.......idle jottings

ho-hum

"Only beer to drink, poor Raggy!"

While celebrating our declaration of independance from the rascally British yesterday, I quaffed upwards of six pints of India Pale Ale. Figured it was a fitting one-finger salute to the crown.

Prince Harry's party piece is six pints in 30 minutes...who says the Royals are out of touch with modern society? With such stoic endeavours from a member of the Family plus those in former colonies, I suggest the Crown is secure for many more years to come.

Talking about former colonies Mr H, a Maharajah tour of India is a trip pencilled in for sometime in the somewhat hazy distant future.

And Cuba...now there is a teasing prospect. My wife visited a while back on a work trip researching the rum industry and would love to go back. As for a SeaDream voyage, would they organise it as a Havana roundtrip or perhaps out of Miami/Fort Lauderdale?

I have researched the Rum Industry all over the Caribbean and need to study it in Cuba to be fully versed. Please put in a good word for me. Cuba would be an ideal MIA round trip for SeaDream. It is my understanding that the harbor in Havana is basically silted in to about 25 ft. Many years of no dredging. So, until the infrastructure improves, the big ships will probably have to miss it. More good news for SeaDream.

Well now that the mid-year holidays are over, we can now refocus on the upcoming (that is in SEVENTEEN MONTHS) American presidential election campaign. So far the only two personages of note (emphasis added) not running are Kim Kadashian and Caitlyn Jenner, but its still early and once Donald Trump implodes, who knows. Holding two passports as I do, it is becoming an embarrassment to tell anyone of my origins.

But I digress. We have traveled to Cuba before albeit not on a cruise and prior to the recent rapprochement. The Cubans could not be a nicer lot and this in spite of the many privations they have endured under Castro. Food and accommodations would still be found wanting for frequenters of Sea Dream, though it is reasonable to expect this will improve as tourism increases. Unfortunately, most provisions come from offshore, are expensive, and available only to a privileged few. Again, as markets open up and Cubans are allowed more access to goods, change should be in the offing.

We have friends who recently took a cruise (on a Canadian line) around Cuba, followed by a weeks stay

in Havana and loved it. As they said, this might be a good time to visit before it becomes spoiled!

Good point Commander. I would love to see Cuba now. It is a bit hard to think of SeaDream being a part of "spoiling" something but the crowds will inevitably follow. It is just too convenient. In a younger iteration, I was Assistant Port Director at the Port of Pensacola, FL. At one time, Pensacola was the premier passenger and freight port to Havana. Just about a direct South shot to Havana. My parents went in the 50s on a ship from Miami and sensibly left us kiddies at home.:eek: Bet they had fun.:D

Si sir, Cuba esta en la lista. As far as the water shortage in California (we have no shortage in AZ) name me one world problem that does not ultimately come back to some form of too many people. The climate is changing as it has always done throughout the millennia. Stick around long enough and you might see dinosaurs again.

"Might see dinosaurs again" you say, Jimmy boy.

HH's posting to one !

Haha

Well how do you get to over 5000 replies.

Did'nt you give a post on CC about the Mayflower !

Oh sorry Jim, it was just so tempting !

HH expects and deserves a full rebuttal.

Yes you are right again.

The people of the world put great demands on the planet.

HH was sincerely concerned about the specific problems to that part of the US as he is elsewhere in the world: are'nt we all.

Do you mean my old Drachma in the drawer are soon to be valid?

The socks that are in the same drawer are probably of equal value so don't get too excited old chum.

Do you get any respite in the evenings old chap (from the heat) ?

Still HH would love to "live". in the desert for three weeks a year

On average, the temperature at night hits a low that is 30 to 35 degrees F lower than the high. So, once the sun is over the Yardarm, it becomes tolerable again. If you do choose to live in the desert for a few weeks (assuming not in the Summer) you will be amazed at how nice it is. We suggest you check the Phoenician Resort website for a taste. Of course you can also stay in our guest room in our little bungalow. It is probably the size of Blondies shoe closet but you are most welcome.

