Tips for leaving out of San Juan? Kid/special need questions

MikeJess07

We are getting to San Juan the afternoon prior to sailing. Any tips or tricks for us. I've seen a lot about Port Canaveral but I'm curious if there is anything different about San Juan? We are staying by port. Anything we should try and squeeze in the morning of?

Please remind me of things I should pack for a cruise. i.e. Hangers, power strip, etc

This is our first time taking kids. Our oldest is 7 and autistic, middle is 4 and our youngest is 6 months. Debating on taking a double side by side stroller or tandem sit & stand. I think it may be over kill though. Anyway any tips for what to bring for the kids or for special need kiddos?

Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated!

Sounds to me like you need to start with the "what is not allowed" list. Power strips are not permitted. If you need one for medical purposes, you can place a deposit with Guest Services and get one that has been safety inspected for use on the ship; the deposit is refunded when the item is returned.

Hangers--why? Your host will happily supply all you need. There is actually very little you need to bring beyond your clothing and toiletries unless you need medical items for the kids. Obviously you will need diapers and whatever your infant consumes.

The kids might enjoy the forts in San Juan.

As to the stroller(s)--bring a small umbrella stroller for the baby. This is nice because you can take him to dinner in it and if he falls asleep, no worries. As to a big stroller, you won't need it on the ship for a 4 year old who can walk. If you need one for an excursion, same deal--place deposit, get big stroller from GS. Deposit refunded when stroller returned. Please remember that you need to keep what you bring inside your cabin. If it won't collapse and fit in your closet, in the bathtub, or under the bed, don't bring it. Parking strollers in the halls interferes with the host's carts and especially with mobility impaired people trying to navigate the halls with wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

As to the terminal at San Juan, DCL does all it can to make the various terminals around the world work as much like Port Canaveral as possible. They often aren't pretty (they are old warehouses), but the check in and boarding works the same as PC.

Edited by moki'smommy

Sounds to me like you need to start with the "what is not allowed" list. Power strips are not permitted. If you need one for medical purposes' date=' you can place a deposit with Guest Services and get one that has been safety inspected for use on the ship; the deposit is refunded when the item is returned.

Hangers--why? Your host will happily supply all you need. There is actually very little you need to bring beyond your clothing and toiletries unless you need medical items for the kids. Obviously you will need diapers and whatever your infant consumes.

The kids might enjoy the forts in San Juan.

As to the stroller(s)--bring a small umbrella stroller for the baby. This is nice because you can take him to dinner in it and if he falls asleep, no worries. As to a big stroller, you won't need it on the ship for a 4 year old who can walk. If you need one for an excursion, same deal--place deposit, get big stroller from GS. Deposit refunded when stroller returned. Please remember that you need to keep what you bring inside your cabin. If it won't collapse and fit in your closet, in the bathtub, or under the bed, don't bring it. Parking strollers in the halls interferes with the host's carts and especially with mobility impaired people trying to navigate the halls with wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

As to the terminal at San Juan, DCL does all it can to make the various terminals around the world work as much like Port Canaveral as possible. They often aren't pretty (they are old warehouses), but the check in and boarding works the same as PC.[/quote']

We have always bought power strips with us because there are never enough outlets. Is this a Disney rule or all cruise lines? Do I need to request one prior to leaving or can I do so onboard? We are bringing medical equipment.

As far as the hangers, some people on the boards have recommended bringing extra.

I was unaware Disney offered double strollers for excursions. How nice of them!

I also understand etiquette and would not leave my stroller purposely blocking halls or any other areas. I'm also aware that everything I take needs to fit in my stateroom. That's why I was asking questions. I am trying to plan accordingly since it's our first time taking our children.

If you read the "what to bring" lists, they are crazy (my opinion only). Yes, people have recommended hangers. Early on, there would be maybe 6 hangers on the rod in the room and the host would bring wire hangers if you asked for more. Now there are more like 30 wooden ones in the closet on arrival and he will bring even more if requested.

MOST of the available strollers at GS are single, but they start out with a few doubles. The trick there is to get one early. At Castaway Cay, there are also wagons which work really well. However, you can't take a stroller or wagon on the tram...so if you use one, you'll be walking. Alternatively, you can use the tram and walk a shorter distance.

There are some multi plug things that are not surge protectors. They are allowed. But the extension cord type power strips are not allowed. Yes, you can request one after boarding or complete the "special services" form in advance. This is the same form you'd use to notify DCL of any special food needs, allergies, etc.

I truly didn't mean to offend with my remarks about keeping strollers in the room. I have a disabled daughter, and on DCL the HA staterooms are at the farthest forward and aft areas of the ship. That can be a lot of hall to traverse using a walker or wheelchair when dodging around "stuff" that may be out in the halls. The host carts aren't usually a problem as they move the cart as soon as they see her.

OK, my best "travel with kids" hint: Get some zip lock type bags, large size. Pack one complete outfit (include underwear and socks) in the bag, squish the air out, and toss into suitcase. Pack one bag for each kid/each day of the cruise. When you arrive, the bags come out of the suitcase and into drawer. Each morning, each child can pick one of their bags to wear. This makes mornings really easy and prevents the last 2 days of "nothing matches." You'll also pack swimsuits, PJs, etc. At the end of the day, things that can't be worn again go into the laundry bag/suitcase/whatever you bring and the things that could be worn again go to a different drawer to serve as a "just in case." Of course, DCL has self serve laundry facilities--$2 to wash, $2 to dry, $1 for products (or bring your own) should an untoward event occur. You may have days when they are in swimsuits all day, but there are also days when they don't hit the pools.

This should never be a problem--you must give a date of birth for each person at the time of booking. The computer will quickly calculate the birthdate with the embarkation date. If an infant is not fully 6 months old, they SHOULD not be allowed to book. However, here's the kicker: The computer will calculate 180 days, not calendar months. At boarding, they want to see fully 6 MONTHS (like a March 2 birthday must have at least a September 2 embarkation date)...which could be +/- 2 days depending on the months involved. Oh what fun.

We have always bought power strips with us because there are never enough outlets. Is this a Disney rule or all cruise lines? Do I need to request one prior to leaving or can I do so onboard? We are bringing medical equipment.

It's an industry-wide standard.

The floating 120VAC system on ships can cause problems with the spike protection circuitry in power strips causing them to overheat.

The way around it is to bring a block type device that doesn't have any surge/spike protection.

We have never had issues with not having enough power outlets, but we do use a multiple port charger for the electronics. So being able to charge all the phones, tablets, fitness watch ect from 1 outlet is convenient. Many of the multiple port chargers list "surge protection" but it is not the type that causes issues on the ships.

We normally took the Bob stroller with us and would store it under the bed ( each wheel comes off with a single lever) and would carry the baby around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk