Coki Beach

Wildgrits

I just wanted to add my experience to the board.

This was our third visit to St Thomas. In the past we have done Magen's Bay and Sapphire Beach.

Magen's Bay is a lovely place with calm water. IMHO Magen's Bay is the place to go if you have little ones.

Sapphire Beach is in desperate need of some TLC.

In the past I have shied away from Coki Beach because it looks like a shanty town and is a bit intimidating to me. But I heard that the snorkeling was really good and I got a Ninja mask for Christmas so I decided we would give it a go.

I find the price of taxis to be a bit expensive so we decided to give the Safari Bus a try. At $2 a person as oppose to $20 a person each way, it was worth he walk.

So we walked up to the K-mart and waited for one with some locals. It stopped and I asked the driver if she would be going near Coki Beach. She said she wasn't going to the beach but thru Coki Point and that we could walk from there. She was great. When we got to Coki point she let us know and we got out. It's a bit of a walk up hill but so worth the $70's we just saved.

Coki Beach. You know you have arrived when you see the cemetery. IT did not disappoint. The place was really nice. We set ourselves up with Miss Rochelle, no chairs for us as we will be in the water most of the time, and she kept the others away.

Snorkeling!!!!! Let me just say, this was the BEST snorkeling we have ever done. No we are not seasoned snorkeling folks, but if you want to snorkel and you will be in St Thomas, do not miss this beach. We brought some dog biscuits and loved watching all the Sargent fish and Needlefish going nutz over them.

Ninja Mask. If you are in the market for new snorkel gear, I cannot say enough about these. We didn't buy the expensive ones. I think my mask and flippers cost $65 on Amazon. They worked without issue the whole trip.

We had a great experience at Coki Beach last week. After our excursion was canceled due to rough seas (we were supposed to go to St. John, Trunk Bay), we took a taxi to Coki Beach. They were very organized and we were assigned to Dana (I think) at the beach. She kept us informed, let us know when our driver was back to get us, and served beverages/snacks. Our driver back to the ship showed up a little bit early, but waited until our group from the ship (6 total) was all there and ready to go. We made it back with plenty of time to spare and went shopping before getting back on the ship.

The beach was not crowded at all and we enjoyed it very much! The beach was gorgeous! My husband enjoyed the snorkeling :)

The cab fare is $9-12 per person each way. The walk is 1/2 mile that includes a hill.

Sapphire BEACH does not need tlc - some of the buildings at the beach do.

Coki can get very crowded for a VI beach.

Yes, you are correct, I misspoke. It would have been roughly $20 round trip per person.

And yes, I already stated "It's a bit of a walk up hill but so worth the $70's we just saved."

I repeat: PLEASE do not feed the fish dog biscuits! It is not a natural food source for them, it interferes with the ecosystem, and it brings up predator fish.

Thank you.

While you are correct that Milk Bone is not in their normal diet, what would you suggest people bring to feed the fish?

I have seen crackers, cereal, bananas........without an alternative, folks can only rely on what they already do.