Well HH thought if he threw out a line that you might bite.

Gotcha !

But seriously how kind and a visit is definitely on the cards.

The Phoenician is a tad big old chap.

We have a little bungalow too for guests. We think it's charming and we would naturally feel the same staying with you.

Maybe though Hum should be looking at adobes in New Mezico...Georgia O'Keefe and all that.

Santa Fe is very nice. We rent a house there that is walking distance to the old square and other attractions. Quite a bit cooler at that higher elevation. Lots of Artsy Far*sy stuff to trap your Sterling.:eek: And the Mayflower wasn't half bad.

Yours Truly,

Jurassic Jim

Just heard this morning on TV that Carnival has received permission from the US government to start sailing from Miami to Cuba in May of 2016 on a new cruise line called Fathom I think. This line just started sailing to the Dominican Republic on a 700 passenger ship that had been a part of their P&O line. The Cuba cruise supposedly fits the current requirements for educational, social and cultural exchanges which is the same way many land tours from the US to Cuba get approved. The cruise still has to be approved by the Cuban government.

So perhaps this opens the door for other lines such as Sea Dream to get approval to sail to Cuba. If Sea Dream sailed to Cuba, I would go in a heart beat!

Just heard this morning on TV that Carnival has received permission from the US government to start sailing from Miami to Cuba in May of 2016 on a new cruise line called Fathom I think. This line just started sailing to the Dominican Republic on a 700 passenger ship that had been a part of their P&O line. The Cuba cruise supposedly fits the current requirements for educational, social and cultural exchanges which is the same way many land tours from the US to Cuba get approved. The cruise still has to be approved by the Cuban government.

So perhaps this opens the door for other lines such as Sea Dream to get approval to sail to Cuba. If Sea Dream sailed to Cuba, I would go in a heart beat!

Great reporting whatnot...fancy dropping SD Miami or Oslo a line ?

Why the fascination with Cuba ? Is it the Brits India ?

"Only beer to drink, poor Raggy!"

While celebrating our declaration of independance from the rascally British yesterday, I quaffed upwards of six pints of India Pale Ale. Figured it was a fitting one-finger salute to the crown.

Prince Harry's party piece is six pints in 30 minutes...who says the Royals are out of touch with modern society? With such stoic endeavours from a member of the Family plus those in former colonies, I suggest the Crown is secure for many more years to come.

Talking about former colonies Mr H, a Maharajah tour of India is a trip pencilled in for sometime in the somewhat hazy distant future.

And Cuba...now there is a teasing prospect. My wife visited a while back on a work trip researching the rum industry and would love to go back. As for a SeaDream voyage, would they organise it as a Havana roundtrip or perhaps out of Miami/Fort Lauderdale?

You forget that some former colonists can be so uncouth at times don't you dear chap !

We popped over there and tried to help them out a bit but what did they do ?

Dumped our tea into the water ! Quite outrageous.

But we must be tolerant, they know, no better, poor souls.

“Flipping the finger”! Really, Raggy !

He hasn’t been the same since defending Mr. dhill or whatever his name is.

Quite a ruffian and n'er do well by all accounts.

Obviously Raggy has fallen in with the wrong crowd.

We should take the advice of HH’s mater and "keep away from rough boys" (well, for a short time anyhoo).

But HH must admit that the weather vane at Chateau Ho Hum actually has the two finger sign prominently displayed.

Hopefully you know of the significance of one of them.

A short form of communication often displayed to other motorists that do not have the same competence in operating moving vehicular machines for the purposes of transportation as your own HH does and which HH would also be tempted to display to Mr.Dhill (assuming he was not more physically robust as HH: a 7 year old girl could beat up HH. No the sporting physique left this skeletal frame quite some time ago sadly and was replaced with a bulky onesey of pink, wobbly bits).

If you ask HH nicely and amend your evil ways maybe Hum will post it Raggy.

