Carnaval de Panama-what to expect

helby

I'm wondering about the Carnaval de Panama which will be on my upcoming cruise. I've been through the Panama before but there was nothing extra except a boring port lecturer. If you have experienced this onboard festival I would appreciate knowing more about it. Is it over several days and did you find the activities interesting?

Thanks

helby

I'm wondering about the Carnaval de Panama which will be on my upcoming cruise. I've been through the Panama before but there was nothing extra except a boring port lecturer. If you have experienced this onboard festival I would appreciate knowing more about it. Is it over several days and did you find the activities interesting?

Thanks

helby

It's part of the Princess Festivals of the World programs. The highlight is a few hour piazza dance party one evening of the cruise. The party might include a passenger performance by the drum/steel band group and may also include a dance number from those that took the Salsa lessons. Here is what Princess states:

CARNAVAL DE PANAMA (JANUARY - MAY, SEPTEMBER - DECEMBER)

On select Panama Canal cruises

It's been called the "world's greatest shortcut" and cruising to this manmade marvel is certainly cause for celebration. Our Carnaval de Panama festival helps immerse you in the region, with arts and crafts, dance lessons, DiscoveryTM Animal shows, lectures and documentaries on the Canal, a colorful party in the Piazza and much more!

Featured Carnaval Activities:

• Traditional 'Mola' arts and crafts
  • Salsa dance classes
  • Drum circles and steel pan music classes
  • Lecturers on Panama Canal history
  • Piazza party featuring salsa, reggae, calypso and meringue
  • Documentaries (A Man, A Plan, A Canal)
  • Movies (The Tailor of Panama)
  • DiscoveryTM Animal shows - birds/monkeys/reptiles

Thanks Sknight for your reply. I had read this description of the Carnaval and it sounds good but I wasn't clear enough on asking for personal experiences about this. Sometimes the description and what actually happens are very different.

Thanks again for taking the time to find and post the info.