Excursion prices

babygoo

Hi

Had a quick look at FO website but there are no more cruises to Scandanavia this year and the cruises for next year do not show excursions yet.

September 2014 we paid £38 each for a walking tour of Alesund (Art Nouveau Centre and Walk), a trip on Flam railway and then on to Geilo with lunch and return on the coach was £133, and a visit to Kjenndalen Glacier and a boat trip on the lake near Olden cost £52.

Norway is very expensive and the excursions are pretty expensive too.

You could call FO Tours office in Ipswich and ask them for an idea of excursion costs.

The scenery is spectacular so your Mum may still have a wonderful trip without having to leave the ship and fork out too much for excursions.

I hope you find a suitable cruise.

The ship excursions Are vastly overpriced and not needed in Norway

Ships excursions are always more expensive, I arrange my own but as I said in the original post my mum is unable to this. The cruise she fancies also stops in Helsinki, Copenhagen and St Petersburg.

We are regular F. Olsen cruisers and because of the price of ship's tours we have resolved not to buy them unless it is to realise a life's dream or somesuch. The cheaper ones are for walking around the location and the more expensive ones often involve sitting in a coach, being herded around :(and also having some walking to do. We take each port as it comes and as they are tourist destinations there are often locals on hand, eager to offer us something!

That is our approach to the problem but it won't suit everyone!

Edited by Discount lovers
a speling mistace.

We have done Fred Baltic cruise in August this year. Sorry just realised you want Norway and not the Baltics, but bookable prices may be similar.

Aarlborg we just wandered round the town on our own. Bookable trips priced £30 - £50

Copenhagen we paid 20 euros each to do a trip round on the Hoho bus (hop on hop off) . Bookable trips priced from £35 - £95.

We did the same in Helsinki for 20 euros each. My husband walks with 2 sticks so finds it difficult to get around if he has to stand too long, so after having dinner on board, he stayed on the ship while I went off and caught the HoHo bus again using the same ticket to go to a beach I had seen to spend a little time. Bookable trips priced from £36 to £80.

St Petersburg you must book ship tours or a private tour which covers a visa for you, as you cannot leave independently otherwise unless you have obtained your own visa. For this reason we advance booked the tours we wanted to go on before leaving GB. On day 1 I did Peterhof Park tour £45. We both went on Evening on the waterways of St Petersburg for £45 each. On day 2 we both went on Panoramic Drive - the Gulf of Finland for £35 each. Bookable trips priced from £35 to £95.

Riga Latvia we boarded a sightseeing bus which was ok but not as good as the Ho Ho buses for 15 euros each. Loved wandering round here afterwards. Bookable tours from £25 to £34.

Travemunde Germany we bought a tour on board for £50 each Lubeck boat tour. Bookable trips from £50 to £75.

Hope this helps. We had to read all the information to decide if there was too much walking for my husband, but we both had a fantastic time.

Edited by gillhalfpint

It is actually very easy to search Fred's website for details of excursions which have been offered in the past along with approximate prices when the excursion was last offered.

If you go to the 'places we visit' tab on the top of their website, you can search destinations from their. The site does prefer to send you into cruises offered rather than ports of call and shore excursions, but if you are careful which link you use you can get into any port of call and the shore excursions previouisly offered.

The only exception to this I can find is if a port of call is not on any cruise planned by Fred in the future, so any port in any of their current brochures should be easily searchable. This does not mean the same excursions will be available in the future, but most are the usual offerings.

Edited by tring

In Copenhagen the HOHO bus stops right outside where the ship docks. In SPB we did the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla, which was excellent. Babygoo may Ibe rude and enquire why your Mum can't book independent trips, I have mobility issues myself, but only do a ship's excursion as a last resort.

It is actually very easy to search Fred's website for details of excursions which have been offered in the past along with approximate prices when the excursion was last offered.

If you go to the 'places we visit' tab on the top of their website, you can search destinations from their. The site does prefer to send you into cruises offered rather than ports of call and shore excursions, but if you are careful which link you use you can get into any port of call and the shore excursions previouisly offered.

The only exception to this I can find is if a port of call is not on any cruise planned by Fred in the future, so any port in any of their current brochures should be easily searchable. This does not mean the same excursions will be available in the future, but most are the usual offerings.

Very helpful thank you. Took a bit of searching as you say the site directs you to cruises but got there in the end