WC Words of Wisdom Please

mysty

hi

We also put colour photo copies of passports and contact details inside our cases in a sealed envelope. The data is also on a memory stick in the hand luggage including the losted credit card numbers and the number to dial from around the world.

Do make sure that your mobile will work and that the company does not block your calls because you have breached the data limit. We found out the hard way and most call center people have no knowledge of the world map or time zones

Joe

Hi Joe! Thanks so much for your great suggestions! We are hoping to get a global sim card for the phone. We'll get it early and see how well it works. The colour copies of passports and contact details is an excellent idea and the memory stick backup is something I would not have thought of. Thanks for taking the time to come back to this thread with your words of wisdom! :)

Hi

I see that a list and short bio of the guest lecturers is on the web site now.

Some very famous and interesting people this year many I would love to have dinner with but maybe next time.

joe

ps if you are into photography or just a iphone shooter i highly recommend Tracy Fleming. You never know you might win the competition:):)

Sorry I will not be there.

Hi

I see that a list and short bio of the guest lecturers is on the web site now.

Some very famous and interesting people this year many I would love to have dinner with but maybe next time.

joe

ps if you are into photography or just a iphone shooter i highly recommend Tracy Fleming. You never know you might win the competition:):)

Sorry I will not be there.

Hi Joe! So sorry you will not be there! You sound like a really nice guy! Thanks for the heads up on the guest speakers. I'll go check that out! I am into photography - not anywhere near a pro though! Thanks so much for all the words of wisdom you've provided!

Tracy is terrific and would love to talk about photography.

Hi duct tape! Thanks for checking in here again! I followed Jon Fleming's blog on the 2015 WC and I loved Tracy's pictures! That blog was really helpful in giving us a wee bit of a peek at what the WC experience might be like. And they both seem like interesting people. I'm getting very excited about this adventure!

The Flemings are lovely people...both very good at what they do. SS is lucky to have them on board. Jon's destination lectures are fun and always very informative.

I'd love to read Jon's blog. Would you please share the link? I'd like to know all I can about the pros and cons of such a long voyage. I am currently sneaking up on my husband with little hints about considering the 2017 WC. So far he is oblivious to my snippets. In some ways I'm really not sure I want to be away for 116 days...so maybe I'm being too subtle on purpose.

We have been cruising about 4 pretty long cruises a year...we try to have them be around 20 days. The longest so far was 29 days. We did fine...not even one murderous thought..at least from me.

Every single World Cruiser I have ever spoken to has told me they have loved their experience. A whole bunch go every year! Does anyone want to tell about NOT loving a WC..and why?

The Flemings are lovely people...both very good at what they do. SS is lucky to have them on board. Jon's destination lectures are fun and always very informative.

I'd love to read Jon's blog. Would you please share the link? I'd like to know all I can about the pros and cons of such a long voyage. I am currently sneaking up on my husband with little hints about considering the 2017 WC. So far he is oblivious to my snippets. In some ways I'm really not sure I want to be away for 116 days...so maybe I'm being too subtle on purpose.

We have been cruising about 4 pretty long cruises a year...we try to have them be around 20 days. The longest so far was 29 days. We did fine...not even one murderous thought..at least from me.

Every single World Cruiser I have ever spoken to has told me they have loved their experience. A whole bunch go every year! Does anyone want to tell about NOT loving a WC..and why?

Here is the link to Jon Fleming's blog for the 2015 WC. I really enjoyed following along on the trip. :) This will be our first WC and our 2nd SS cruise. I have been planning since we booked last year. Hope your hints work out for you! :)

http://blog.jonfleming.co.uk/2015/01/january-5th-2015-world-cruise-commences.html

OK, helpful folks, is there a limit on baggage size for the complimentary Silver Shore Baggage Valet service? I know each bag cannot weigh more than 50 lbs but is there a limit on dimensions? Thanks for any help! :)

Hi

Not that I have encountered, we send 4 large cases and bring 1 each on plane. Along with the hand luggage. If you are on for the duration then you should have a limit of 60 lbs on plane at least we do coming from uk and travelling business.

Planning is everything and watch out if fed ex pickup is arranged for a day to close to xmas hols . Each case is numbered and we have a list of the items in each one.

Don't be surprised if the fedex man changes the way the case paper work is done . He seems to know best. I track mine constantly much to my wife's ire (look there in memphis , look they inla great fun and relief.

Best wishes

Joe

Thanks so much Joe! You are so generous with your time and your knowledge! I really appreciate it! I think I will be the person tracking for my husband and me. I hate surprises and I would rather just spend a little time keeping track of things. Take care Joe! :)

• 2 weeks later...

