Frustrated and Stressed with Viking's flight reservations

Compass Rose Monica

Lots of good info on the airfare. I have one question do you get to select your own seat on the plane and can you upgrade?

I agree with pinotlover. The airline you're flying on may make a big difference. We recently booked a cruise with Avalon that included air. We were ticketed through Air France, but 3 of the 4 flights were on Delta aircraft. Our original booking said something like "seats assigned at airport." Once the flights were actually ticketed, we were able to go on line at both the Air France and Delta sites and pick seats including upgrades to Delta's Comfort+ and Air France seats "close to the front." Our travel agent told us that in her experience, this was pretty typical of those lines. She said that her experiences with Lufthansa, were that it was very difficult/expensive to get seats assigned before check-in.

The answer to your question depends upon:

1. Which airline your flight was booked with;

2. Do you have any status with the airline you are booked on; and

3. Which fare category did you get booked on.

I can tell you from experience, that upgrading from the bulk ticket categories to either true PE ( read again true PE ,not the American carriers fake version thereof) or to BC can be unrealistically expensive. The question might be found in #2 above. However, I have seen Golds with regular economy tickets get upgrades before Platinums flying on bulk rate tickets. Ticket classifications matter!

There is no one size fits all answer to your question!

I haven't booked yet I'm just trying to see which is the better way to go. Viking air or do it myself. I fly Delta all the time so I would be going with them.