Warnemunde to Schwerin to Rostock

Hello all. Our ship docks in Rostock and I already have my Lander ticket but I can't seem to find our the best way to get to Rostock station. Can I walk? Taxi? tram?

Hi, please see the page 'Berths LP31/LP41' on my web site for full details on how to get from the commercial docks to Rostock main station.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will arrive in Warnemunde on Whit Monday, June 5th. Per travel info , Schwerin Castle Will be open that day from 10 till 6, but shops and shopping center closed.cafe and restaurants are open. We have to decide what to do...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand Schwerin castle is closed on Monday. Is it possible to see it from outside ? I am interest in taking exterior photo of the castle.

Yes definitely you can walk around the grounds, we took many good photos. The town is very nice too and we had a wonderful lunch overlooking a lake and the castle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will arrive in Warnemunde on Whit Monday, June 5th. Per travel info , Schwerin Castle Will be open that day from 10 till 6, but shops and shopping center closed.cafe and restaurants are open. We have to decide what to do...

Are you about Schwerin Castle open on June 5 ? From Schwerin castle site, they close on all Mondays. Look up the calendar, all Mondays are greyed out.

https://www.museum-schwerin.de/en/

Per the Schwerin information office:

Monday June 5th is a holiday. The castle Schwerin is open ten to six.

The shops and shoppingcenter are closed.

Cafe & restaurant are opened.

Best regards

Cornelia Böttcher

TOURIST-INFORMATION Schwerin

Am Markt 14/Rathaus • 19055 Schwerin

Telefon: + 49 (0) 385 5925214

Fax: + 49 (0) 385 555094

E-Mail: boettcher@schwerin.info

Web: http://www.schwerin.info

Rechnungsanschrift: STADTMARKETING Gesellschaft Schwerin mbH • Puschkinstr. 44 • 19055 Schwerin

Geschäftsführerin: Martina Müller

Amtsgericht Schwerin: HRB 4267 • Ust-Id.Nr.: DE 179 282 522

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello, I just want to go from the train stop by the cruise port in Warnemunde to The train stop closest to the church in Rostock. What is the name of the starting and ending position train stations? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello, I just want to go from the train stop by the cruise port in Warnemunde to The train stop closest to the church in Rostock. What is the name of the starting and ending position train stations? Thanks

Hi, the starting station is 'Warnemuende' which is a terminus and the end station is 'Rostock Hbf' which is the terminus for the trains from Warnemuende. From Rostock Hbf you can either take a tram from the lower level of the station to the stop 'Neuer Markt' or walk, about 15-20mins, but there is nothing really of interest between the station and the city centre. Your ticket covers both the train and the tram. St Mary's church is just across the market place from the tram stop.

For details re times and fares please see my web site.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...

The 2-person ticket is 27 Euros in Total = 13,50 Euros per person

The single person ticket is 23 Euros = 23 Euros per person.

So the more persons you are buying the ticket for,the lower the price per person gets. ;)

Hi, I am not quite sure to which ticket you are referring but if it is the Mecklenburg Lander Ticket the pricing information is as follows

"The regional day ticket for Mecklenburg-West Pomerania is valid from 09:00 to 03:00 on the following day, all day on weekends and public holidays, on all regional and rapid transit (S-Bahn) trains operated by Deutsche Bahn and other railway undertakings in Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.

Price in 2nd class: EUR 23 plus EUR 4 per extra passenger (max. 4)."

Information taken from the official DB website in English.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/regional-day-tickets.shtml

Therefore:-

1 person on the ticket - 23 euro

2 persons - 27 euro

3 persons - 31 euro

4 persons - 35 euro

5 persons - 39 euro

The price of a standard return ticket, valid for 3 months, from Warnemünde to Schwerin is 42.40 euro pp.

Happy cruising

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Thank you CruiseMH and Travelanni. My mind was not working earlier. June 5, 2017 is a public holiday Whit Monday. I can buy a 2-person Mecklenburg Lander Ticket for 27 Euro. This ticket will be good for all day for June 5 traveling between Warnemunde and Schwerin .

Will our landers ticket work for the tram in Rostock? If not where do we buy that tram ticket to get into town?

No, the Lander ticket is NOT valid on the tram. The single local transport ticket can be purchased from ticket machines located on the railway station at Warnemeunde, at all tram stops and inside the trams. Please remember to validate it in the little yellow/orange box on the tram.

