NY use Cunard for hotel and transfer or on our own?

quandrea

Just booked fall cruise out of New York on QM2. We are a family of five. Kids twelve, seven and seven. Should we use Cunard for their hotel/transfer pkg or book our own hotel and make our way to the pier by taxi or car service. Will be flying into Lagusrdia and will need airport transfers too.

You have to do the math...check out what Cunard offers and see if you can do better on your own.

Your coming into LGA, do you want to go across the river and into Manhattan or stay in Brooklyn for the night? Cunard would take you into the city. LGA is about 14 miles from the dock but I assume you're coming in the night before since you're asking about a hotel.

People say the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is very nice and I'm sure there are other hotels in Brooklyn.

From the city a car service or taxi would probably be in the $40-$50 range. Cunard might charge by the person so it might be more.

Really you have to do some homework if your goal is to save money. If it's not, if you just don't want to do any planning on your own, then go through Cunard they'll take care of it for you.

We did it on our own. We saved a lot of money.

Your first decision is do you want to go into Manhattan for a few days, or not? That will cost you a lot more money.

Other options are hotels around LaGuardia or Brooklyn. We ended up at a perfectly lovely hotel in Flushing, Queens that was well reviewed on Trip Advisor. The hotel had complimentary transport from the airport to the hotel. The price was very good for New York City. We took a cab from Flushing to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal n the day of the cruise.

There are numerous threads that deal with the best Brooklyn hotels and why.

All of those are viable options and not difficult. You just need to do a little research. Use Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. It should come together. If this is too hard, there is always the Cunard option.

Many thanks to all who replied to my thread. I've been doing my research. Cunard was going to put us up in two rooms at the Hilton. With transfers, the fee was coming in at about $2000.

On my own, I've found the Hyatt Place New York Midtown South. One room has two queens and a full size sofa bed. That means only one room. With breakfast for the five of us, using a AAA rate, it comes in at $492, taxes included.

Dial 7 quoted me $59 plus approx $9 for tolls plus tip for airport transfer.

Transfer to Red Hook would be $66 plus tip.

My math puts me at about $650 for the one night in New York.

If anyone has any input on the Hyatt, I'd appreciate it. I've been to New York twice--both times, I was just passing through, so it's all new to me. My last time was arriving via the QM2 on our transatlantic seven years ago. Wonderful memories.

You've provided great information for future users of this forum. I knew Cunard would be expensive but that's really a lot.

There was a thread recently about hotels in Brooklyn (link below). Lots of good suggestions. Only you can decide if going across the river to stay in Manhattan for one night is worth the cost of transportation of course.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2294299&highlight=brooklyn+hotels

Another, highly regarded car service that you might want to get a quote from (regardless if you do Manhattan or Brooklyn) is Arecibo, 170 5th Ave, Brooklyn, 718-783-6465.

Good luck.

I've become addicted to New York and Broadway so my personal preference is always to stay in Manhattan, but I recognize for those arriving the day before and needing a comfortable, affordable spot, it may make more sense to stay in Queens or Brooklyn.

I've heard great reports from people who stay in Long Island City, roughly midway between LaGuardia and Red Hook. What makes it so convenient is it's a quick subway trip into Midtown. I was just curious and checked for the days after we arrive in mid May and found the Hilton Garden Inn Long Island City for $201/night. It's next to the Queens Plaza subway stop (E,M,R lines direct to Midtown & Times Square) so you can hop into the city for the night.

(The subway's pretty far from LGA and Red Hook - and JFK isn't fast)

Edited by MarkBearSF

If you don't get to NYC very often or this will be your first visit. You should plan to stay in Manhattan as that is where the action is for both adults and kids. Tons to see and do even for a single day. There are good three and four star hotels for less than what you have already found. Although fall is a high demand time in the city. Keep looking. The fees from the airport and to the pier sound about right. If you get a cab instead of a car service, make sure they trip the meter. Manu of the cabbies will try to tell you there is a fixed rate to the pier or airport. That is true in car services but not by taxi. The meter total will usually be lower than their quote.

If you want a great way to see a lot of the city take a double decker tour bus.

When you return, use Cunard's shuttle to the airport from the pier. Otherwise Cunard makes a ton on their packages as you have discovered. They should be avoided.

Many thanks to all who replied to my thread. I've been doing my research. Cunard was going to put us up in two rooms at the Hilton. With transfers, the fee was coming in at about $2000.

On my own, I've found the Hyatt Place New York Midtown South. One room has two queens and a full size sofa bed. That means only one room. With breakfast for the five of us, using a AAA rate, it comes in at $492, taxes included.

Dial 7 quoted me $59 plus approx $9 for tolls plus tip for airport transfer.

Transfer to Red Hook would be $66 plus tip.

My math puts me at about $650 for the one night in New York.

If anyone has any input on the Hyatt, I'd appreciate it. I've been to New York twice--both times, I was just passing through, so it's all new to me. My last time was arriving via the QM2 on our transatlantic seven years ago. Wonderful memories.

Unless I missed it, OP doesn't mention when in the autumn they're looking for an NYC hotel. If it happens to be mid to late September, they will be looking at premium pricing due to events like opening of the UN General Assembly and Fashion Week.

As for outside if Manhattan, Brooklyn has it's own allure. Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Museum, Prospect Park, NY Aquarium, Coney Island, the Brooklyn Bridge (and the view of Manhattan not visible in Manhattan) and food "to die for": DiFara's Pizza, Frankies Sputino, Peter Luger, River Cafe, etc.

Manhattan? FUGGEDABOUTIT!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Unless I missed it, OP doesn't mention when in the autumn they're looking for an NYC hotel. If it happens to be mid to late September, they will be looking at premium pricing due to events like opening of the UN General Assembly and Fashion Week.

As for outside if Manhattan, Brooklyn has it's own allure. Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Museum, Prospect Park, NY Aquarium, Coney Island, the Brooklyn Bridge (and the view of Manhattan not visible in Manhattan) and food "to die for": DiFara's Pizza, Frankies Sputino, Peter Luger, River Cafe, etc.

Manhattan? FUGGEDABOUTIT!

You tempt me with Brooklyn! Sounds right up our alley. Pizza is our favourite. Must remember to get it. I will keep checking rates. I actually booked yesterday on the Hyatt site. This afternoon, the same room was sixty dollars cheaper, still on the Hyatt site.

We are going last week in September. Sailing to Quebec. Not round trip unfortunately.

Waldorf Astoria is lovely and historic and surprisingly affordable.

Also, many rooms in the main building, are in serious need of a makeover.

If you want to spend $$$$ staying in the tower, that's another thing.

Otherwise, use Trip Advisor, and check out reviews and overall ratings. One can do a lot better than the Waldorf for less money.

Found Homewood Suites midtown Manhattan. $388. Seems nice. Brooklyn seems expensive or not suitable for five of us. I've read that staying in Lower Manhattan is better. Is there truth in that.

At the end of the voyage, I booked Auberge St Pierre. Two minute walk to pier. Suite for five with gourmet breakfast. $350. Stayed there in '95. It's a great little hotel. The Chateau came in at nearly $900.

Found Homewood Suites midtown Manhattan. $388. Seems nice. Brooklyn seems expensive or not suitable for five of us. I've read that staying in Lower Manhattan is better. Is there truth in that.

At the end of the voyage, I booked Auberge St Pierre. Two minute walk to pier. Suite for five with gourmet breakfast. $350. Stayed there in '95. It's a great little hotel. The Chateau came in at nearly $900.

Midtown is best if you want to see places like Rickefeller Center, get half price tickets to a Broadway show from the TKTS booth, or shop on 5th Avenue. Check out the Hilton Garden Inns (we have stayed at the one on 8th Avenue). We live in New Jersey and make frequent overnight trips to see shows, dine and visit museums. Hope you enjoy this fabulous city!

Also, many rooms in the main building, are in serious need of a makeover.

If you want to spend $$$$ staying in the tower, that's another thing.

Otherwise, use Trip Advisor, and check out reviews and overall ratings. One can do a lot better than the Waldorf for less money.

Sorry to hear that. Having had a bad experience at the ultra modern Hudson with it's transparent bathroom walls, we like to stay at the Waldorf Astoria, our third time was last year and on each occasion we book a corner room which is a slight upgrade from the basic standard Queens Room (as we had heard similar stories about the most basic Queens Room). Corner rooms arn't much more to upgrade and have a really lovely swanky 1920's retro style. The free gym there is lovely too. The feel of the hotel is amazing with all the panelling. You also get attended to quicker in NY for a cab if you mention the Waldorf. Its also nicely situated and it's close to my favourite NYC steak House, Smith and Wollensky's :)

Edited by robbie_3