You are off to India: how marvellous.

Do tell of the itinerary.

To reclaim the family's tea estate outside Darjeeling.

Maybe it's a Tantric Yoga retreat.

Maybe you are a practitioner of the Kama Sutra and returning for advanced training.

Pray tell Swami MACT-ji.

Your guess is as good as mine about which departing port for Cuba: your suggestions seem most reasonable though but JJ (Jurassic Jim) is the one to ask.

Your thoughts JJ ?

Why the fascination with Cuba ? Is it the Brits India ?

I think it is a combination of what has up until now been forbidden fruit to us Americans, combined with the stories we heard in childhood when those of our parents' generation (albeit the wealthier and more sophistaced parents - mine not included) vacationed there. Ever seen the show "Guys and Dolls"? It takes place in the fifties, I think, and Cuba is one of the locales in the show.

You are off to India: how marvellous.

Do tell of the itinerary.

To reclaim the family's tea estate outside Darjeeling.

Maybe it's a Tantric Yoga retreat.

Maybe you are a practitioner of the Kama Sutra and returning for advanced training.

Pray tell Swami MACT-ji.

Unfortunately at this time, nothing more than a "trip for the future". I did have a fantasy trip of a "Passage to India" along the Silk Road but is seems such a route does suffer from an increasing number of pot holes caused by the odd landmine, heat seeking rocket and other unpleasant occurrences that would probably cause a tad too many inconveniences.

The closest I will get to India in the meantime will be a trip to the Taj Mahal...very good ginger chicken curry, biggest nans in town, highly recommended.

Once asked for Tantric yoghurt at the local deli...it can be quite stinging...that slap in the face.

Here's mine, now show me yours.

Charming !

Not the best "chat up line" HH has heard but there it is.

Here is HH's custom built weather vane.

image.jpg.8f1fc9e1b4bcb92065b17e3152afb33b.jpg

Yes the fingers support a cigar.

HH used to smoke Cubans until 8 years ago, almost to the day.

So when the wind blows the fingers either denote "Victory" or "Feck off" !

A "Feck" is totally different to another sounding description and reflects HH's Irish roots, where it is used softly, playfully almost humorously.

Give it a test drive.

Feck !

See it feels quite different does'nt it ?

And so it is received differently.

Another useful tip from HH.

In the next instalment of HH's self-improvement series, HH will be demonstrating the benefits of adopting the word "Shed" as an alternative to quite another vulgar common usage.

"I dont like to wear tuxedos and ties on holiday" !

So HH assumes you are wearing them all the time when not on holiday !

Do you and Frau gcmv work as a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers double act touring the various beer houses of Bavaria ?

Ho-hum hit the nail right on the head; but as ho-hum may remember, on SD Herr and Frau gcmv were "incognito" (as on E2) - no ties/tuxedos; the attached picture should proof this:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BPBNJ7/ginger-rogers-fred-astaire-follow-the-fleet-1936-BPBNJ7.jpg

:)

Unfortunately at this time, nothing more than a "trip for the future". I did have a fantasy trip of a "Passage to India" along the Silk Road but is seems such a route does suffer from an increasing number of pot holes caused by the odd landmine, heat seeking rocket and other unpleasant occurrences that would probably cause a tad too many inconveniences.

The closest I will get to India in the meantime will be a trip to the Taj Mahal...very good ginger chicken curry, biggest nans in town, highly recommended.

Once asked for Tantric yoghurt at the local deli...it can be quite stinging...that slap in the face.

Haha

Ginger chicken curry ....mmmm

Vegetable dhansak for HH.

We are lucky to have "Brick Lane" near us ...... a curry heaven r should that be nirvana.

Charming !

Not the best "chat up line" HH has heard but there it is.

Here is HH's custom built weather vane.

[ATTACH]355245[/ATTACH]

Yes the fingers support a cigar.

HH used to smoke Cubans until 8 years ago, almost to the day.

