CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Several people have mentioned that they're staying at the Country Inn & Suites prior to their cruise and that there is a shuttle for $17.50 pp from the hotel to the pier. We are staying there too.

A couple posters mentioned that this hotel also offers a shuttle from the port to the airport after the cruise. Can anyone tell me what time that return shuttle picks up and if it goes directly to the airport or does it stop at the hotel first?

Several people have mentioned that they're staying at the Country Inn & Suites prior to their cruise and that there is a shuttle for $17.50 pp from the hotel to the pier. We are staying there too.

A couple posters mentioned that this hotel also offers a shuttle from the port to the airport after the cruise. Can anyone tell me what time that return shuttle picks up and if it goes directly to the airport or does it stop at the hotel first?

Not sure. Shared shuttles from the port to the airport are $20/pp and can be arranged through the taxi dispatcher.

Why don't you call the hotel and ask? You want to find out exactly where you get dropped off. Hotel shuttles are supposed to drop off at the P4 Airtrain station where you have to take your luggage on the Airtrain to your terminal. Private shuttles will possibly drop off at a terminal.

Not sure. Shared shuttles from the port to the airport are $20/pp and can be arranged through the taxi dispatcher.

Why don't you call the hotel and ask? You want to find out exactly where you get dropped off. Hotel shuttles are supposed to drop off at the P4 Airtrain station where you have to take your luggage on the Airtrain to your terminal. Private shuttles will possibly drop off at a terminal.

So...if we do walk-off as early as possible (the ship docks at 8 am) we go to the taxi dispatcher and ask for a shared shuttle to the airport?

We used Summit Taxi, which was a sedan, for ride from Robert Treat to Anthem on March 26th, and it was only $50.00. You can google them if you are interested in a price quote.

Thank you. I contacted them and its $55.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat am - You can consider Uber. I recommend leaving around 10 am.

Thur am - private car because you are under a time constraint. 8 am is good.

Thank you! I'll report back after our trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing on Anthem (from Cape Liberty) Saturday, May 14th, and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island for 3 nights pre-cruise. We will be going to the 911 Memorial on Friday, May 13th, we have reservations at 11 am. What is the best way to get from South Ferry to the 911 Memorial (it may be raining)? Is there a good place to eat nearby, preferably a Jewish Deli? Thank you for your advice.

Hi, I realize this is a year old post. But I just made reservations at Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. It said on their website free shuttle from the airport ERW and to the port. How was your stay. Anything to eat nearby and would you recommend this hotel? Also how was the shuttle service? Thanks for any help.

Hi, I realize this is a year old post. But I just made reservations at Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. It said on their website free shuttle from the airport ERW and to the port. How was your stay. Anything to eat nearby and would you recommend this hotel? Also how was the shuttle service? Thanks for any help.

What exact date are you sailing on the Anthem? What time does your flight arrive in Newark? How many people are you and what is your hotel budget?

I've visited the Hilton Garden and really like the location, but.....the Bayonne Bridge is currently under construction and subject to frequent unpredictable/unscheduled closures. Pull up a map of the Staten Island/Bayonne area so you can see what I'm talking about. The direct route to Cape Liberty from the Hilton Garden is via route 440 across the Bayonne Bridge. When the Bridge is closed, traffic has to go west on I278, cross the Goethals Bridge to NJ at Elizabeth, go north on the turnpike to Newark, and continue east on the turnpike extension I78 to exit 14A Bayonne to get to the port. I'm not currently suggesting this hotel to cruisers because of the inconvenience of the bridge closures.

If you're flying home from Newark, you probably should make transportation arrangements to go directly to the airport instead of going via Staten Island.

Without a car the Hilton Garden itself is the only place to eat unless you want to take a taxi somewhere else. The hotel is located in a lovely location in a wooded corporate park, but there are no services nearby.

What exact date are you sailing on the Anthem? Oct 12 th 2017

What time does your flight arrive in Newark?

Possible 4:30

How many people are you and what is your hotel budget? (2)

I've visited the Hilton Garden and really like the location, but.....the Bayonne Bridge is currently under construction and subject to frequent unpredictable/unscheduled closures. Pull up a map of the Staten Island/Bayonne area so you can see what I'm talking about. The direct route to Cape Liberty from the Hilton Garden is via route 440 across the Bayonne Bridge. When the Bridge is closed, traffic has to go west on I278, cross the Goethals Bridge to NJ at Elizabeth, go north on the turnpike to Newark, and continue east on the turnpike extension I78 to exit 14A Bayonne to get to the port. I'm not currently suggesting this hotel to cruisers because of the inconvenience of the bridge closures.

