Recommendations near Prudential Center for restaurant and/or liquor ?

masonpips

We're flying into Newark on Thursday prior to our Saturday Anthem cruise. We land around noon and are staying at BW Robert Treat.

Thursday we're looking for somewhere to eat near the hotel/Prudential Center (we plan on going to a concert there, show at 7:30, doors open at 6:30). We don't want super fancy, but something good and the reviews on Open Table and Yelp seem mixed as to places - any recommendations? We thought we could grab a snack near the hotel and then go out for an early dinner (5-5:30) and head to the show. Would prefer walking distance (up to about .75 mile ok, especially if near Prudential Center).

We plan to head to the Walgreens on Ferry Street in the time between the snack/dinner for any last minute supplies and wine (or a liquor store). I tried to read up on the liquor laws for NJ but it's confusing - just thought I'd ask and confirm that no wine available except at a liquor store? We'll be in Manhattan on Friday so I can pick up some there for the ship too.

Food wise we're open, like all cuisines and will probably be dressed in jeans/nice tops for the show. Since we're planning to go early, I assume we won't have to have reservations but we're fine if we need to make them. Full bar would be a bonus! Thanks

The iron bound section of Newark has some of the best Portuguese restaurants in the country. I haven't been in years, but Casa Vasca is about a half mile from the prudential center. There are several others in the area, great seafood and sangria. Tops Diner was just voted best diner in the nation. Uber works well in the area too.