Pullmantur Monarch Transatlantic 9/17/2016 Spain to Panama

dccruisin

• 2 weeks later...

HI, all. Time is getting close.

Is anyone getting off in Aruba and flying home on Sept. 30?

I would like to share transportation from the cruise terminal to the airport.

My flight is at 3:45 PM, so would be flexible with pick up time.

JOAN

HI, all. Time is getting close.

Is anyone getting off in Aruba and flying home on Sept. 30?

I would like to share transportation from Aruba cruise terminal to the airport.

My flight is at 3:45 PM so I would be flexible with departure time.

JOAN

My wife and I are booked on this trip (Bilbao to Colon). We have cruised many times but never with this cruise line and are a little apprehensive regarding the language barrier and some adverse comments regarding the ship. us Were both from UK but live in Cyprus at the moment , this cruise is the central part of our 50th celebration heading from Cyprus to Istanbul, Bilbao, Colon, Panama, New York, Las Vegas , then home. It would be great to meet up with some fellow passengers No strangers on this voyage ---- only friends we havent met as yet

My wife and I are booked on this trip (Bilbao to Colon). We have cruised many times but never with this cruise line and are a little apprehensive regarding the language barrier and some adverse comments regarding the ship. us Were both from UK but live in Cyprus at the moment , this cruise is the central part of our 50th celebration heading from Cyprus to Istanbul, Bilbao, Colon, Panama, New York, Las Vegas , then home. It would be great to meet up with some fellow passengers No strangers on this voyage ---- only friends we havent met as yet

Look forward to meeting you. I am from Wales and getting on in Lisbon. I don't think there will be a langusge problem as all announcements are made in English as well as Spanish and all staff speak English.

JoanB

Glad to see english speakers on this cruise. My wife and I are from Barboursville, WV and are flying out of Pittsburgh on Iberia on the 16th, arriving in Bilbao at 12:30 pm on the 17th. Iberia has a 90% on time record. Hoping that holds true for us.

Does anyone know if the cabs in Bilbao take credit cards? Not planning to get Euros. We were planning taking the Fatima tour in Portugal. Wondering if it is narrated in english.

Noticed someone mentioned a roll call. What is that? Also, requested an english speaking table (early seating).

We were also planning on taking the tour of Panama. Noticed one said would take you back to Colon. That's odd. The cruise is over. Would the ship still be there? How about our luggage? Can they drop us off at Panama City near our hotel or the airport?

Our flight is at 5 am on the 3rd (Avianca). Wondering where would be a good and inexpensive place to stay, with maybe a shuttle to the airport in the wee hours of the night?

Finally got all our transportation and hotels set up for the September trip.

We will arrive in Bilbao on Thursday evening the 15th. We are taking the TVG train from Paris to Bayonne and then buses from Bayonne to San Sebastian then a bus to Bilbao.

We are staying at the Begona in Bilbao. It is centrally located. Less than a mile walk to the Guggenheim and just across the bridge from the Casco Viejo section of town. That is the old city. Lots of touristy things. It is only 66 Euros a night on bookin.com and hotels.com. We will take the metro to near the port and probably a taxi from the metro. The Begona has bag storage so on departure day we will store our bags and continue being tourist until we go to the port. If anyone else stays at the Begona let us know.

We will be ready for sea days. We will have toured Iceland from Reykjavik, stopped in Geneva and Paris.

I whole heartedly suggest that people take some time in Panama when they arrive. (We live in Panama) However, I would NOT stay in Colon. If you have the time rent a car and travel a couple hours west of Panama City, the mountains are lovely (like Hawaii with waterfalls) and the beaches are nice. At least take transfer that does a city tour and the locks.

If you google port transfers there are several companies. We have used myfriendmario several times - http://www.bscpma.com/mfm/index.htm . They have great reviews on trip advisor. There are several other companies.

There are a lot of hotels in Panama City. If you want an American chain The Country Inn and Suites are reasonable. We have stayed several times at the Courtyard Marriott Multiplaza. It is attached to the Multiplaza mall that has a real nice movie complex and upscale stores. The Wyndham at Albrook Mall is attached the Albrook Mall which has over 700 stores. Has a huge breakfast buffet. Both malls have nice food courts and additional sit down restaurants and working carousels with wooden horses. I would not stay downtown. It is just a business district. There are some amazing and weird looking tall buildings though. If you google panama skyline (https://www.google.com/search?q=panama+skyline&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiD3rzPov7NAhXBCh4KHalfAUIQsAQIHQ&biw=1921&bih=947 ) You can see the glass building that is built like a corkscrew – just page down. Oh, and of course Trump Tower. It is the one that looks like a sail.

There aren’t many hotels that have a shuttle to the airport. If they do they are way out of the city by the airport. Make sure you agree on the taxi rate before getting in the taxi or make sure they have a meter.

Linda

Hi All

Is anyone besides me interested in a disembarkation tour to the locks (canal) a sightseeing tour (not too much heavy walking) and a airport hotel drop off?

