Tech Tip: Press Reader

Ubiquiti

See the attached PDF file for the instructions on how to download newspapers for free to your iOS (Apple) or Android device while on board.

The Trap For Young Players (Well ... it got me anyway) is that the instructions (1,2,3,4) do not work until you follow the highlighted (by me) instructions to "Download the Press Reader App" first. The issue here is that you need to pay to be online to get the App.

So ... download the app BEFORE you get onboard ... then your online newspapers (and other publications) are free. I have Android devices - so just went to the Play Store, and searched for Pressreader, and installed the app. I am sure it would be similar for the iOS (Apple) devices.

;)

PressReader.pdf

Edited by Ubiquiti

More on PressReader:

Here is how it works on-board:

• Seabourn appears to have a PressReader subscription
  • PressReader has a truly vast catalog of newspapers and magazines in their catalog. (5424 publications as I write this)
  • Publications from that catalog are downloaded over the satellite link to a server (computer) on-board
  • Guests are given free access over WiFi to that on-board server

But:

• To conserve expensive satellite bandwidth, only SOME of the vast PressReader catalog is normally downloaded
  • The others are available ON REQUEST. That is: you have to contact Guest Services and request they download that publication sometime later that day/night.

But - how do you know what else is available?

1. Go to Seabourn Square, look at the last page of any of the printed newspapers, and see a pretty complete list of available newspapers, or
  2. Go to http://www.pressreader.com/catalog and see their full catalog of both newspapers and magazines.

Example - Australian Newspapers

• Seabourn routinely downloads only 1 Australian Newspaper
  • PressReader has 167 Australian newspapers available

Edited by Ubiquiti

Dummy question but you say get the app before to avoid paying for online on board but don't you also need to be online to get the papers from the seabourn server and isn't this a lengthy process?

As Ubiquiti says in the post right above yours, you get free local wifi access to download the papers which the ship has already downloaded. So no you don't need to be online and thus you don't really care how long it takes. This actually sounds like a much better service than the printers which never worked very well, or very often.

Also, if you have press reader on your device, double check that it is the most up to date version; even consider uninstalling and reinstalling. I was on another cruise line a few months ago and found out the version I had from a prior trip didn't work with their system. And I'm pretty religious about updating apps. I had to burn wifi minutes to download anew.

See the attached PDF file for the instructions on how to download newspapers for free to your iOS (Apple) or Android device while on board.

The Trap For Young Players (Well ... it got me anyway) is that the instructions (1,2,3,4) do not work until you follow the highlighted (by me) instructions to "Download the Press Reader App" first. The issue here is that you need to pay to be online to get the App.

So ... download the app BEFORE you get onboard ... then your online newspapers (and other publications) are free. I have Android devices - so just went to the Play Store, and searched for Pressreader, and installed the app. I am sure it would be similar for the iOS (Apple) devices.

;)