such a pickle!!! what to choose?

foxygrl

so i have been reading reading and reading about all the cruises, ships, pricing, pros and cons and i still keep coming back to doing a Disney cruise. i feel that it will be a perfect 1st cruise for me my 2 boys 6 and 8 years old and my mother and her husband. we were interested in the star wars day at sea but i am not sure how that works i am not sure if my boys will even get to participate for the jedi training and the other stuff. so that makes me think it would be best to just do a regular fantasy ship 7 day cruise it seems cheaper (a little). i looked at royal Caribbean and the price is a little cheaper. they have great ships with a lot to do for the kids. i just keep going back to disney how they are more directed to kids. cast away cay looks awesome and safe. so that is one super bonus for disney. carnival has their own island also and i believe RCL does. the norwegian ships look fun also but the prices are not that much cheaper either. My boys are young now and it seems there is not much for teens on disney from the reviews so i think i should just bite the bullet and do the disney. :confused:

Star Wars day is one day of the 7 day cruise. Honestly, if your kids are into Star Wars, I'd go for it.

I don't know how you view cruising. If this is a "once in a lifetime" vacation, I'd do DCL. The only other line I'd consider is Royal Carib. Yes, their base price is cheaper but they also have more upcharge items (soda packages, kid friendly specialty restaurants, etc).

I HATE the new prices on DCL and have been doing some other lines, but I don't have 2 kids that fit right into DCL's demographics. I'd go to a cheaper cabin in order to be on the ship if that's what it takes....but from everything you've said here, DCL would be a top choice. I'd either do the Magic (which has Marvel Academy) or Fantasy during Star Wars weeks.

We've done 4 DCL cruises and 1 Carnival cruise, (2 months ago on their new Vista), and have 2 cruises booked on the Vista and 1 on the Disney Magic in 2017. Our kids are teens now and still love the Disney ships as much as they did when they were younger. They also equally loved the Vista and can hardly wait to board her again.

I too, hate the DCL prices but love the experience, but I'm a Disney freak, (I get tears in my eyes every trip when I walk down main street at Disneyland.)

I too agree with the previous posters, especially if it's going to be a trip of a lifetime. Our second cruise, (1st time on the Fantasy), was going to be our trip of a lifetime. Since then we've done 3 more and have 3 more booked and have an idea for cruises every summer cruise until 2023.

What I'm trying to say is go for it and book the cruise you really want and can afford, especially while the kids are young. You won't regret booking DCL, except that you'll want to book more and more. It truly is an addiction!

Enjoy your future cruise(s) with your family!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to CC.

We all love DCL here. Well mostly ....

You do realize you never asked a direct question in your post that I found.

.. outside ..

"... i am not sure how that works i am not sure if my boys will even get to participate for the jedi training and the other stuff...."

Sail the big ships if possible. Boys 6 and 8 deserve the Dream Class IMO.

I am bias though.

Kids 6 and 8 can ride the Aquaduck. Participate in Detective agency stuff.

Etc. BBB even.

Just a biased opinion. Although correct in this situation. lol.

Enjoy regardless of Class of Ship

One should also remember that many sites are operated by travel agencies who have some interesting policies regarding discussions of agencies or types of agencies....for example, on some sites it is OK to mention the company that owns the site in praise but virtually no other independent agency. And it is not ok to criticize the only agency which can be named. On some sites, the term "webmaster" is code for "I work for the owning agency."

CC is much more fair in that regard. Their policy is that you can't name ANY agency. You can discuss types of agencies--"big box," "on line," "local," etc. The same with competing web sites.

What I'm saying is that you need to understand what is behind various sites in order to evaluate whether the info you may receive is fair or biased.

sorry about that. I was not trying to deliberately divert anyone away from CC. I was trying to be helpful to someone who might not know about the other site, which has a multiltude of info specific to DCL. The forums on XXXX are primarily populated by Disney fans and in 10+ years I have found it useful and not "rigged" in favor of the owner of the website, IMHO. But thank you for letting me know the rules. I have no idea how to insert a weblink and cannot edit my prior post. Elaine

Edited by elaine5

sorry about that. I was not trying to deliberately divert anyone away from CC. I was trying to be helpful to someone who might not know about the other site, which has a multiltude of info specific to DCL. The forums on XXXX are primarily populated by Disney fans and in 10+ years I have found it useful and not "rigged" in favor of the owner of the website, IMHO. But thank you for letting me know the rules. I have no idea how to insert a weblink and cannot edit my prior post. Elaine

To insert a weblink, go to the site you want to link, copy the URL (http://.... address at top of page), then when you post back here, paste the copied URL into the post.

You only have something like 15 (maybe 20) minutes to edit posts here on Cruise Critic. After that, they're permanent.

i am just looking for 2 cents i guess. also if anyone did the star wars cruise how or if their kids participated in the jedi training and other things or were they all booked?

Welcome to CC.

We all love DCL here. Well mostly ....

You do realize you never asked a direct question in your post that I found.

.. outside ..

"... i am not sure how that works i am not sure if my boys will even get to participate for the jedi training and the other stuff...."

Sail the big ships if possible. Boys 6 and 8 deserve the Dream Class IMO.

I am bias though.

Kids 6 and 8 can ride the Aquaduck. Participate in Detective agency stuff.

Etc. BBB even.

Just a biased opinion. Although correct in this situation. lol.

Enjoy regardless of Class of Ship

To clarify, Cruise Critic is a business and as such we generally don't allow links to or mentions of competing websites. It's a competing web site if it has a discussion board. Mentions and links are akin to handing out Ford brochures in a Chevrolet showroom.

If the link is to a travel agent with a web site, no chance, no way.

See the Guidelines in the Guidelines link above.

thank you for that information. I guess I shouldn't send anyone from that website to here for cruise info, which I done a number of times. Just trying to be helpful, but I'll know to refrain now.

I believe that "other site" also doesn't allow links to competing sites.