Fort Lauderdale or Miami to kill 2 days

Dibbadiane

My daughter (12) and I are taking a cruise out of Miami in April. To get the best airline deal we plan to fly into Fort Lauderdale 2 days early. I'm trying to figure out a few things

1. Would there be more to do in Fort Lauderdale or Miami for two days with a,12 yr old?

2. Recommendations for hotels in either .....not high end but not bed bug infested either?

3. Do we need a car or is there an area with enough public transportation or ubers to get around?

Thanks in advance

I would prefer Fort Lauderdale. It's also less expensive. We usually stay at Bahia Mar. It's directly across from the beach and has an elevated cross walk so you don't fight the traffic to get there. Many restaurants within walking distance. Also has watertaxi stop next door hop on and off and enjoy all the beautiful homes and yachts

You can then book shuttle service from hotel to Miami

I have the same issue! I'm flying in 2 days early for $36 during spring break pre cruise. I'm really looking at Lauderdale by the sea. Prices for motels (2 story) are around $150 whereas 17th street was put to $400 a night. I've stayed at the Renaissance on 17th (would never again.)

We've done both with our kids several times. That's plenty to do in both areas, but I feel like there is more to see and do with kids in and around Miami. I would definitely rent car for two days.

If your daughter is into animals at all then then Zoo Miami is awesome! It's huge though so plan for a full day visit or rent a "Safari Cycle" to get around faster. Jungle Island is another great place to go for animals plus it's right by the port for viewing the cruise ships.

Bayside Market is a fun place to stroll through, grab something to eat and watch the cruise ships pull out.

Up in Ft. Lauderdale, Flaminigo Gardens is kind of neat. There is also the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science.

You could also head to the Everglades and to a airboat ride. We did that one year and it was a lot of fun. Or stay in Ft. Lauderdale and ride the water taxi around the canals.

If you are into shopping two of the largest malls in the US are in the area. Aventura is more high end, and Sawgrass Mills is more outlet mall.

If you are flying into FLL it would be more convenient to stay in Ft. Lauderdale. It's more family friendly, less expensive and more to do on a 12 year old level that an adult can enjoy as well.

Ft Lauderdale is called "The Venice of America" because of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Water Taxi is a good example why.

http://watertaxi.com/

You can dedicate an entire day and evening using the Water Taxi to get around, hop on, hop off, go to the beach, go Downtown to Las Olas Blvd., go to lunch, go to dinner, see all the yachts during the day and then see them all lit up at night. There's Millionaires Row which will amaze you during the day and awe you when they are all lit up at night. It's enjoyable to ride the Water Taxi at night under the stars just for a night time boat ride.

You can transfer with the same daily ticket to the Hollywood Water Taxi underneath the 17th Street Causeway in front of the Hilton Marina and go through Port Everglades to get to the Broadwalk, Margaritaville and the beach in Hollywood. There you will find dozens of shops and restaurants lined up along the Broadwalk. I'll drive at least a half hour (no traffic) from my house just to go have a cheeseburger or the killer grouper sandwhich at Nick's on the Broadwalk located about 100 yards north of the band shell and Florider at Magarittaville. I think the Florider alone would fascinate a 12 year old just watching, but they could participate for 30 minutes for $25 or an hour for $35.

Then there is the beach at Ft. Lauderdale with Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Lulu's Bait Shack, Coconuts, Drunken Taco, Casablanca, dozens of shops or you can drop some serious cash at the Beauty and the Feast Bar/Kitchen at the Atlantic hotel for dinner...

http://www.atlantichotelfl.com/var/atlantic/storage/original/application/81dc6e67bc9ce5ca8534e82b07fbf54f.pdf

Or S3 (Sun, Surf and Sand) at the Hilton island chic hub for sushi and coastal eats...

http://s3restaurant.com/

But my favorite place of all if I only had two days to spend would be Lauderale By the Sea where you can just slow down, relax and enjoy a quaint little beach village. LBTS is a throwback in time to the way Ft Lauderdale was 50 years ago only modern and cool. You won't find any fast food chains here, no tall buildings and no chain hotels, only independent restaurants like Aruba Beach Cafe and Ma & Pa ice cream parlor and shops. You don't need a car because everything is so compact in a two block or so area focused around the pier and pavillion...

http://www.lbts.com/

Ft Lauderdale...So much to do and so little time.

If you are flying into FLL it would be more convenient to stay in Ft. Lauderdale. It's more family friendly, less expensive and more to do on a 12 year old level that an adult can enjoy as well.

Ft Lauderdale is called "The Venice of America" because of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Water Taxi is a good example why.

http://watertaxi.com/

You can dedicate an entire day and evening using the Water Taxi to get around, hop on, hop off, go to the beach, go Downtown to Las Olas Blvd., go to lunch, go to dinner, see all the yachts during the day and then see them all lit up at night. There's Millionaires Row which will amaze you during the day and awe you when they are all lit up at night. It's enjoyable to ride the Water Taxi at night under the stars just for a night time boat ride.

You can transfer with the same daily ticket to the Hollywood Water Taxi underneath the 17th Street Causeway in front of the Hilton Marina and go through Port Everglades to get to the Broadwalk, Margaritaville and the beach in Hollywood. There you will find dozens of shops and restaurants lined up along the Broadwalk. I'll drive at least a half hour (no traffic) from my house just to go have a cheeseburger or the killer grouper sandwhich at Nick's on the Broadwalk located about 100 yards north of the band shell and Florider at Magarittaville. I think the Florider alone would fascinate a 12 year old just watching, but they could participate for 30 minutes for $25 or an hour for $35.

Then there is the beach at Ft. Lauderdale with Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Lulu's Bait Shack, Coconuts, Drunken Taco, Casablanca, dozens of shops or you can drop some serious cash at the Beauty and the Feast Bar/Kitchen at the Atlantic hotel for dinner...

http://www.atlantichotelfl.com/var/atlantic/storage/original/application/81dc6e67bc9ce5ca8534e82b07fbf54f.pdf

Or S3 (Sun, Surf and Sand) at the Hilton island chic hub for sushi and coastal eats...

http://s3restaurant.com/

But my favorite place of all if I only had two days to spend would be Lauderale By the Sea where you can just slow down, relax and enjoy a quaint little beach village. LBTS is a throwback in time to the way Ft Lauderdale was 50 years ago only modern and cool. You won't find any fast food chains here, no tall buildings and no chain hotels, only independent restaurants like Aruba Beach Cafe and Ma & Pa ice cream parlor and shops. You don't need a car because everything is so compact in a two block or so area focused around the pier and pavillion...

http://www.lbts.com/

Ft Lauderdale...So much to do and so little time.

Thank you for this great resource. We will have about 24 hrs in FLL after our cruise in March. We have an air bnb and a rental car and now lots of fun options to choose from.

Thank you for this great resource. We will have about 24 hrs in FLL after our cruise in March. We have an air bnb and a rental car and now lots of fun options to choose from.

Yeah, well...I woke up at 4:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and wrote that "article." My goal is to be the Rick Steves of Ft Lauderdale.

What time do you arrive and where is your accommodations?