If you're flying home from Newark, you probably should make transportation arrangements to go directly to the airport instead of going via Staten Island. (yes we are going direct to Newark)

Without a car the Hilton Garden itself is the only place to eat unless you want to take a taxi somewhere else. The hotel is located in a lovely location in a wooded corporate park, but there are no services nearby.

I called the hotel and they won't be able to pick us up for free shuttle to hotel, between 5pm-8pm because of military personal. So I'm going to can cancel my booking with them and look for another place. If you have any suggestion. Would like free shuttle to hotel and we could use uber to the ship.

I called the hotel and they won't be able to pick us up for free shuttle to hotel, between 5pm-8pm because of military personal. So I'm going to can cancel my booking with them and look for another place. If you have any suggestion. Would like free shuttle to hotel and we could use uber to the ship.

Good thing to find out now!

The best deal out there for you is the trinityreservations.com package at the Ramada Plaza for $185 tax included which includes a room AND round trip port transportation as well as an airport shuttle. It is prepay, but cancellable until noon the day before your arrival. I used this package with parking in February and was very happy with it. The hotel has a restaurant, bar, and extensive cafe.

When you get to the hotel you sign up for a shuttle time - I went at 10 am on a Tuesday. It was still late rush hour on a "bad traffic" morning and we were at the port by 10:25 (This hotel has good access to Exit 14 and is one of the closest EWR hotels to the port). The shuttle was a 14-16 passenger hotel shuttle that was clean and comfortable. Coming back the shuttle would stop at the hotel before going to the P4 Airtrain station drop off (and pick up) point to connect to the various terminals by Airtrain.

If this hotel doesn't suit, post back your hotel budget and any other requirements.

Good thing to find out now!

The best deal out there for you is the trinityreservations.com package at the Ramada Plaza for $185 tax included which includes a room AND round trip port transportation as well as an airport shuttle. It is prepay, but cancellable until noon the day before your arrival. I used this package with parking in February and was very happy with it. The hotel has a restaurant, bar, and extensive cafe.

When you get to the hotel you sign up for a shuttle time - I went at 10 am on a Tuesday. It was still late rush hour on a "bad traffic" morning and we were at the port by 10:25 (This hotel has good access to Exit 14 and is one of the closest EWR hotels to the port). The shuttle was a 14-16 passenger hotel shuttle that was clean and comfortable. Coming back the shuttle would stop at the hotel before going to the P4 Airtrain station drop off (and pick up) point to connect to the various terminals by Airtrain.

If this hotel doesn't suit, post back your hotel budget and any other requirements.

That looks good. I will have to check out the hotel. Budget up to $300 ish

That looks good. I will have to check out the hotel. Budget up to $300 ish

For a more upscale option within your budget, check out Embassy Suites on International Blvd in Elizabeth. They offer a shuttle option to and from the port for $20/pp each way as well as free breakfast. In addition they are located next to the Jersey Gardens Mall and dining options of IHOP, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees, JohnnybRockets, and a food court.

Just got an email from Celebrity. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority will be doing scheduled road construction to the Turnpike and exit 14a to Bayonne over the weekend. The will shut the turnpike and exit to one lane of traffic. I will be traveling from Hartford, CT.

Just got an email from Celebrity. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority will be doing scheduled road construction to the Turnpike and exit 14a to Bayonne over the weekend. The will shut the turnpike and exit to one lane of traffic. I will be traveling from Hartford, CT.

They've done that before and it was awful.

If it were me, I'd come down the Henry Hudson, 12th Ave, and West St in Manhattan to take the Holland Tunnel to NJ because the westbound turnpike extension does not have a lane closure. The Manhattan west side should be OK on a Sat morning and that route is designed to move traffic.

They've done that before and it was awful.

If it were me, I'd come down the Henry Hudson, 12th Ave, and West St in Manhattan to take the Holland Tunnel to NJ because the westbound turnpike extension does not have a lane closure. The Manhattan west side should be OK on a Sat morning and that route is designed to move traffic.

This will be Sunday morning if that makes a difference.

This will be Sunday morning if that makes a difference.

It makes a huge difference. Sunday is the lowest traffic day of the week. I have been known to do this to avoid almost $4 in turnpike tolls.

12th Ave/West St is 3 lanes wide. Just get in the middle lane and watch for the Holland Tunnel signs so you can get in the left lane for the turn to go to the tunnel. The lights are well timed. Coming out of the tunnel get to the right.

This is a Sunday morning ride. The Holland .Tunnel turn sign is visible at 4:13

Hi all,

I wondered if I could get some advice please... I've been through a fair bit of this thread but there is so much to read!

We're travelling out of Cape Liberty in August on Celebrity Summit. We are coming from the UK and will be arriving into JFK around 8pm (by the time we've cleared customs it'll be gone 10pm). We arrive on the Friday and then cruise on the Sunday. Our current thoughts are staying in Newark for the two nights before the cruise so a) we can be close to Cape Liberty and b) shopping at a big outlet mall on the Saturday is something we'll be looking to do.

I have a few questions:

- Last time we went to Manhattan we caught the sky train and then underground. At this time of night, carrying a load of luggage and being tired, I'm hoping to look at alternative ways of getting to Newark. Is there a standard cab fair from JFK to Newark like there is for Manhattan?

- We are thinking of staying at the Hilton by Newark Penn Station. We stay at Hilton's because we have their loyalty scheme. However, I am open to suggestions in this regard. Linked with the point above, does being at hotel near this station help at all? Is there any direct buses we can take from JFK to here for instance?

- When we are in Newark, are there any real standout shopping malls near Cape Liberty/around Newark? Happy to catch buses or taxis to them. We quite like the outlet mall style for cheap clothes and fashion.

- I've gathered from this thread that catching a taxi to Cape Liberty is the way to go on the day of our cruise. I presume coming back from the cruise that a taxi is best way to get to Manhattan? If so, what is the likely cost? Again, I don't have a problem getting buses or trains, in fact this would be my preferred route for cost. Are there any buses that go from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty and vice versa.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Tom

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

I wondered if I could get some advice please... I've been through a fair bit of this thread but there is so much to read!

We're travelling out of Cape Liberty in August on Celebrity Summit. We are coming from the UK and will be arriving into JFK around 8pm (by the time we've cleared customs it'll be gone 10pm). We arrive on the Friday and then cruise on the Sunday. Our current thoughts are staying in Newark for the two nights before the cruise so a) we can be close to Cape Liberty and b) shopping at a big outlet mall on the Saturday is something we'll be looking to do.

I have a few questions:

- Last time we went to Manhattan we caught the sky train and then underground. At this time of night, carrying a load of luggage and being tired, I'm hoping to look at alternative ways of getting to Newark. Is there a standard cab fair from JFK to Newark like there is for Manhattan?

- We are thinking of staying at the Hilton by Newark Penn Station. We stay at Hilton's because we have their loyalty scheme. However, I am open to suggestions in this regard. Linked with the point above, does being at hotel near this station help at all? Is there any direct buses we can take from JFK to here for instance?

- When we are in Newark, are there any real standout shopping malls near Cape Liberty/around Newark? Happy to catch buses or taxis to them. We quite like the outlet mall style for cheap clothes and fashion.

- I've gathered from this thread that catching a taxi to Cape Liberty is the way to go on the day of our cruise. I presume coming back from the cruise that a taxi is best way to get to Manhattan? If so, what is the likely cost? Again, I don't have a problem getting buses or trains, in fact this would be my preferred route for cost. Are there any buses that go from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty and vice versa.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Tom

So you need two nights in a hotel on a Fri and Sat? What are the exact August dates? What is your hotel budget?

Which NJ outlet mall exactly do you want to shop at? The Mills at Jersey Gardens is at Newark Airport. Secaucus NJ has several outlet malls - http://www.secaucus.org/shopping.html

Will you have the use of a cell phone? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit?

Where are you going in Manhattan post cruise?

Really can't give you the best advice until I know all your possible destinations. Newark might not be your best option as there is no direct way to get there other than car service - Expect to pay $120+. Most of the outlet malls have good bus service from Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC.

You have to look at the total cost of a hotel and all the transportation you require.

Thank you for your reply, it's already given me lots to think about.

In answer to the questions:

- Two nights on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th August.

- The Mills at Jersey Gardens looks good.

