Europe and Middle East 18 days Dec Costa

heylids

Hello, we have never been on a cruise and are thinking of the above cruise. It's on Costa Fortuna. What can you tell us about this ship, cruise, what to pack, weather. What are the costs, we aren't much alcohol drinkers but coffees and bottle water a must. We are on a tight budget so what cabins and where on the ship should we aim for. There are so many questions but I think you get the just of our situation. Thanks for the help!

Soooo excited about cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with the ship. Unless you have been traveling overseas in the past, especially in Italy, this cruise might be too much cultural shock for your 1st cruise. This is really an Italian cruise line. The food is Italian except for breakfast and the grille. Meaning, 5-6 courses meals for lunch and dinner with small portions (doesn't mean you can't order more). If you are a meat and potatoes person, this cruiseline is not for you. If you like seafood, this line may be for you. You can assume the vast majority of passengers will be Europeans with very few native english speaking passengers. Worst, a long cruise is not a good idea for a first cruise as some people have difficulty with sea days. Entertainment is not Costa's strong suit though if you like dancing, it may be one of the best cruiseline for that.

Some people go stir-crazy because of too many sea days with nothing to do.

If you are pretty good about relaxing and doing nothing, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, an advertised cruise price usually doesn't include taxes and port fees plus there is a daily tip that is not accounted for. Expect their free coffee to be like other cruiselines' coffee that is made from a liquid concentrate, not very good. Also, it is best to fly in a day or two before boarding. You don't want to miss your cruise ship.

Also, an advertised cruise price usually doesn't include taxes and port fees plus there is a daily tip that is not accounted for.

Costa cruise price is always inclusive of local taxes and port fees, what you have to pay additional is the "Service Charge" which is at €9 p.p.p.d.

Thank you... I've read mixed reviews about Costa Fortuna...

As is it better to pay for the tipping charges in advance and it sounds that a coffee plan might be need..?....do they give free water?? Am wondering if it will be cold this time of year?

Why would you pay the tipping charge in advance? If you have a credit card, let it get charged to your CC. If you are on a budget, better find out all the charges before booking as it is your 1st cruise. A cruise is very economical way of traveling but it is not as cheap as it appears, at least, compared to the advertised price of the cruise.

Costa has cards for espresso or cappuicinos/lattes where you may buy 20 drinks at a discounted rate. North American passengers may get free water at dinner and lunch.

I have been on Fortuna a lot of time ago, when it was the newest ship of the fleet so I can't tell you how the ship is now. Remember that, just before the departure of the cruise you are looking at, the ship will be 2 weeks in drydock for maintenance (and, I think, to make her a little bit more compliant to the Chinese market where she will go in April). The negative reviews I have read in Italy are about the poor maintenance of the ship but the drydock should fix this problem. I have travelled with Costa several times and I confirm that the passengers will be in the biggest part Europeans and that everything onboard is repeated in the main European languages (English included obviously). In that cruise there won't be many children so it should be more quiet than the biggest part of Costa Cruises