So when the wind blows the fingers either denote "Victory" or "Feck off" !

A "Feck" is totally different to another sounding description and reflects HH's Irish roots, where it is used softly, playfully almost humorously.

Give it a test drive.

Feck !

See it feels quite different does'nt it ?

And so it is received differently.

Another useful tip from HH.

In the next instalment of HH's self-improvement series, HH will be demonstrating the benefits of adopting the word "Shed" as an alternative to quite another vulgar common usage.

Let me see if I get this right: Two fingers in a Vee shape upheld with the palm facing away from you means Winston and Victory. The same vee with the palm facing you means "Feck"? Did I get that right? We are much more simple here out West with hand gestures. In fact we "get shed" of something when we are finished. Not what you had in mind?? We try, HH, we try......

I have researched the Rum Industry all over the Caribbean and need to study it in Cuba to be fully versed. Please put in a good word for me. Cuba would be an ideal MIA round trip for SeaDream. It is my understanding that the harbor in Havana is basically silted in to about 25 ft. Many years of no dredging. So, until the infrastructure improves, the big ships will probably have to miss it. More good news for SeaDream.

Are you trying to "blag" a place on a visit around the rum houses of Cuba, JJ ?

And on your "todd" !

What about your chums Ho Hum & Sundance ?

Just seen "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels".

A great British film.

Hence the British slang.

Blag

British slang term meaning to gain, usually entrance to a restricted area or club, or some material good, through confidence trickery or cheekiness. Lying is also acceptable.

On your todd

British slang term meaning to be alone, having no one else around for company. Can also mean sitting on your backside.

Let me see if I get this right: Two fingers in a Vee shape upheld with the palm facing away from you means Winston and Victory. The same vee with the palm facing you means "Feck"? Did I get that right? We are much more simple here out West with hand gestures. In fact we "get shed" of something when we are finished. Not what you had in mind?? We try, HH, we try......

Let Winnie give you a demonstration of the "Victory" sign !

image.jpg.301fdbf315b37ba0fde402f8dda46011.jpg

Blag

British slang term meaning to gain, usually entrance to a restricted area or club, or some material good, through confidence trickery or cheekiness. Lying is also acceptable.

On your todd

British slang term meaning to be alone, having no one else around for company. Can also mean sitting on your backside.

I recall when I was a young sprog that there was a BBC programme on at lunchtime called "Watch with Mother". (How very BBC!) Fifteen minutes sitting on mother's knee engrossed by such entertainment with some dodgy puppet before a well earned afternoon nap.

Well...we now have 2015's equivalent. "Learn with Ho Hum" Ever wanted to try and get your head around the usage of the English language by these mad British?

Tune in here for your daily dose and then with your new found wisdom bore rigid your ever decreasing circle of friends.

First lesson...usage of the word "sprog". First one right gets a letter excusing them of ever attending a "Learn with Ho Hum" session again.

Edited by MACT

I recall when I was a young sprog that there was a BBC programme on at lunchtime called "Watch with Mother". (How very BBC!) Fifteen minutes sitting on mother's knee engrossed by such entertainment with some dodgy puppet before a well earned afternoon nap.

Well...we now have 2015's equivalent. "Learn with Ho Hum" Ever wanted to try and get your head around the usage of the English language by these mad British?

Tune in here for your daily dose and then with your new found wisdom bore rigid your ever decreasing circle of friends.

First lesson...usage of the word "sprog". First one right gets a letter excusing them of ever attending a "Learn with Ho Hum" session again.

Oh “flob-a-dob” to you !

Now they were HH’s favourites, sorry Andy.

High drama indeed when Bill & Ben were still playing, oblivious to “Little Weeds” high pitched calls that the Gardener was returning after lunch !

Dah-dah-daaaaah-da !!!!

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

Sorry to non-Brits; this will make very little sense.

In essence two grown men are talking about very, very old television programmes for ver, very young children !

And you thought this drivel could'nt plummet any lower.