No. World Cruises are fantastic. Not only do you get the benefits of a standard cruise, you have a chance to really get to know your fellow passengers. That is a very large part of why there are some who do it every year; they have made lifelong friends that they get to see for 4 months. As one of our friends said, they see 'us' more than their family that lives in the same city.

Did anyone mention giving your credit card company a listing of all the countries you will be visiting. Also ATM cards. We do this for 66 days too. Best to call them, as most do not have enough spaces online.

Hi

Yes you do have many kinds of cruisers on the world.

Some travel just for the ship and rarely leave. They have been there got the t shirt and don't want to face the port officers (they can sometimes very very exacting). This group nearly always have a set pattern to their day same table at night and very little interaction with people only on for 1 sector.

2 The first timers on a cruise ship (yes some have never cruised before) and have rarely been outside their own country it is either a eye opening experience for them or they sit by themselves and after 2 weeks talk only of going home.

3 And lastly the group who make up the majority, who are great to be with out on the town most nights willing to try something new meet the locals talk to them and enjoy the privelege of sailing the high seas in such comfort.

We have always been very active on the ship and even if we have been to a port many times get off and have a coffee and a wander safe in the knowledge that home is only a bus ride away. We try to eat once a week on our own and the rest of the time with the wonderful companions we meet. Dont be afraid of rain checking people you will find that your 'dance card' fills up quickly and try again 115 days go so so fast

Lastly and most important are the crew. They are most helpful and caring people you could wish to meet. Get to know their names and say hello to them all.

Count every day for sunrise to sunset and if you can keep a small camera with you at all times the pictures should bring back memories for many many years.

best wishes

Joe

Did anyone mention giving your credit card company a listing of all the countries you will be visiting. Also ATM cards. We do this for 66 days too. Best to call them, as most do not have enough spaces online.

Thanks so much Geo3543! Excellent tip! We will definitely follow up on this! I appreciate your input! :)

Hi

Yes you do have many kinds of cruisers on the world.

Some travel just for the ship and rarely leave. They have been there got the t shirt and don't want to face the port officers (they can sometimes very very exacting). This group nearly always have a set pattern to their day same table at night and very little interaction with people only on for 1 sector.

2 The first timers on a cruise ship (yes some have never cruised before) and have rarely been outside their own country it is either a eye opening experience for them or they sit by themselves and after 2 weeks talk only of going home.

3 And lastly the group who make up the majority, who are great to be with out on the town most nights willing to try something new meet the locals talk to them and enjoy the privelege of sailing the high seas in such comfort.

We have always been very active on the ship and even if we have been to a port many times get off and have a coffee and a wander safe in the knowledge that home is only a bus ride away. We try to eat once a week on our own and the rest of the time with the wonderful companions we meet. Dont be afraid of rain checking people you will find that your 'dance card' fills up quickly and try again 115 days go so so fast

Lastly and most important are the crew. They are most helpful and caring people you could wish to meet. Get to know their names and say hello to them all.

Count every day for sunrise to sunset and if you can keep a small camera with you at all times the pictures should bring back memories for many many years.

best wishes

Joe

Thanks again Joe! Every time you add a new tidbit, I feel sorry that you won't be on the 2016 WC. I think you would be great fun! And an excellent resource! Take care! :)

Mysty - I suggest you research your own flights and tell your TA what you want rather than waiting for SS to come up with them. We frequently have preferences that SS doesn't initially consider, but after we present our "preferred" flights to them, they make it happen at a much lower price than we could have done ourselves.

Hi

Sorry but I don't know where you are flying from to Miami but ours are from London.

My flights were booked the day i made the deposit payment. If you login to my silversea and navigate to bookings and the click on details. About halfway down i see my flight details and the airline reference no with which I was able to go to the airline we site enter my feq flyer no. and book my seats.

Regards

Silver

Hi

Sorry but I don't know where you are flying from to Miami but ours are from London.

My flights were booked the day i made the deposit payment. If you login to my silversea and navigate to bookings and the click on details. About halfway down i see my flight details and the airline reference no with which I was able to go to the airline we site enter my feq flyer no. and book my seats.

Regards

Silver

Thanks Silver! We are flying from Canada and our flights are nowhere to be seen on My Silversea. I am a wee bit concerned. I appreciate your response!

• 2 weeks later...

Our flights have appeared on My Silversea. However, I can find no airline reservation reference numbers there. It's just the flight number city of departure, city of arrival and times of departure and arrival. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!