Bike tour or HOHO bus with elementary age kids in Barcelona?

buffy9678

We're taking a Western Med cruise in June with our 5 (nearly 6) and 8 year olds. We'll have 10 hours or so in Barcelona and since we already have a couple of pricey excursions at other ports I was thinking to make Barcelona a bit more low key and relaxed. Was thinking Montjuic and possibly a few other stops like Sagrada Familia (likely just the outside), perhaps Las Ramblas, Parc Ciutadella, etc. but I am flexible - we don't have a real bucket list for this city (although I promised my son a soccer jersey!). I'm debating between a bike tour or a HOHO bus. Does anyone with younger kids have experience with this have any recommendations? I thought the HOHO might be more leisurely and it hits up a lot of popular sites but I don't know if it is a good use of time with kids. I'm interested in a bike tour too, but with some tours we are limited on the age of the kids. My 5 year old would likely need a trailer. She knows how to bike and we've biked to school every day for years, but she doesn't have the stamina and is not mature enough to do it on her own in a big city. My 8 year old son could do it, no problem. Thoughts, HOHO or bikes for kids? Thanks!

Ditto to Diane. Montjuic is called "mont" for a reason. It's a real slog. Also, unless you are going on a group tour (which would take you on safest streets), I would not advise a bike ride with kids. It's a busy city with lots of traffic.

What about taking them to Parc Gruell? It's full of fanciful figures and colorful design that might appeal to your little ones. It's also up a hill--take the bus.

Thank you for the Park Guell suggestion and the tip about the timed tickets, I wasn't aware of that bit. If we do a bike tour I would pay for a guided group tour, as I don't have a firm itinerary and don't want to wander aimlessly with kids. There was an electronic bike tour that goes to Montjuic and claims it is easy up with the e-bike (and I believe that they offer trailers for younger kids). I wouldn't want to pedal up the mountain for sure! With that said, I'm leaning towards to HOHO. Thanks for your insight!

I really would skip the HOHO. Barcelona is very easy by subway. If you visit La Rambla, subway to Sagrada Familia and then taxi to Park Guell, you'll spend a fraction of the money, enjoy some of the best of Barcelona and the kids will have a great time. I think it's nice to have a day where you're not running from place to place and they can just enjoy themselves and play.