What to do 'near' JFK on short layover?

lucymorgan

Thank you again for all of your input. I realised from reading your suggestions that we were probably better off heading somewhere familiar, given the short time for the layover and that our brains would likely be dulled by jet lag ;p;):confused:.

So,as we have stayed in Greenwich Village before, know how to get there on the Airtrain and the Subway (in about 1hour 20 minutes), have walked around the area before both during the day and at night, I've booked us into a familiar hotel there.

Got a good advance purchase deal too (<$270USD for a room with a village or park view and included breakfast). If we are up to it, we might even check out a jazz club!

Thanks again - it really did help me decide.

Sounds like a great plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like an excellent decision. Go someplace comfortable and familiar. Enjoy something special and hop back on the subway to JFK.

Personally I've always wondered about what there was to do at JFK. We never even recommend staying there because so many hotels are also used for emergency housing. IMO if you're going to get on the Airtrain, you might as well just get on the subway and ride into Manhattan.

Edited by 138east

Hi, We arrive at JFK at about 5.00 pm after 24 hours of flying from Australia. The next day we fly out again at around 2.00 pm.

We come back to NYC a couple of weeks later 2 days before our cruise from Cape Liberty and then after the cruise we stay in NYC for another 5 days. For these we are staying in Manhattan (Cambria Inn and Suites, Chelsea, near the Path train to NJ). We have previously stayed for a week each in Greenwich Village and Chelsea near the Highline. We are comfortable with catching the metro around NYC and quite enjoy catching public transport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the short layover (5.00pm to 2.00pm next day) for a nice place to stay that is easy to get to (preferably via the JFK Airtrain/metro or hotel shuttle), in a nice neighborhood with stores/restaurants for casual dinner for tired flyers, perhaps shopping or interesting sights before we return to JFK to fly out again? For example, any suggestions for Queens?

Thanks for any ideas.

I grew up in Queens and there really isn't much in the vicinity of JFK with regards to restaurants and shopping. The only places that have what you're looking for is the Astoria/Long Island City area, but that's not convenient for you considering your timeline. Howard Beach is the only "nice" neighborhood near the airport but it doesn't have the things that I think you're looking for.

I grew up in Queens and there really isn't much in the vicinity of JFK with regards to restaurants and shopping. The only places that have what you're looking for is the Astoria/Long Island City area, but that's not convenient for you considering your timeline. Howard Beach is the only "nice" neighborhood near the airport but it doesn't have the things that I think you're looking for.

Thanks mikeriv79 - I decided to catch the airtrain and subway into manhattan (Greenwich Village) - you have reinforced that was the right decision :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, We arrive at JFK at about 5.00 pm after 24 hours of flying from Australia. The next day we fly out again at around 2.00 pm.

We come back to NYC a couple of weeks later 2 days before our cruise from Cape Liberty and then after the cruise we stay in NYC for another 5 days. For these we are staying in Manhattan (Cambria Inn and Suites, Chelsea, near the Path train to NJ). We have previously stayed for a week each in Greenwich Village and Chelsea near the Highline. We are comfortable with catching the metro around NYC and quite enjoy catching public transport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the short layover (5.00pm to 2.00pm next day) for a nice place to stay that is easy to get to (preferably via the JFK Airtrain/metro or hotel shuttle), in a nice neighborhood with stores/restaurants for casual dinner for tired flyers, perhaps shopping or interesting sights before we return to JFK to fly out again? For example, any suggestions for Queens?

Thanks for any ideas.

JFK is currently under runway construction 2017. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/jfk-runway-construction-2017/

If you arrive JFK at 5 pm, you may have some delay to get out the airport. After 24 hours of flying from Australia, you must be tired and want to take easy. Also, in order to fly out the next day @2 pm, you probably need to check in at airport by noon. I would suggest that you try Courtyard @ JFK (check Marriott.com). They allow 15% senior discount (if over 62 yo) and provide complimentary shuttle between airport and hotel. I just booked one night stay for my pre-cruise so I got the information from their website. If you can settle down at Courtyard by 7 pm the day you fly in, you can have a good dinner and consider to go out to enjoy the NYC night life (can ask hotel front desk to reserve a cab for you). If you plan to do something next day morning, you can check out, and ask if you can leave your baggage with them until you are ready to go to airport again by noon.