NB there is no such thing as a return ticket for the tram, you need to buy two singles.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thanks we already bought the lander ticket, now will have to buy the tram ticket when we get on tram in Rostock.

I just realised that you posted a question earlier and said you only wished to get from Warnemuende to the church in Rostock.

That being so you did not need a Lander ticket, only a local transport ticket which costs the same (2.10 euro each way) for the whole journey, train and tram, as a ticket on the tram from the Hbf to the city centre. Unfortunately the Lander ticket bought on-line is not transferable so you cannot sell it on. It would be checked on the train and the buyer would have to pay the full standard fare and possibly a fine, but you could make use of it yourself by visiting Schwerin first and then Rostock. St Mary's church is open until 6pm.

I am sorry if confusion about our local ticket system has caused you to buy an unnecessary ticket.

Anni

For the benefit of other readers:

For full details of tickets required for the various trips from Warnemuende please see my website.

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
extra info

My ship will dock in Rostock and I plan to take the train to Schwerin to spend a few hours there. Is there any benefit to buy the Lander ticket in advance, or can I just do that when I arrive at the station? Are reservations needed for the trains? Thanks!

My ship will dock in Rostock and I plan to take the train to Schwerin to spend a few hours there. Is there any benefit to buy the Lander ticket in advance, or can I just do that when I arrive at the station? Are reservations needed for the trains? Thanks!

There is no real advantage except saving time.

You cannot make seat reservations on the Regional Express trains to Schwerin but there is always plenty of room.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...

:)

If I buy a Lander ticket online for 8:33AM departure from Warnemünde for June 5, 2017 which is a public holiday. Can I use the ticket for a later/earlier departure or am I restricted for 8:33AM train ?

Lander tickets do not have specific departure times only the date. They are valid on any regional train from 3am on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays or from 9am Monday to Friday.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Anni,

We are 2 senior ladies doing a Baltics cruise from Warnemunde. We need a little guidance from you on the following:

A. Traveling from Berlin to Warnemunde on FlixBus on June 22, which stop is closest to the cruise ship? We have heavy luggage (50 lbs.each) and can't walk far. Is taxi or Uber readily available?

B. If we arrive and check-in at NCL around 1pm, what sights are easy to visit, if we are able to get off the ship, in the afternoon?

C. On July 1, when we disembark from cruise, we are traveling from Rostock to Frankfurt on a 10:30 IC train. What's the most efficient way to make this train?

Thanks for your help.

• 5 weeks later...

We took train from Warnemunde to Schwerin Mitte station on 5 June 2017 (Regal Princess). Change train in Rostock. From Schwerin Mitte station is a short walk to the Schwerin Castle. We bought ticket online. Took the 8:33am train from Warnemunde, Took the 13:44 train from Schwerin Mitte to Rostock. Took a tram to Rostock down town. Back to Warnemunde with lots of spare time. 27 Euro round trip ticket/person.

Schwerin Castle is one of top 10 in the world. Worth a visit. The garden face the lake is beautiful.

If you visit Schwerin castle inside, there are 2 separate entrances for different exhibits. Make sure you visit both. We almost missed one.

Go early to avoid those on excursion tour. When we came out of castle there were many excursion tourists. No need to join excursion, this is an easy DIY.

We took train from Warnemunde to Schwerin Mitte station on 5 June 2017 (Regal Princess). Change train in Rostock. From Schwerin Mitte station is a short walk to the Schwerin Castle. We bought ticket online. Took the 8:33am train from Warnemunde, Took the 13:44 train from Schwerin Mitte to Rostock. Took a tram to Rostock down town. Back to Warnemunde with lots of spare time. 27 Euro round trip ticket/person.

Schwerin Castle is one of top 10 in the world. Worth a visit. The garden face the lake is beautiful.

If you visit Schwerin castle inside, there are 2 separate entrances for different exhibits. Make sure you visit both. We almost missed one.

Go early to avoid those on excursion tour. When we came out of castle there were many excursion tourists. No need to join excursion, this is an easy DIY.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and glad you enjoyed your day.

However, for the benefit of others doing the same trip please note that the LANDER TICKET costs 27euros for TWO people and IS NOT VALID ON THE TRAM. For this you require a local transport ticket and if caught traveling without one the fine is 50euros, on the spot.

Also you can get off the train at Schwerin Hbf ( the stop before Mitte). The distance to the castle is about the same and the walk much more pleasant, along a lakeside and through the old town.

Happy cruising:)

Anni