Does Costa hold your passport during the cruise

TNCruzer56

If the local law requires you to carry your passport, then they will send you a letter advising when to pick it up. I believe this is the case in Croatia. If I recall correctly, non-EU passports are then turned back in prior to the next EU port.

They keep your passport, even in Croatia, unless you specifically request to have it, which I did in Dubrovnik on my last cruise (I was considering going to Bosnia-Herzegovina - which is very close - but I later changed my mind). There was an exception: if you're on the Mediterranea and you go on the Medjugorje excursion in Split, you will need your passport because you will travel to Medjugorje by bus (which is in Bosnia-Herzegovina), spend the night there and rejoin the cruise in Kotor, Montenegro.

Yes, in Europe they hold it for the duration of the cruise and yes you have to surrender it when you embark (as soon as you physically get on the ship, someone takes your passport). They do that in hotels too, sometimes.

This may only apply to non-Schengen residents though, and only when traveling between Schengen countries and non-Schengen countries within Europe, but I'm not quite sure about that. I believe it has something to do with certain immigration requirements that would be way too difficult to meet for the ship if they didn't have all the passports in their possession at all times.

why do they hold your passport, do they have the right?

They have every right, this is done on behalf of immigration services in various countries. The ship & passengers are cleared en-block. Otherwise you would have to stand in line to get individual clearance to enter the county as in like entering USA.

As I mentioned before in this thread, you can ask to have it during the cruise (if you're planning on using it while docked) and I think they have to give it to you. I'm not sure what would happen if you refused to give it to them, or if you asked to have it back during the cruise without a specific reason.

As I mentioned before in this thread, you can ask to have it during the cruise (if you're planning on using it while docked) and I think they have to give it to you. I'm not sure what would happen if you refused to give it to them, or if you asked to have it back during the cruise without a specific reason.

I believe if you hold it you must be available at anytime to meet with any countries immigration officers when they clear the ship.

I don't understand why they hold your passports if your cruise is entirely within the Schengen area e.g.one that visits France, Spain and Italy. You clear immigration and border protection at the embarkation port's airport and you are then free to move between the Schengen area countries with out any checks - so if a ship as left Marseille and sails to Genoa - Italian border officials will not come on board - no more so than they would if you drove between the two countries.