Currency advice New Caledonia, vanuatu and Fiji

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:47 PM.
2 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
We will be cruising to the following Islands next month, can any please offer advice on whether we will need local currency on any of the islands or whether we will get away with AUS Dollars?

Noumea
Mystery Island, Vanuatu
Vila, Vanuatu
Mare, New Caledonia
Isles of Pines, New caledonia
Lautoka, Fiji

Many Thanks
Romsey England
11,248 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Aussie dollars are fine for all your ports in Vanuatu and New Caledonia. We only needed local shrapnel for a little museum in Noumea but we sorted that with change from a coffee stop

Don't know about Fiji - our Princess ship didn't get there.
But that's another matter

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
Brisbane, Australia
717 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
While most places in the tourist areas take Aus $ I try to take local currency so locals do not have to pay exchange rates. Buy before you go at bank or online, use an ATM at port to get a small amount, depending on your cruise line you may be able to get local currency on board,
Think of me trying to pay your local cab driver in England? with Aussie dollars, happy chappie maybe not.
Most places take credit cards but try and get some local currency, part of the experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2011 Celebrity Infinity - South America & Antarctica
2011 P&O Sun, Fremantle to Sydney
2012 Pacific Dawn - South Pacific
2013 Diamond Princess, Beijing to Bangkok
2013 Pacific Pearl South Pacific
2014 MSC Orchestra and Preziosa - Mediterranean
2014 Sea Princess - Papua New Guinea
2015 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South East Asia
2015 Victoria Lianna - Yangtze River Cruise
2015 Diamond Princess Japanese Cruise
2016 Regal Princess - Baltics
2,983 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by Gwendy
While most places in the tourist areas take Aus $ I try to take local currency so locals do not have to pay exchange rates. Buy before you go at bank or online, use an ATM at port to get a small amount, depending on your cruise line you may be able to get local currency on board,
Think of me trying to pay your local cab driver in England? with Aussie dollars, happy chappie maybe not.
Most places take credit cards but try and get some local currency, part of the experience.
I'm pretty sure that any shopkeeper, restaurateur or taxi driver who takes foreign currency factors in a very healthy exchange rate for themselves when they they quote you a price! I can't imagine they'd take a loss just to be kind to tourists. So if I end up using AUS $ in New Caledonia, I will feel comfortable that it's me and not the shopkeeper who is taking the hit.