Considering the Deliziosa out of Florida

RMS Olympic

I would like to know thoughts on this ship sailing out of Ft Lauderdale in either late Feb or early March. I would like to hear what the experience would be like.

Are the passengers primarily non US cruisers?

Would the ship be full due to European specials?

Are there normally lots of children on board and if so does it have any impact on public rooms, use of the pool or dining room atmosphere?

Since the cruises are 10 days, is the average age older and therefore perhaps a quieter ship?

Are service standards equivalent to other mass market ships sailing in the Caribbean?

If choosing a balcony cabin, does the selection of classic or premium have much difference except for the deck level on this class of ship?

Although reading reviews can sometime provide answers to questions, particular tastes often flavor what is written...so specific examples would help regardless of positive or negative opinions.

On the Wind Star boards someone wrote their cruise was great, food great, crew great, ports great...but they would never sail that line again....why? because the internet service stunk.

So I am not looking for internet service.......bar service and dinning service yes. Even average food if served nicely can make my meal.

So general thoughts on Costa out of Florida would be greatly appreciated. Its been years since I sailed this line and have no idea what to expect. I sailed their competition last year (MSC Divina) and found I got what I paid for and will leave it at that.

Thanks in advance.

I sailed the Costa Mediterranea out of Miami earlier this year and can only compare it to the Emerald Princess which I sailed in 2014 from Ft Lauderdale.

Costa had about 600 Italians, 700 French, 200 Germans, 200 British, 300 Americans and Canadians and some Asians and Brazilians on board. It will be different on Deliziosa, because the Mediterranea let also people embark in Gouadeloupe, where all the french passengers came. If i get it right, Deliziosa will only have the american homeport.

There were a lot of children, as there were french winter holidays, but they were busy in the kids clubs and most had good manners. Costa security tried hard to remind them that the hot tubs are only for grown ups.

The atmosphere was as great as on Princess, and i think you have similar possibilities to find calm or crowded areas. People were younger on Costa, many honeymooners. The main difference is that when you start a conversation, you never know in which language your neighbour will answer ;). Animation is kept simple, very music biased and explained in 3-5 languages (of course in english).

The only european special I can think of were some Italian tenors in the theater. And of course the action in the main dining room at formal nights, dancing waiters and the presentation of the F&B officers. I love it!

Crew and staff are as fantastic as everywhere. If you wanna be pampered, Princess is the better choice, like they give you some cloth to wash your hands after the land trip etc, Costa would never do that. I didn't notice any differences in the bar and restaurant service or the cabin and cleaning service. I never needed the front desk, so no chance to compare.

A for the cabin, i am ok with classic cabins. With a premium cabin, you can chose your seating, but it is also possible to ask for a change if you are classic and unhappy with your table. The fruit basket is nice, but well, it's just fruits. If you decide to be loyal to Costa, you get a discount on your next premium booking, then it's worth calculating.

All in all, i paid much! less for Costa, and preferred a little the quality of the Princess product. So the overall experience is different and also depends on your expectations and priorities.

Deliziosa is a smaller (Panamax), Vista class ship. Entertainment and lounges MUCH better than Divina. The animation staff works hard to keep evenings lively. Dancing environment is better than any other ship I know of, if they bring Trio Tringali and Duo Contatto back this year, they're the best I've heard on a cruise ship in a decade. The evening meal options I consider to be the weakest part of Costa's product, there aren't many choices except the MDR, but I've always found something I liked on the menu, never gone hungry. Service levels and staffing were about the same as my last times on Princess and Holland America. If you book with Costa USA you get "waterusa" package. Passenger mix probably much the same as Divina, an older market, probably not too many children. I don't think Costa offers many family specials for this market.

I'll be on Deliziosa twice this winter (with a group) and staying on TA. I wouldn't do that on Divina.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Deliziosa is a smaller (Panamax), Vista class ship. Entertainment and lounges MUCH better than Divina. The animation staff works hard to keep evenings lively. Dancing environment is better than any other ship I know of, if they bring Trio Tringali and Duo Contatto back this year, they're the best I've heard on a cruise ship in a decade. The evening meal options I consider to be the weakest part of Costa's product, there aren't many choices except the MDR, but I've always found something I liked on the menu, never gone hungry. Service levels and staffing were about the same as my last times on Princess and Holland America. If you book with Costa USA you get "waterusa" package. Passenger mix probably much the same as Divina, an older market, probably not too many children. I don't think Costa offers many family specials for this market.

I'll be on Deliziosa twice this winter (with a group) and staying on TA. I wouldn't do that on Divina.

There could be more children if you book your cruise during European or certain Countries Holidays.

The European market really uses the kids sail free options lot so when I have sailed the Deliziosa I've noticed 25-50+ children.

I'll be on her again in January 2016.

Dancer Bob is right on about the entertainers he listed. Dou Contatto being my favorite.