Back to back on Dawn

CruiserCindy

Have done the B2B but flew into Boston - NO car to worry about.

That noted are you arriving a day early and staying in a hotel ?

Consider that the hotel may allow your car parking for being its guest.

You only need to worry about transportation from/to the ship where

your car is parked.

I believe that I have read here at CC that pier parking is close by.

Don't have an estimate of the daily weekly long term charges.

Our CC readers will be along shortly to offer other suggestions.

Enjoy your fall cruise - mine was 5 Star Perfect !

Has any one done a back to back on the Dawn out of Boston? I am wondering about parking for 2 week at the pier.Also how it is handled on turn around day. We are doing Boston to Quebec,and Quebec back t Boston.

Thanks Cindy

We just returned from the 8/25 cruise. The parking attendant asks whether you're cruising, takes your payment, then gives you a ticket to place on your dash. Just tell him you're cruising for 14 days. He will charge you for 2 weeks and give you a ticket (and paper receipt) that confirms you've paid for the extra week. No problem. ($20/day)

Note: this is regarding the surface parking at the bow of the ship. If you end up in the garage across the street, I believe it's handled like any parking garage. You take a ticket going in, then pay the correct amount on your way out.

Edited by cruiser1955a

Has any one done a back to back on the Dawn out of Boston? I am wondering about parking for 2 week at the pier.Also how it is handled on turn around day. We are doing Boston to Quebec,and Quebec back t Boston.

Thanks Cindy

As for turnaround day you will have to clear ship as this is normal procedure it could take 20 min. to an hour. If you have same cabin you leave all your stuff. As for customs I don't know if you have to clear in between as we've only ever done b2b in Caribbean.

As for turnaround day you will have to clear ship as this is normal procedure it could take 20 min. to an hour. If you have same cabin you leave all your stuff. As for customs I don't know if you have to clear in between as we've only ever done b2b in Caribbean.

TURN-AROUND-DAY

You are referring to the port stop at Quebec City ?

If you cabin remains the same then leave everything in place.

If not check with the Guest Relations desk for further instructions -

You luggage and gear remains on board and will be moved by your Cabin Steward to the new cabin quarters.

Generally you are required to leave the ship briefly or longer to do a "Zero Headcount".

You will be given a INTRANSIT pass to re-board the ship just like any other port call.

No need to go thru registration and that sort of stuff. You will still need to pass thru ships security.

Briefly or longer maybe only a few minutes to perhaps a couple of hours.

In re-boarding you do not have to que up in line - just board when the first boarding call is made.

If you are out taking in a Shore Excursion (SX) or just wandering around on your own self-guided tour

board the ship at your leisure when you return - no bucking the line but board with whoever is in the gangway.

If you stateroom stayed the same you do not have to do anything to make yourself at home.

If the stateroom changed you will of course have to rehang your clothes; unpack your luggage that was

transferred from your old cabin and put things away like the first time you went on board.

CBI (Customs Border Immigration)

Usually on this B2B sequence you clear CBI at the first USA port before disembarking at Boston.

In my case last year it was Bar Harbor.

Everyone on board must go thru the CBI check point - a mere formality taking a few minutes - then those

with SX or other activities are free to go ashore and return to the ship as normal.

BIG NOTE HOWEVER

If you purchased duty free items or other goods of value you must fill out the Customs Declaration Form and

leave it with an official at BOSTON upon disembarking. How the payment is made for items of valuation

perhaps one of CC members who has done this can elaborate. You still fill out the form if there is nothing to

declare.

One curious note - at Boston

If your footwear are flip-flops or of a safety concern you will be required to use an elevator to disembark the

gangway platform causing a delay in your rush to leave the ship.

The final egress to street level is a sloping escalator that is the safety hazard concern.

My traveling companion had to use the elevator with others and handicap (wheelchair) needs folks

causing a short delay in exiting the Pier to go to the airport. The elevator can only handle so many riders

at one time therefore the delay.

