Novovirus outbreaks on Balmoral

Hols6190

Recently back from a cruise on Balmoral. Code red special measures in place from day 2 because of outbreaks of gastrointestinal problems so cruise experience affected - jacuzzis and gym closed, many toilets around ship closed, table top sales cancelled, serve yourself buffet changed to staff service, gaming tables closed etc. Fred customer service dept very unhelpful, accept no responsibility and won't entertain a compensation discussion despite an apparent history of similar problems on this ship. Have others had similar experiences? Very disappointing.

Recently back from a cruise on Balmoral. Code red special measures in place from day 2 because of outbreaks of gastrointestinal problems so cruise experience affected - jacuzzis and gym closed, many toilets around ship closed, table top sales cancelled, serve yourself buffet changed to staff service, gaming tables closed etc. Fred customer service dept very unhelpful, accept no responsibility and won't entertain a compensation discussion despite an apparent history of similar problems on this ship. Have others had similar experiences? Very disappointing.

Unfortunately every cruise ship suffers from these GI outbreaks and we have had over 200 nights with Fred and never suffered but fell foul on a Royal Caribbean ship. I think you are a bit naive to expect Fred Olsen to admit liability and discuss compensation with you. If I read you post correctly you weren't even affected but you feel your holiday was spoiled. If so you may find a "no win no fee" legal company to take it on but be prepared to do this on every cruise you do.

Which cruise was this?

My wife and I sailed on the Balmoral Old England to New England Cruise in April/May this year. Three days before sailing we received a letter asking us to arrive an hour later for embarkation as they had an outbreak of Norovirus on the previous cruise and wanted to deep clean the ship (not sure what they could achieve in an hour!). The restrictions mentioned in the above post were in place from the second we got on the ship. In this case it is apparent that the norovirus was on the ship prior to embarkation. We received a minimal amount of compensation for inconvenience. Ironically for us, it was not the norovirus restrictions that has put us of sailing with Fred Olsen again! What has put us off is the mediocre food and entertainment that does not compare well with other lines that we have sailed with. Everything onboard appeared to be aimed at serving the elderly. Choices of dessert often included jelly and rice pudding. The quality of food presented was inconsistent and ranged from good to inedible. If my wife and I ordered the same meal it more often than not looked completely when it arrived. This was also quite an expensive cruise which didn't give value for money.

• 2 weeks later...

It happens on all the time, our first ever cruise with P&O was late because of an outbreak and had to be deep cleaned before we could get on the ship, but it still was there on our cruise. It did not stop our holiday

You just have to get on with the why the cruise company deals with it.

It happens everywhere.

When your at home they'd say that you're got a 24 hour bug. But on a ship it as a name that's all

Sent from my iPad using Forums