How do warm weather/water/beach people like Alaska cruises?

back to the islands

I love summer, swimming, snorkeling, and beaches! To me there is nothing like the Virgin Islands or another tropical place, but I also love nature! I don't like being all bundled up, but I have heard Alaska is just stunning. I know it is. I lived there for 3 years over 50 years ago and I remember driving along Turnagin Arm to Seward and the beautiful mountains. I am afraid I won't enjoy an Alaska cruise because of the cold. Anyone like me gone on an Alaska cruise and can give me advice? I did think the Seattle area and Victoria were lovely, albeit chilly! Seattle is my favorite non beach destination!

Also, I'm looking at booking last minute for this summer. I'm assuming the best balconies face East, correct?

Thank you so much!

You never know in the summer if Alaska is going to be cold or not. We have been on Alaska cruises in May, July and Sept. September was the only one that I found to be cold. (well, all were cold while sailing close to the glaicer)

My sister-in-law lives in a hot dry climate and she loved our September Alaska cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat. You will likely need to decide for yourself if the breathtaking scenery, wildlife, history and culture are worth the trade off. The very fact that you are worried about it would give me pause. I am not a fan of the cold but went to Ireland in the end of November. Ireland and our September Alaska cruise both had horrible weather, (rain, wind, cold). We did not let the weather slow us down and we had an absolutely fabulous time in both miserably cold, wet, and overcast places. Frankly, it never dawned on me that we could possibly not enjoy it.

In the passage there is land on both sides of the Ship and if doing a round trip Vancouver or Seattle, You will have the land on your side of the ship one of the directions. My niece had a back balcony on our last Alaska cruise and loved it. Was it better than a port or starboard balcony? I don't know. We have always seen whales, otters, seals, bears, and beautiful scenery, regardless of which side our balcony/window was on.

Edited by imescaping
Correct typos

I love summer, swimming, snorkeling, and beaches! To me there is nothing like the Virgin Islands or another tropical place, but I also love nature! I don't like being all bundled up, but I have heard Alaska is just stunning. I know it is. I lived there for 3 years over 50 years ago and I remember driving along Turnagin Arm to Seward and the beautiful mountains. I am afraid I won't enjoy an Alaska cruise because of the cold. Anyone like me gone on an Alaska cruise and can give me advice? I did think the Seattle area and Victoria were lovely, albeit chilly! Seattle is my favorite non beach destination!

Also, I'm looking at booking last minute for this summer. I'm assuming the best balconies face East, correct?

Thank you so much!

Our first Alaskan cruise was in early September. We lucked out and had no rain except for Ketchikan and the only day we had to "bundle up" was the day the ship sailed into Glacier Bay. But it sure was worth bundling up for!! Absolutely breathtaking!!

I'm not sure if it were the ship itself (HAL seemed to cater more towards the "older" guest), but the ship experience for us was totally different than the previous Caribbean & Hawaii cruises that we have done. It was more laid back and not as much of a "party" atmosphere. We are sailing out on RCI in a couple of weeks, so we'll see what it's like.

I really felt I had to respond to your post. I am also a beach and warm weather kind of person. I greatly dislike the cold, cool or rainy temps.

My husband is the opposite and his dream vacation is Alaska. We have been twice and despite the sometimes cool and rainy temps I loved it and we are planning our third trip this summer.

The scenery and wildlife are amazing and Alaska has a way of pulling you in. I had a lot of fun and great adventures on my trips to Alaska. I think it is just an adjustment of attitude and honestly you will be so busy enjoying the scenery you may forget about the warm weather cruises momentarily.

Try cruising late July or early August for the prospect of better weather. Either way you will have a blast and great stories to tell :D

When we lived in Minneapolis area the Summer "thing to do" was head north, far north, to the lakes and cabin resorts where it was a bit cooler than "down south". Relief from the sweltering mugginess (but nothing like places like Houston :eek:). Alaska (SE anyway) is like that - for some a place of relief. Also for the scenery and different wildlife so it is fundamentally different from beach vacations.

I'm assuming the best balconies face East, correct?

Depends. The foothills and low mountains are the same both directions. Some might prefer East because sometimes the taller Coast Range mountains might be visible but chances are slim. If not obscured by clouds if the ship is on the east side of the channel those foothills will block the view of what is behind them. Unless you are an early riser sunrises will be missed but most people have a better chance with sunsets (when clear) in the late evening. Long daylight hours the farther north you go and close to Summer Solstice means very early sunrise and late sunset. Meaning if you have a balcony watching sunset just before going to bed can be nice.

But most of the time the low clouds and rain looks the same either way.

Tip for cruises out of Seattle - August and September will be the least chance of rain here. Works a little different north of Vancouver Is. where anything can happen but around Puget Sound there is usually lots of sun in August and the mountains to the east are usually visible.

I love the calmness of the ocean on a Caribbean cruise. I love just looking out over the ocean. I enjoy swimming in the warm water. However, I really enjoy the beauty of Alaska. The beauty surrounds the ship on 360 degrees. When we sail to the Caribbean, we usually don't do too many excursions. We enjoy the port area and beaches. However, in Alaska, we sometimes do two excursions a day. I always enjoy dining in the dining room on a Caribbean cruise. However, I would be fine only eating at the buffet in Alaska because I don't want to waste my time sitting at a dining room table and being waited on. I want to be out on deck enjoying the views. When we went in 2015, it just made us want to return and to a land tour. Luckily, we will do it again in 2018.

Thank you so much!

I'm a Florida native, live in Fort Lauderdale, about as tropical as it gets. I absolutely love Alaska. I've been in May and June and the weather has never bothered me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk