Handicapped help for Muse from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale

meow!

One of us can walk only a couple of hundred steps at a time with a cane. The other can walk, but is by no means an athlete by any imagination and cannot push a wheel chair. At airports, we always request a wheel chair or golf cart in the "cannot walk far" category.

For the planned Montreal to Fort Lauderdale voyage in late September, 2017, we will need a wheel chair at both the embarkation and disembarkation ports. We believe that should not be a problem, correct?

As for the ports in-between, does anybody know which ones will provide wheel chairs and which ones will not? Or will taxis be available right by the ship (or can the ship call a taxi for us)? If not, we will just stay on the ship for that port.

While on the ship we figure that the ship is just 600 ft long, and in most cases, one will not have to walk more than two-thirds of the way, i.e. 400 ft or 300 steps from one point to the other, with railings in-between most of the way to hold on to, and chairs to sit on. So we should be able to limp along with a cane without extra help. In those stormy days, we would just order room service. To lighten our luggage, we will not pack formal wear, and will order "course by course room service" on our balcony instead ... romantic, isn't it?

Can you experienced Silversea cruisers advise us on whether this plan will work? [We have been on Silver Spirit once in 2010, and Silver Shadow twice in 2004 and 2007 respectively. ]

I did a crossing on one of the smaller ships with a broken leg -- using crutches most of the time and a wheelchair on stormy days. Obviously, I had advised SS of my limitations in advance. We were not in one of the adapted suites.

I boarded at Barbados with the vegetables. The local staff had wheelchairs. I disembarked at Tower Bridge, which was exciting, carried by four waiters in the hospital chair, to and off the small boat to cross the Thames. I don't know about your specific ports, but perhaps SS could give you chapter and verse?

Staff on board were very helpful.

I did not attempt to get off the ship at intermediate ports. (I was happy to be doing the trip at all.) However, we do see physically-challenged people leaving and re-joining the ship routinely, including being carried up and down the gangway in wheelchairs.

There are a few wheelchairs on board, though I think SS expects guests to bring their own if needed for use ashore.

I did a crossing on one of the smaller ships with a broken leg -- using crutches most of the time and a wheelchair on stormy days. Obviously, I had advised SS of my limitations in advance. We were not in one of the adapted suites.

I boarded at Barbados with the vegetables. The local staff had wheelchairs. I disembarked at Tower Bridge, which was exciting, carried by four waiters in the hospital chair, to and off the small boat to cross the Thames. I don't know about your specific ports, but perhaps SS could give you chapter and verse?

Staff on board were very helpful.

I did not attempt to get off the ship at intermediate ports. (I was happy to be doing the trip at all.) However, we do see physically-challenged people leaving and re-joining the ship routinely, including being carried up and down the gangway in wheelchairs.

There are a few wheelchairs on board, though I think SS expects guests to bring their own if needed for use ashore.

Thank you kindly for your very helpful reply. Any more comments and information from anyone?

On our cruise last year there was a lady with a motorised fold up scooter.

She used it around the ship and on excursions. I think the crew helped her by carrying it down the gangway. She was able to walk down with a stick.

She would "drive" it to the dining room and park it in a corner and walk with her stick to the table.

I imagine that would make life much easier and independent for the Person needing the assistance.

It would also mean going on excursions that you may not have been able to consider with just an ordinary wheelchair.

I'm not sure if you can hire them but it would help make the person more mobile after the cruise too.

The idea of a motorized scooter is an excellent one. No one has to push it and it certainly does give the rider freedom. If you haven't done so already, you may want to inquire on the Cruise Critic Disabled message board about reputable rental companies. As far as we have heard, the scooter will be delivered to your suite when you board, and you simply leave it in your suite when you disembark.

The idea of a motorized scooter is an excellent one. No one has to push it and it certainly does give the rider freedom. If you haven't done so already, you may want to inquire on the Cruise Critic Disabled message board about reputable rental companies. As far as we have heard, the scooter will be delivered to your suite when you board, and you simply leave it in your suite when you disembark.

You are so very helpful. Thank you! I found on the web the rental company you were referring to, while I cannot quote its name (as per board rules), I can quote (without name) some of the services they provide, as follows:

" ... All scooters have three wheels for easier maneuverability ... Standard and heavy duty scooters can fit through most standard cruise staterooms and hotel rooms .. All scooters are steered using a bicycle-style handlebar (or tiller). Scooters may be used indoors or outdoors. The maximum weight capacity for scooters is as follows: standard scooters - 249 lbs ... "

The company will deliver it to our cabin just before we embark, and take it back from our cabin when we disembark. For a two week voyage, Montreal to Fort Lauderdale, the total price is $409, very reasonable and affordable. If we want extra days post-cruise in Fort Lauderdale, they will pick it up from our hotel. Additional cost is $5 a day. Cannot find anything better than that.

Thanks so much to all cruise critic posters for replying. This board is providing necessary service to the cruising community!

Given this cruise ends in a different country than it began, I'm astounded at the price for the rental.

It will increase the enjoyment of your cruise so is an excellent value.

Thanks for sharing the details. I probably would have dismissed the service as being too expensive to even look into (just as I've found the luggage shipping far too expensive to consider) but now I know it is something that is affordable considering the value it will add to a cruise.

Be forewarned, Montreal is not as easily accessible as some other North American cities. The port is in Old Montreal so pay attention to that. Lots of stairs, steep hills and cobblestones. So, even with the scooter, exploring more than a block or two away from the waterfront may be difficult. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot to see along the waterfront (there is more than a day's worth of exploring/eating there alone), just to keep in mind that getting around 'on foot' may be more of a challenge.

Of you are stopping in Halifax there is a waterfront boardwalk that takes you right to the centre of the tourist zone if you are exploring on your own. The ferries are accessible as well (although you will have to stay inside since you won't be able to go up to the open deck) and it can be fun to look back from the Dartmouth side at your ship in port. Have a Beavertail while you are there.

...Be forewarned, Montreal is not as easily accessible as some other North American cities...

If we take a taxi form our hotel to the pier in Montreal (where is that?), will some service personnel be available at the door to greet us with a wheelchair and take us through the process right onto the ship?

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/15377-new-montreal-cruise-terminal-set-for-may-2017-debut.html

New Montreal Cruise Terminal Set for May 2017 Debut -- July 05, 2016

... “We have a temporary terminal we set up for this (2016) season,” he said. “We bought a big tent which will then become the secondary terminal.”...

...Among the new highlights of the $78 million (CAN) facility will be more streamlined operations, said Gilson. “Everything will be in the ground level,” ...

Meow - We will also be on that cruise. Looking forward to meeting you. Will I recognize you as the person with the tape measure? I might have mine as well!

I know there are a number of cc.com people who have reserved this cruise, so it should be lots of fun. There is already a roll call started for this cruise.

See you next year.

If we take a taxi form our hotel to the pier in Montreal (where is that?), will some service personnel be available at the door to greet us with a wheelchair and take us through the process right onto the ship?

You should be. It is just if you want to wander around the city before the cruise, you need to be aware that the old areas of town are tricky to maneuver

with wheels (stroller or wheelchair) and the cobblestones are hard for those with walking difficulties, especially when wet.

Door to door will be fine in most cases (unless the trendy restaurant only has steps up, for example.)