- Yes will have a cellphone and both are in our early 30s and have been NY a few times so know the lay of the land. Happy carrying luggage around but would prefer to avoid public transport on the Friday night we get in.

- Post cruise we are going to be in central Manhattan. We're going to do a bit of sightseeing and picking up areas we've not been before. So any transport that can get us back there the cheapest is best.

- Budget and total cost is a really good point, I hadn't thought about staying near Port Authority bus terminal. Does the bus terminal do a route to Cape Liberty?

Thank you for your help,

Tom

Thank you for your reply, it's already given me lots to think about.

In answer to the questions:

- Two nights on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th August.

- The Mills at Jersey Gardens looks good.

- Yes will have a cellphone and both are in our early 30s and have been NY a few times so know the lay of the land. Happy carrying luggage around but would prefer to avoid public transport on the Friday night we get in.

- Post cruise we are going to be in central Manhattan. We're going to do a bit of sightseeing and picking up areas we've not been before. So any transport that can get us back there the cheapest is best.

- Budget and total cost is a really good point, I hadn't thought about staying near Port Authority bus terminal. Does the bus terminal do a route to Cape Liberty?

Thank you for your help,

Tom

If you want to shop at Jersey Gardens, my suggestion would be to book Embassy suites in Elizabeth (a Hilton) and to book a car service from JFK. They offer free breakfast, some sort of cocktail event, and you can purchase Cape Liberty shuttle transportation for $20/pp. A second choice would be Country Inns Elizabeth which offers free breakfast and shuttle transportation for $17.50/pp. The mall is across the street from these hotels and you can easily walk there.

These shuttle rates are a good deal. Otherwise you will be paying $55-70 to get to the port. The car service transportation from JFK will be expensive, but will save you aggravation and other transportation costs in the long run.

Do you know where you will be staying post cruise in Manhattan? The cheapest way to get from Cape Liberty is to take a shuttle to the light rail station ($12-15), the light rail to Hoboken ($2.25/pp), and PATH to 33rd St ($2.75/pp) where you would hail a cab to go to your hotel. The light rail and PATH are accessible with luggage.

There is no public bus transportation to Cape Liberty. Staying in Manhattan is fine, but the hotel is likely to be more expensive and will eat up any transportation savings to get there.

Thank you very much for the reply. We'll have a look over the suggestions and I'll come back if I have more questions. The hotel opposite the mall sounds really promising.

In answer to your question, no idea on where we're staying post cruise yet, however I reckon it'll be in or around Times Square.

Thank you very much for the reply. We'll have a look over the suggestions and I'll come back if I have more questions. The hotel opposite the mall sounds really promising.

In answer to your question, no idea on where we're staying post cruise yet, however I reckon it'll be in or around Times Square.

When you focus your plans a bit more, post back for additional suggestions.

For example, if you stay in Times Square post cruise, you can take the airport bus to JFK from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Timing is everything in NYC and day of the week is important. Allowing enough time to get to the airport is critical.

When you focus your plans a bit more, post back for additional suggestions.

For example, if you stay in Times Square post cruise, you can take the airport bus to JFK from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Timing is everything in NYC and day of the week is important. Allowing enough time to get to the airport is critical.

I booked Embassy suites in Elizabeth (a Hilton) as per your suggestion. (thanks) What time would you suggest leaving the hotel to get to the port. We will most likely use uber, but would like to avoid a ton of traffic.

Hi, we're on Anthem May 6 (Sat am) to May 11 (Thurs am). We're staying at the BW Robert Treat from 5/4-6. Question on each direction below - thanks for any advice!

Thursday am - pickup at 8 am to Newark - quote around $50

I realize it is a work day and more traffic on the return. We will do self-disembark (Diamond Plus on RCCL so we're familiar with the drill)

I have Amtrak to catch at 9:56 am so I would plan to have drop off at Terminal C and ride the monorail over (have ticket already). DH has a flight at 12:35 so he has plenty of time to get through security and to right terminal for departure.

1) Private car service - best option? I've seen recent reports of Uber, but a Thursday morning makes me more inclined to have a pre-arranged car

2) Is 8:00 a good pick-up time given my train time? Google maps shows typical commute at 25-40 minutes at this time.

Thanks! I'll be happy to report back on both journeys once we're back.

We are doing the exact same thing two weeks later, on 5/25. Self-disembark Anthem, to Amtrak out of EWR at 9:56. Would be interested to hear your experience with this.