PARKING

You still need more information and options here - readers please & thanks !

We just returned from the 8/25 cruise. The parking attendant asks whether you're cruising, takes your payment, then gives you a ticket to place on your dash. Just tell him you're cruising for 14 days. He will charge you for 2 weeks and give you a ticket (and paper receipt) that confirms you've paid for the extra week. No problem. ($20/day)

Note: this is regarding the surface parking at the bow of the ship. If you end up in the garage across the street, I believe it's handled like any parking garage. You take a ticket going in, then pay the correct amount on your way out.

Thanks,yes we drive and park at the pier.We need handicap parking a we are bring 2 scooters. What did you need to do on ship on turnaround day?Thanks again

Thanks we to have done b2b before on another line ,but not NCL.WE have to change cabins,hopefully cabin steward can help us. Thanks again

Thanks Cindy

We've parked at Boston. I do have to say i was a little concerned before our trip. They directed us toward this unpaved, almost field feeling fenced yard and bussed us to the terminal. (That was 4 years ago, not sure if things are the same now). It was a rather confusing set up to find the location to park. They had signs all over, but when you followed them it lead to you dead ends.

When we returned back from our cruise everything was fine, so my worry was needless.

Thanks we to have done b2b before on another line ,but not NCL.WE have to change cabins,hopefully cabin steward can help us. Thanks again

Changing cabins - OK - the only problem is packing your luggage again to move it to your

new cabin. Guest Reservations will provide you with a new Key Card for your On Board

Account and access to the new cabin. Your Cabin Steward will move your packed luggage

to your new cabin. Coordinate with him/her to make this happen - remember all the little

things that went into your carry on bag bathroom toiletries - electronics in the cabin - and

stuff in the SAFE and other goodies perks bottles of bubbly.

DO NOT put your luggage out the night before that is for a different disembarking situation.

Have more questions - ask away ?

One thing - you know the cabin number on the first leg of the B2B - what is the cabin number

on the 2nd leg ? If close by you may very well have the same cabin steward for both.

As noted the only problem is the packing of luggage for an efficient move.

Keep in mind that you have to vacate your old cabin timely (not rushed) for NCL to clean it

up and make it available to the next cruiser and the cabin you are moving to needs to be

made ready/clean for your use. You may not be able to unpack your stuff till later as a result.

If having a day on shore in port planned you might have your schedule inhibited a bit but

you don't have to worry about taking all your gear off the ship and bringing it back on.

Hopefully your new cabin is a better class of cabin and worth the effort.

Good Luck !

Changing cabins - OK - the only problem is packing your luggage again to move it to your

new cabin. Guest Reservations will provide you with a new Key Card for your On Board

Account and access to the new cabin. Your Cabin Steward will move your packed luggage

to your new cabin. Coordinate with him/her to make this happen - remember all the little

things that went into your carry on bag bathroom toiletries - electronics in the cabin - and

stuff in the SAFE and other goodies perks bottles of bubbly.

DO NOT put your luggage out the night before that is for a different disembarking situation.

Have more questions - ask away ?

One thing - you know the cabin number on the first leg of the B2B - what is the cabin number

on the 2nd leg ? If close by you may very well have the same cabin steward for both.

As noted the only problem is the packing of luggage for an efficient move.

Keep in mind that you have to vacate your old cabin timely (not rushed) for NCL to clean it

up and make it available to the next cruiser and the cabin you are moving to needs to be

made ready/clean for your use. You may not be able to unpack your stuff till later as a result.

If having a day on shore in port planned you might have your schedule inhibited a bit but

you don't have to worry about taking all your gear off the ship and bringing it back on.

Hopefully your new cabin is a better class of cabin and worth the effort.

Good Luck !

No we have to change cabins to another deck. We were lucky to get 2 handicap cabins for this cruise.Thanks for everyones help!!!