Ferry -Oslo/Copenhagen

We are thinking of taking the DFS ferry from Oslo to our cruise departure port of Copenhagen after a few days in Oslo, pre-cruise.

Has anyone ever taken it and what was your experience?

How is the duty free shop on board?

Any info would be helpful. Seems simper that getting to and from the airports for a short flight.

If have taken a mini cruise once from Copenhagen to Oslo and back and also one week on a internship once in 8th grade in school.

Both time has been on the Crown Seaways.

When I went on the mini cruise we had a inside cabin both on my internship they gave me an outside cabin so based solely on this I would book an outside cabin because you will appreciate the daylight, else the cabins have the same size.

If you want a little bit more luxury then go for the Commodore Deluxe cabins as they are more spacious, some are with a balcony and they have a special lounge area where the regular passengers aren't allowed in.

The restaurant offerings are on pair with most cruise ships specialty restaurants and are praised for their quality.

The ships are old (late 80'ies/start 90'ies) but are in a very good condition and went through a huge refurbishment a few years ago.

It is many years ago since my cruise or internship for that matter so I can't remember much of it but try to ask and I will try to find an answer.

I did exactly what you are doing, I.e. a few days in Oslo followed by ferry, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. We paid around $110 for an inside cabin--$60 of which was for dinner. Cheaper than a hotel room. The one issue we had was choppy seas, and the ship anchor would repeatedly bang up against the hull when we were trying to sleep. That bothered my SO's sleep more than it did mine. Also there is no ATM at the DFDS terminal, and you need to take the bus to the cruise terminal; who normally only take Danish kroner. There is a line to the taxis (who will accept cards, but of course charge more). The duty-free shop is very crowded, and the info desk suggested to us that you visit them on the morning of arrival. Much less crowded then.

Even more importantly, I should add WHY we did this itinerary: when researching flights into Copenhagen, I discovered they were connecting in Norway. So then I went back and looked up simply flying into Norway. Far cheaper, direct route. Do a self-guided tour in Norway, the ferry was effectively free (you are paying for hotel for the night anyway), huge plus.

The one issue we had was choppy seas, and the ship anchor would repeatedly bang up against the hull when we were trying to sleep.

Yeah in particular the part between Norway's south tip and Skagen (Denmark's north tip) can be quite choppy with westerly winds which are the most common for Skagerrak and Kattegatt.

However it is only a small part of the journey and with westerly winds Danish mainland will provide some cover once you get south of Skagen.