Current "Always Available" Menu in QM2 Britannia?

MarkBearSF

A question came up in our roll call about Britannia Club. I mentioned that there are always unlisted available items about which they may be more forthcoming in BC.

I recalled that the Britannia/Britannia Club "secret menu" was NY strip steak, chicken breast, and salmon. I also thought that caesar salad may always be available. Is there a veggie pasta item also?

What are the options that are always available?

Edited by MarkBearSF

Are not the always available dishes printed somewhere on each evening's menu? I know it is on other lines and I thought I remembered it on Cunard as well.

Shrimp cocktail (not my personal favourite).

Yes, the watery, flavourless prawns (shrimp) are something I always pass on.

Edited by Aussieflyer

A question came up in our roll call about Britannia Club. I mentioned that there are always unlisted available items about which they may be more forthcoming in BC.

I recalled that the Britannia/Britannia Club "secret menu" was NY strip steak, chicken breast, and salmon. I also thought that caesar salad may always be available. Is there a veggie pasta item also?

Yes all the options that you have listed above are 'Always' available in the evenings in the Britannia main dining room. Although they are 'not' listed' ( or even made known by the wait staff) most seasoned Cunard guests are aware.

Vegetarian pasta is also available , this often appears on the special vegetarian menu, however, one would need to contact the station head waiter and make a request for it, or pre order for the following evening. (to make a request for a meal from the vegetarian menu, non vegetarian guests are permitted to view or even make a selection from the veg menu)

Always wise to cultivate a relationship and interact with our wait staff immediately on the first evening in the restaurant . Use their name- they wear a name badge. Always works for me, never had a problem ( within reason) if I fancy a different meal than what is offered on the evening menu.;)

Regarding Britannia Club, there is no "secret menu." There is an à la carte menu listing a choice of starters, main courses and desserts. On my recent voyage it was available every night. This is one aspect of BC that was superior to the Grills. My experience in both Princess and Queen's Grills is that the à la carte menu is not presented every night, such as the evening of the Grills drinks party. The last time I was in PG that extra menu was not available on two of the seven nights.

On our cruise in BC, the maître d' offered a flambéed dessert on a couple of nights when it was not listed on the menu. I got the impression that special requests would be granted, although no-one at our large table made any.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

I once asked for a steak on the QM2 in Britannia as there was nothing I liked the look of on the night's menu and our waiter flatly refused. He was however most concerned that I should have something off the menu I liked and did suggested something that actually turned out to be rather good, and even came back more than once to make sure I was happy.

But as far as letting me order a steak, he was having none of it.

I once asked for a steak on the QM2 in Britannia as there was nothing I liked the look of on the night's menu and our waiter flatly refused. He was however most concerned that I should have something off the menu I liked and did suggested something that actually turned out to be rather good, and even came back more than once to make sure I was happy.

But as far as letting me order a steak, he was having none of it.

Dinner in the MDR on a QM2 4th of July cruise several years ago...

Nothing on the menu appealed to me and my husband. I remembered reading on this forum that one could order a steak off menu. I asked the waiter if it was possible to order a steak and whatever potato and vegetable was available. He replied: "Madame, this is the Queen Mary 2. Anything is possible!" Hurriedly he turned and walked towards the kitchen. I thought I had really pushed the limit by my request...but a few minutes later, he returned.

We were served an exceptionally good steak, nicely done veggies and (if I remember correctly) roasted potatoes.

Perhaps there are times where some off-menu items are not so great and the server might try delicately to suggest something else?

I hate to take up the waiter's time with questions when ordering, but I have found that they are very knowledgeable and helpful, and following their guidance has not left me disappointed. :)