I am staying at the Riande Airport Hotel and would like to be dropped off there or at a central location to get a cab to the hotel after the tour.

Anyone else interested?

I looked at My Friend Mario and they will sort of customize a tour for you.

If anyone is interested post a answer and I will contact them to inquire about pricing and times.

Have a great day will be looking forward to seeing everyone on the ship.

pat

murrells inlet, sc

PS I have a 11:46AM flight on the 3rd with Copa do I need to be at the airport 2 or 3 hours before the flight? Anyone familiar with the airport?

thanks

pat

Hi All

Is anyone besides me interested in a disembarkation tour to the locks (canal) a sightseeing tour (not too much heavy walking) and a airport hotel drop off?

I am staying at the Riande Airport Hotel and would like to be dropped off there or at a central location to get a cab to the hotel after the tour.

Anyone else interested?

If anyone is interested post a answer and I will contact them to inquire about pricing and times.

pat

murrells inlet, sc

PS I have a 11:46AM flight on the 3rd with Copa do I need to be at the airport 2 or 3 hours before the flight? Anyone familiar with the airport?

thanks

pat

Yes it is good to be there 2 to 3 hours before. They usually board 30 to 45 minutes before flight time. Make sure to do online check in and get your seats. When you get to the airport go to the web-check in line. You will probably see long line where people have not checked in online. So you can avoid the line.

Once past security there is a food court upstairs - airport food prices though and alot of stores to shop throughout the airport.

If you are headed to the US there will be a second security check at the gate. So allow time to go through the second security check. You will see lines forming at the gate with the gate waiting area roped off.

Once you are through that check if you leave the roped off gate area you have to go back through the gate security again.

Linda

Hi All

Anyone else interested?

pat

murrells inlet, sc

thanks

pat

Hi Pat

I am interested in doing a tour from the cruise port to Panama City. I have enquired with several companies. Mario seems the best, they quoted $60 per person for a tour to the rain forest, fort and locks expansion plus $10 to Panama City, so $70pp in total. Leave about 9.00am arrive about 4.00pm.

Roadrunne quoted $399 for 6, $66pp or $369 for 4, $92pp for thge same sort of tour.

Easy Travel $125pp and Barefoot Tours $110pp same sort of tour.

What we need to know is how many people are interested and what sort of places they want to visit and where they want to be dropped off in the city. ie the bus station or a big Mall where it would be easy to get a taxi to each hotel etc.

Let's get a list of all interested to start with. Maybe start a new thread, I don't know how to do that!!

JoanB

Hi Pat

I am interested in doing a tour from the cruise port to Panama City. I have enquired with several companies. Mario seems the best, they quoted $60 per person for a tour to the rain forest, fort and locks expansion plus $10 to Panama City, so $70pp in total. Leave about 9.00am arrive about 4.00pm.

Roadrunne quoted $399 for 6, $66pp or $369 for 4, $92pp for thge same sort of tour.

Easy Travel $125pp and Barefoot Tours $110pp same sort of tour.

What we need to know is how many people are interested and what sort of places they want to visit and where they want to be dropped off in the city. ie the bus station or a big Mall where it would be easy to get a taxi to each hotel etc.

Let's get a list of all interested to start with. Maybe start a new thread, I don't know how to do that!!

JoanB

Hi All

Anyone else besides Joan and myself interested in a debarcation tour (locks, highlights of the area) before being dropped off in Panama City?

If you are interested in sharing a Private excursion add your name to this list so we can arrange a pick-up at the ship and the tour and drop off.

Joan B

Pat Novak-Call

The more people who want to do this the cheaper per person it becomes.

I think My Friend Mario has the best reviews Google My Friend Mario to see his tour if you are interested.

See Everyone on the Ship

pat

• 2 weeks later...

I took the cruise May 28 from Cartagena, Columbia to Lisbon, my first Pullmantur cruise, and had a wonderful time. I expected that the drinks would be low grade and was very pleased that even Baileys is on the list. Even if you want something not on the included list, the premium you pay is $1 or $2 .

The food was good, be prepared that there are breaks between meals that the buffet is closed.

The later dining was actually nice. And the language (my lack of Spanish) was not a problem.

When I found out the ship returned to Central America in September I wanted to take it back but my original plans had me back in the states at the end of August. I just found out I don't need to be back then and was thrilled I could still book this cruise.

I'm looking forward to making many new friends.

Naomi Helton

I was on the crossing in May to Lisbon. This was my first Pullmantur cruise and it was GREAT!

Drinks from 10 am to 3:30 am! Almost all included a few premium names that cost $1 to $2 to upgrade. I was drinking Baileys and cola on the included list. Mojitos, pins coladas and tequila sunrises all included! At dinner in the dining room they pour red, white or rose wines.

Bars at the pool and the lounges, so enjoy!

Naomi

Thanks, for the help on smoking policy. I will keep an eye out for folks going on the May through September monarch cruises to see what they have to say.

