choose to book an excursion with the ship leaving in motorcoach not to worry about carseats. Also cruise #2 was chosen so we could drive to port which can be easier to manage than a flight with kids and lots of luggages. Also consider introducing food that will be easily available on the ship : chicken, salmon, some dairies (although mines were slighlty older and maybe more interested to have a bit from their parents' plate!) Enjoy your planning, no vacation is totally relaxing with a baby but certainly cruising will take your mind away from the family routine!

GO!!!

You will end up taking a vacation somewhere and Disney is the best with infants. I have 4 kids and we have sailed with each of them as an infants. Some on other cruise lines. No one compares to Disney. They take such good care of families and the nursery is really great. I would not hesitate to go for one second!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback! We are planning to go! As I mentioned in my opening post, our first Disney cruise was on the Fantasy. We are looking to try the Wonder 5-night spring break of 2016. It is half the price of Fantasy 7-night for the same week! Looking forward to trying a different ship, but hoping we won't be disappointed. We know the kids will love it no matter what, but DH and I are more "big-ship" type people - we LOVED RCI's Allure of the Seas (trip without kiddos). But, I've done some searching on the boards about the Wonder and it seems most appreciate its charm, which I am sure we will too. And less people at Castaway sounds great too!

Thanks again everyone! Love hearing all of the opinions and doing research on this board.

This question is asked daily on the Family boards. In fact there are a lot of crazy people who do this. I did it at that same age with twins though it wasn't a Disney ship. It was my easiest cruise I think with the kids. The 1 year and 18 months was much harder. (Because at that age they just like being with you. )

Check the family boards and search baby or infants for tons of advice like bring lots of wipes and diapers because they are very expensive on most ships. All your questions and the ones you didn't think to ask will be answered.