mickey mouse at embarkation?

CanuckonaBoat

In a previous post someone mentioned that you can take photos with Mickey Mouse in the embarkation lounge....before you board the ship.

Is this something that always happens? Or just sometimes? We will be on the Wonder this summer.

I am asking because I want to prepare my daughter to see characters ahead of time so that she won't be shy/scared.

Edited by CanuckonaBoat
new info added!

It depends...perhaps on how embarkation/waiting is going or what the characters are doing.

Yes, characters briefly come into the terminal. We've seen Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Chip, and Dale for sure. They are by the model of the original configuration of the Magic. They are typically mobbed when they come out and there is no reason to get anywhere near them. Honestly, this is not a good time for a character visit--too many people, too little time. Wonder in Alaska....I don't remember seeing characters. But then, I've been on lots of cruises where they came out and lots where I didn't see them. Since we are platinum, we are typically there when the terminal opens, so not seeing them usually means they didn't show up!

Edited by moki'smommy

They usually come out into the open check in area. I am always in the pre board lounge and I have never seen them come into that area. It's a bit of a mess. It's neat to get your first glimpse at "Disney" but I personally wouldnt try to deal with the hords of people trying to get their kids/family in their for photos. Its much more organized once on the ship and you will have plenty of opportunity onboard to get those photos.

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed on Disney out of Miami on the Wonder, and the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral, and both times we have met characters prior to boarding. Usually is it just Mickey at Port Canaveral, and in Miami, it was multiple characters. Just an FYI...it is pure chaos...lol It's way easier to wait to meet them when on board.

Edited by Tkerniroc1986

In Copenhagen two weeks ago, Mickey and Minnie came out in the Terminal.

The wait to see them was not so bad compared to the usual mob scene at the terminal in Cape Canaveral. Since we had to wait 40-45 min to board anyway, my son chose to do the line even if he knew he would get other opportunities onboard.

In Copenhagen two weeks ago, Mickey and Minnie came out in the Terminal.

The wait to see them was not so bad compared to the usual mob scene at the terminal in Cape Canaveral. Since we had to wait 40-45 min to board anyway, my son chose to do the line even if he knew he would get other opportunities onboard.

Good for you! Hope he had a great cruise.

We've also seen Goofy and Minnie at Port Canaveral. But I agree--it is a mess. Wait and do the character bit on board.

Did Goofy and Minnie come out much later in Port Canaveral? We were boarding group 2 and only saw Mickey come out. When we were in Miami boarding the Wonder, we saw all of them come out, being that we were like boarding group LAST...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did Goofy and Minnie come out much later in Port Canaveral? We were boarding group 2 and only saw Mickey come out. When we were in Miami boarding the Wonder, we saw all of them come out, being that we were like boarding group LAST...lol

When we were waiting to board for the EBTA I saw Minnie. Don't recall what time, I'll have to look back on my pictures.

The Character performers may have to double duty and share Character rolls as needed if they fit the height requisites. i.e, a performer may play Mickey at 2pm and then Dale at 5pm if needed.

There is no real schedule apart from what the Character Manager makes for the available performers on an embark day. One half of Mickey and Minnie may have had to put in more hours on the previous cruise and need to not break Project Onboard, the DCL maximum working hours self imposed reg's inline with the ILO.

And remember those CM's need and are due time off in ports like Canaveral so they can get some personal items and time off the ship in port.

Given the amount of appearances during a cruise, IT IS great that they appear in the terminal, but do not expect to meet all of the gang, or try to plan a time to see certain ones there.

ex techie

They usually come out into the open check in area. I am always in the pre board lounge and I have never seen them come into that area. It's a bit of a mess. It's neat to get your first glimpse at "Disney" but I personally wouldnt try to deal with the hords of people trying to get their kids/family in their for photos. Its much more organized once on the ship and you will have plenty of opportunity onboard to get those photos.

Bit of a mess is an understatement. When we sailed the Dream last month, it had been three years since we sailed out of Port Canaveral and the first time we sailed at a more popular time for families. I was overwhelmed by how crowded the terminal area was. We found a little space of wall between the seating area and the concierge check in area and just stayed there until group 2 boarding was called. The thought of a picture in front of the model of the Magic got quickly quashed. When we last sailed out of PC on the Fantasy, it was October and I don't recall it feeling nearly as crowded.

Most of the time, we've seen them come out individually (not a bunch of characters at once). There doesn't seem to be any order to how they come out. One time for sure, Goofy was the first character out. Since we can board whenever we choose, we typically get there early and get on board rather than hanging out and seeing characters in the terminal--plenty of time for that on board.

We have noticed that they don't tend to appear shortly after the terminal opens any more. This probably reflects the increased crowds in the terminal at PC. They tend to appear after boarding starts...so you decide whether you want to see the character or get on board.

I've only seen people mention characters in the terminal at Port Canaveral. If you're on a summer Wonder cruise, you'll be in Vancouver. I don't know if they do preboarding photos at that port.

Yes, Minnie and Mickey alternate coming out for pre-board photos in Vancouver and not a gong show at all. Very organized.

Most of the time' date=' we've seen them come out individually (not a bunch of characters at once). There doesn't seem to be any order to how they come out. One time for sure, Goofy was the first character out. Since we can board whenever we choose, we typically get there early and get on board rather than hanging out and seeing characters in the terminal--plenty of time for that on board.

We have noticed that they don't tend to appear shortly after the terminal opens any more. This probably reflects the increased crowds in the terminal at PC. They tend to appear after boarding starts...so you decide whether you want to see the character or get on board.[/quote']

I should have mentioned that in my earlier post, when I said "all of them came out" I meant individually. They certainly don't have an order, and its just complete mayhem trying to get a picture with them at embarkation. Its just so much easier to look at the Cruise Compass each day and pick what time and where you want to meet the characters.