St Petersburg excursions

Jakanne1

Goodness, I thought I was on the P&O site for a minute :rolleyes::D

So did I, Linda!!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Suppose it depends on Mr. Putin, whether we get there or not, but there's no shortage of places to visit. Decisions will be made after more research. Love researching and planning for ports.....must be the ex-teacher in me....and I never gave out lines!! ;):D

We are also going to the Baltic in September, but on the Balmoral. It's our favourite Fred ship by the way.

Looking forward to it, but if i have to write lots of lines, I may have to miss some Ports of Call.........😄

Pondering over the three for two offer from Fred at the moment, it's a hard life..........🍹

We are also going to the Baltic in September, but on the Balmoral. It's our favourite Fred ship by the way.

Looking forward to it, but if i have to write lots of lines, I may have to miss some Ports of Call.........😄

Pondering over the three for two offer from Fred at the moment, it's a hard life..........🍹

I have just been reading about the three for two offer. Fred Olsen does appear to have some very interesting itineraries, too. This Baltic cruise will be our first with Fred. DH and I usually do a cruise and stay as a compromise as he prefers a hotel to a cramped cabin, so will be interesting to see how we cope with so many sea days. I just hope it is warm enough to sit out on deck. At least I should get some Adriatic sun and fun in May/June while on a cruise with girl friends.

Jakanne1, thanks for posting this. I have been mulling over the same questions for a little while. I had been told by a work colleague that we needed individual Visas if we wanted to get off the ship, other than on a Ship excursion.

Thank you also to the posters for the great links, to Alla Travel and to the 'what to do in port' list :)

We're thinking of taking this cruise with Fred next year. This cruise line has ideal embarkation ports for us. We live not too far from the Newcastle port and our dog minder (my daughter) lives in Manchester (easy for Liverpool). Rosyth is also probably only about 90 minutes from us. However, we have only sailed on Celebrity so far and we like the flashy ships. This is not to say that we won't enjoy the smaller ships, but two things concern me. Double beds seem to be in short supply on Fred and they look very expensive compaired to the larger lines (is it me, am I reading it wrong?). Nevertheless, they are the most sensible option for us to the Baltics.

Double beds seem to be in short supply on Fred ...

If you are going by the pictures on the website, many of the cabins that are shown with separate beds can be reconfigured to have a double instead, just make sure when booking that you check for this feature on your particular cabin.

That is often true, but some of Fred's cabins cannot be moved, especially ion Black Watch. We have booked a grade B and they are fixed beds there. So read what it says about the individual cabin. Cabins do seem a lot bigger with separate beds, especially the L shapped configuration, but L shape often means no bedside table for one bed.

Sorry Mark, you did say check, but I was surprised just how many cabins on Black Watch are fixed beds.

Edited by tring

Thanks Tring and Mark. I know they are old ships, but wouldn't you think they would have changed this by now, to give a choice in all or most cabins in keeping with their competitors? It must be an issue for lots of people surely?

• 1 month later...

Hia,

We used Alla in St Petersburg 4 years ago and they were spot on. On our experience I would recommend them, but we have also heard very good reports of other independent tour operators in SPB. Do your homework and you'll find an itinerary to suit.

The advantages of an independent operator are smaller groups on a minibus, at about 2/3rds the price of a ship's tour, against larger groups on a coach at a stack load money more.

Shipping lines will do their utmost to con you into one of their tours (or in our experience they did) by peddling misinformation and basically blatant lies about having to have a visa or use a ships tour.

Yes, if you want to see the place by yourselves, you need a visa. But there's nothing to stop you using an independent tour firm, and don't be bullied into waiting for all the ship's tours to depart before you get off.

St Petersburg is a magnificent place, and no matter who you go with you'll have a great time. But a bit a forward planning and you can save a bomb.

Enjoy yourselves folks!!

Regards,

Mr. H.

Ps....a ride on the Metro is a must if you can sort it. Also, get out on deck for the sail through the flood defences on departure. Very impressive. Plus you pass an island with a small former naval base on the starboard side. Worth seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay - I haven't read this entire thread but my OH and I recently did the Baltic with P&O.

We used Alla Tours and I have to say they were splendid. We booked the 2-day tour though were a trifle concerned about using a third party and not the ship's tours, the more so given the visa situation. I suppose we gleamed comfort from the fact that payment wasn't asked for, nor due until the start of the second day. In the event, the experience was very enjoyable - small group, private mini-bus, packed lunch, tour guide knowledgeable & friendly. Interestingly, we got to ride and see the underground system and a couple of stations (worth seeing), had a river cruise, and the timing of visits to the main sites was adjusted 'on the fly' so as to avoid major queues/busy periods etc. All for little more than a half-day shore trip with P&O.

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked our first Fred Cruise today (In the heart of the Baltic ) on Braemar, and we have been looking at the ship tours, and wondered what to do about St Petersburg because of the visa. Thanks for all the info on here. We will be looking at Alla Tours too. My husband walks with 2 sticks, but is ok for coach trips so should cope. Reckon we can do some DIY at the other ports.