I know that the concept of cheap airfare is different for everyone but for me the splurge to business class (with a lie flat seat) is one I value since it lets me be up and running when I arrive across the pond. I don't remember the cruise critic policy about posting things like this but I got a Lufthansa business class one way from Tampa to Frankfurt and then on to Bilbao for $2500. I used an online flight aggregator called alpha guru.

The one way coach flight from Panama City to Tampa on Copa was $283.

Also, I second the request for more info about the all-inclusive drink service. Is it only at meals? Only at meals in the main dining room?

Does anybody know if other packages are offered (for a fee, of course) that allow one to get soft drinks and or drinks at other times?

Thanks,

I took the cruise May 28 from Cartagena, Columbia to Lisbon, my first Pullmantur cruise, and had a wonderful time. I expected that the drinks would be low grade and was very pleased that even Baileys is on the list. Even if you want something not on the included list, the premium you pay is $1 or $2 .

The food was good, be prepared that there are breaks between meals that the buffet is closed.

The later dining was actually nice. And the language (my lack of Spanish) was not a problem.

When I found out the ship returned to Central America in September I wanted to take it back but my original plans had me back in the states at the end of August. I just found out I don't need to be back then and was thrilled I could still book this cruise.

Naomi Helton

What sort of cereals are served at breakfast? I ask this as I am diabetic and the ones in packets are ok as I can see the amount of sugar in them but those in dispensers which are on some cruises are more tricky.

I am interested in the trivia quizes, how were they?

Glad you enjoyed the trip I am looking forward to it and meeting you and everyone else on board. JoanB

I was on the crossing in May to Lisbon. This was my first Pullmantur cruise and it was GREAT!

Drinks from 10 am to 3:30 am! Almost all included a few premium names that cost $1 to $2 to upgrade. I was drinking Baileys and cola on the included list. Mojitos, pins coladas and tequila sunrises all included! At dinner in the dining room they pour red, white or rose wines.

Bars at the pool and the lounges, so enjoy!

Naomi

Hi

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. How were the evening shows? Strictly Spanish or a combination of Spanish and English?

Thanks for the information, also my first cruise on Pullmantur maybe not the last one.

Have a good day

pat

Naomi Helton

Thanks for the info Naomi.

I'm getting excited...leaving for Spain on Sep 4 and looking forward to Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Bilbao, and San Sebastian before boarding the ship.

Can't wait to meet the people who have been posting on CC.

Deb

Hi All

Anyone else besides Joan and myself interested in a debarcation tour (locks, highlights of the area) before being dropped off in Panama City?

If you are interested in sharing a Private excursion add your name to this list so we can arrange a pick-up at the ship and the tour and drop off.

Joan B

Pat Novak-Call

The more people who want to do this the cheaper per person it becomes.

I think My Friend Mario has the best reviews Google My Friend Mario to see his tour if you are interested.

See Everyone on the Ship

pat

I am interested in tagging along on this tour since I am also spending the night in Panama City before flying out on the 11:46am Copa flight to FLL on 3rd. Staying at Holiday Inn Express to use reward points,

Hi All

Do we know for sure if there are any 110 outlets in the cabins? Do I have to bring a voltage converter and adapters?

I know my tablet will need recharging.

Other than that I hope all are surviving this really strange summer.

Have a good week

pat

murrells inlet, sc

Hi All

Do we know for sure if there are any 110 outlets in the cabins? Do I have to bring a voltage converter and adapters?

I know my tablet will need recharging.

Other than that I hope all are surviving this really strange summer.

Have a good week

pat

murrells inlet, sc

In thecabin description on the Pullmantur site it just says 220V. As it is an ex RCL ship I would have thought it would have both, maybe it was refitted. JoanB

My wife and I would be interested in joining in with the group for a shore excursion from Colon with transfer to Panama City, to see Panama City and the locks, etc.

Also, asked my travel agent and he said the Monarch has both 220V and 110V.

--tom

Hi

I am travelling alone on the TA from Bilbao to Colon and would like to enquire if anyone would like to share the transfer from Colon cruise port to Panama City Airport. I have a 5.45pm flight out so will need to be at the airport no later than 2pm. I was looking a short tour from Colon port to Panama airport taking in a few magical sights. I know it is quick tour but I am sure it could be done as it would be sad not to at least take in some of the wonderful sights before leaving. I have been quote $154 by my friend mario. Please reply back if you would we interested.

Heyyyyy,

UK guy travelling alone jumping on at Lisbon - Colon! This cruise is the beginning of an 18 month backpacking adventure across Latin America!

Have been backpacking a few years now but my Spanish is still very minimal haha!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends/future travel-buddies onboard! :)

Dan

Wlhug and pat,

I also need transport to Panama City and I would also like to take a tour of the locks and highlights on the way. How are you each going about arranging this? Shall we meet up once aboard? Will there be a cruise critic party?

Kat