Reykjavik tours

zqtchas

Anybody have any experience with private tours in Reykjavik? We will be stopping there in Sep with the S Whisper. Did not see much in CC. Must have been looking in the wrong section.

Thanks.

I would rent a car. Easy to do. And driving in Iceland is super easy. We have done this twice.

It's very easy but also expensive; average rental is the same price as a full-day Golden Circle tour (for 1 person). The benefits of a tour - especially if you haven't been to Iceland before - is that they will take you to all the main points of interest and give you tons of background and history on what you're seeing. We did a Golden Circle tour through Gateway to Iceland (gatewaytoiceland.is) a few years back, it was absolutely fantastic. Another option is Reykjavik Excursions (re.is), it's the biggest tour company there, I heard good things (I've only done Blue Lagoon transfers through them, though, not a full tour).

It's very easy but also expensive; average rental is the same price as a full-day Golden Circle tour (for 1 person). The benefits of a tour - especially if you haven't been to Iceland before - is that they will take you to all the main points of interest and give you tons of background and history on what you're seeing. We did a Golden Circle tour through Gateway to Iceland (gatewaytoiceland.is) a few years back, it was absolutely fantastic. Another option is Reykjavik Excursions (re.is), it's the biggest tour company there, I heard good things (I've only done Blue Lagoon transfers through them, though, not a full tour).

We did the golden circle tour ourselves, just in a rental car. Super easy, and we did not think it was outrageously expensive as there were 4 of us.

Thanks all for the help. The stop is from 8am-6pm don't seem like enough time to see much.

That's actually plenty of time, either by guided tour, or even on your own. We've done this stop twice, and I checked our itineraries. The first time we were there only from 10A-6P. We rented a car, did our own Golden Circle tour, and came back with time to spare.

The other time we were there 7A-6P, but the rental car offices weren't open until 8A anyway, so we had to cool our heels and wait a little bit... That time, we went South to the Reykanes Peninsula which had many nice stops.

Since you want information about guided tours, I won't drag your thread too far off topic. But, wanted you to know that the Golden Circle is easily doable in the time frame you've mentioned. It won't leave you much time for the actual city of Reykjavik, but that just means you'll have to visit again. :)